No, *NOT* the usual tow-hook question (length related)

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
2017 CX-5 GT (Canada):

Ignoring the huge debate that opens when “tow-hooks” and/or “tie-downs” etc. are mentioned....For this question I will refer to the part simply as an “eyelet”.

Does the REAR eyelet fit in the FRONT eyelet position, and if so, how far does the eye itself protrude?

The one specifically for the front is significantly longer, but it also looks like it protrudes much further out from the bumper when in place. I’d rather not whack my knee on it every time I walk past it. I’d prefer the sleeker look of the shorter eyelet if it physically fits. I just need to be able to attach a bow line rope from kayak when it’s on the roof rack. So as long as it threads in securely, and sticks out just beyond the bumper, it will suit my needs.

Don’t worry I won’t be towing the vehicle out of a ditch with it....... ;)

I’m also aware of the potential for paint rubbing with the shorter eyelet, and all the other alternative kayak tie down options etc., so don’t need options there, thank you.

Attachments

• 3119CE46-E1B2-4549-9AC7-04E22DCFF6D1.jpeg
    3119CE46-E1B2-4549-9AC7-04E22DCFF6D1.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 119
I have both the long and short eyelets for my CX, they came with the car, after I pointed out the fact that they were not in the car when I bought it to my salesman. He had a set shipped to me. I bought the long eyelet for use in my MX.

The long and short eyelets fit both the front and the rear of both cars.

I also have a kayak, a 14' tandem boat. I've had it up on top of the CX a few times and you will defiantly want to use the longer of the two eyelets in the front for this purpose. Any rope used to secure the bow will rub on the front of the hood. With the longer eyelet that rubbing will be minimized. I place a small piece of plastic 'cling' sheeting on the hood under where the ropes touched the paint. No problems.

As for your question about how far do these things protrude from the bumper? Sorry, I'm too lazy to go out to the garage and pull them out of their hiding places and measure it for you. At least this morning. lol

Somehow I did not get them in US by default. (for all my three Mazdas)
Did not bother to ask the salesman...

I didn't get them even though the molded foam trunk insert has a place for them.

I wonder if Home Depot has a bolt with that size thread. Then you could make a custom kayak tie down if you have a friend with a welder.

I wonder if Home Depot has a bolt with that size thread. Then you could make a custom kayak tie down if you have a friend with a welder.
You don't have to wonder... the knowledge sharing document has you covered.

@PTguy said: "The thread is M20-2.5" aka M20 x 2.5 mm

If I get motivated one day I might try welding a piece of 1" gas pipe to a bolt and loop to see if it would have the strength as a tie down.

I’m a big DIY’er and would have no problem fabricating something. However, by the time I track down and buy some threaded rod in the right size, plus some decent threaded eyes, etc. The C$32 + C$18 I’ve been quoted for (Canadian) OEM seems pretty good. I’ll paint them to match my blacked out emblems and roof rack etc and I’ll be good.👌🏼

Last edited:
Back