Plano, Texas, USA
Just noticed NHTSA has released 5-Star Safety Ratings for 2017 Mazda CX-5:

Overall Rating - 4 stars
Frontal Crash - 5 stars
Side Crash - 5 stars
Rollover - 4 stars

NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2017 MAZDA CX-5 SUV FWD
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2017 MAZDA CX-5 SUV AWD

Mazda has improved frontal crash rating on front passenger side from 3 stars on 2016 CX-5 to 5 stars. But the Side Crash Ratings on front passenger side and combined rear seat have downgraded from 5 stars on 2016 CX-5 to 4 stars. These should be the reason why the Overall Rating doesn't improve, and is still 4 stars like 2016 CX-5.

For comparison, 2017 Honda CR-V has all 5-star ratings in every category except Rollover. 2017 Toyota RAV4 has 5-star Overall Rating. Even the 2015 CX-5, like 2017 Honda CR-V, has all 5-star ratings in every category except Rollover!

Well I can't complain. I traded in a 2006 Mazda3 without side airbags so anything would be an improvement :D

Thankfully my 2016 has 5 stars for Combined Rear Seat Rating (where the baby sits)...

Thankfully my 2016 has 5 stars for Combined Rear Seat Rating (where the baby sits)...

" Why don't you take a look at our CR-V over here, sir, we know how important your little one is to you, and we care, too! That's why Honda engineered the CR-V to be one of the safest vehicles on the road, and you can drive easy knowing that your child is enjoying the trip in a 5-star safety rated vehicle *waves at the comparison display showing the CX5 and CR-V safety ratings*. Don't trust the lives of those you love to anything less than one of the best."

I think if you chanced upon that Honda sales-rep with your significant other while your child coo'ed quietly in the carrier or whatever children are kept in when they are out and about, you would have one HELLUVA time getting her to OK the purchase of a 2017 CX-5 "because it feels sporty" or ANY other reason. Am I wrong?

THIS is the area in which Mazda has really dropped the ball, I think. Not only is the vehicle not as safe as its competitors, but it's LESS SAFE than the LAST model. This is beyond a faux pas, and into the realm of "fatal flaw", especially considering they have gussied it up to be a family hauler vs. a "sporty CUV", moreso.

I now have "the fast, safe model" instead of the "newer, softer riding model". (balance scale tilts). Gonna be hard getting people out of the GT Tech 2016.5's for sure!

Last edited:
One interesting thing is the Rollover Resistance data from NHTSA:

2017 Mazda CX-5 FWD - 17.40%
2017 Mazda CX-5 AWD - 16.90%

2016 Mazda CX-5 FWD - 17.40%
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD - 16.90%

2017 Honda CR-V FWD - 16.30%
2017 Honda CR-V AWD - 16.20%

2017 Toyota RAV4 FWD - 17.40%
2017 Toyota RAV4 AWD - 16.90%

AWD SUVs are definitely less prone to roll over than FWD's and that's one additional benefit of getting an AWD. 2017 CX-5 FWD and AWD are lowered by 0.9" (8.5 -> 7.6) on ground clearance and by 1.2" (67.3 -> 66.1) on overall height, and widened the front track (62.4 -> 62.8) and real track (62.5 -> 62.8), may even get helped by new G-Vectoring Control, but they still scored the same as 2016(.5) CX-5 on Rollover Resistance.

2017 CR-V scored better than 2017 CX-5 in NHTSA's Rollover category and 2017 RAV4 scored the same as 2017 CX-5.

" Why don't you take a look at our CR-V over here, sir, we know how important your little one is to you, and we care, too! That's why Honda engineered the CR-V to be one of the safest vehicles on the road, and you can drive easy knowing that your child is enjoying the trip in a 5-star safety rated vehicle *waves at the comparison display showing the CX5 and CR-V safety ratings*. Don't trust the lives of those you love to anything less than one of the best."

I think if you chanced upon that Honda sales-rep with your significant other while your child coo'ed quietly in the carrier or whatever children are kept in when they are out and about, you would have one HELLUVA time getting her to OK the purchase of a 2017 CX-5 "because it feels sporty" or ANY other reason. Am I wrong?

THIS is the area in which Mazda has really dropped the ball, I think. Not only is the vehicle not as safe as its competitors, but it's LESS SAFE than the LAST model. This is beyond a faux pas, and into the realm of "fatal flaw", especially considering they have gussied it up to be a family hauler vs. a "sporty CUV", moreso.

I now have "the fast, safe model" instead of the "newer, softer riding model". (balance scale tilts). Gonna be hard getting people out of the GT Tech 2016.5's for sure!

The only reason we got the CX-5 was because i was trading in my 2016 GTI, and it seemed to be the least boring option in the CUV segment. Also, I've always been a contrarian and didn't want to get what everyone else had (Honda, Toyota, Nissan). The biggest contender was the Forester, but I ended up with the CX-5 due to the lower price.

I'm not super concerned about that 4 star on 2 side tests. Still very good.
I agree. But my concern is why Mazda designed a new generation CX-5 with inferior side and rear seat protection than its previous generation? I think this's inexcusable as you put out a new inferior product on safety while others can keep up or get better on these safety ratings! Remember these NHTSA Safety Ratings, unlike IIHS ratings, will be printed on the new car window sticker in every 2017 CX-5 sold in the US. Potential compact CUV buyers will see it and compare them easily!

I agree. But my concern is why Mazda designed a new generation CX-5 with inferior side and rear seat protection than its previous generation? I think this's inexcusable as you put out a new inferior product on safety while others can keep up or get better on these safety ratings! Remember these NHTSA Safety Ratings, unlike IIHS ratings, will be printed on the new car window sticker in every 2017 CX-5 sold in the US. Potential compact CUV buyers will see it and compare them easily!

I find that hard to swallow as well but I would want more details. How many did they crash? What does Mazda have to say about it? What did they change that made it different? Could it just be a bad one off test?

I find that hard to swallow as well but I would want more details. How many did they crash? What does Mazda have to say about it? What did they change that made it different? Could it just be a bad one off test?

Considering the massive impact this can potentially have on corporate profit, I highly doubt it could just be one bad test. Things like this are usually "done right" before being published.

Because "INSPIRED CRAFTSMANSHIP FOR INSPIRED DRIVING"

It seems like the new CX-5 is more about the new design and "craftmanship" over anything else.

It is interesting how they improved on the frontal crash ratings compared to the 2016 model, but lost some stars on the side crash ratings compared to the 2016 models.

Edit: So I checked out the crash ratings for a 2013 Mazdaspeed3, which I daily drive. There is none. So I looked at the data for a 2013 Mazda3 hatchback. The front crash ratings are ok, but the side crash ratings are just average. It is a good thing then we mainly only take our kid with his car seat in the CX-5.

Last edited:
Concerned or not, it's a downgrade from the older model in the safety dept. That is pretty terrible any way you slice it.

Yeah, we should all protest and get rid of our slow defective cars!!! I'll bring the pitchforks!!!

Why is everyone who doesn't own a gen 2 CX5 all butthurt? ZOMG ITS THE WORST CAR EVER BUY A HONDA!!!

Like seriously, chill out guys. Maybe they're all drinking the same thing Mango is drinking. I'm considering contacting the mods and asking them to start a new forum for Gen2 owners to keep all the bashing isolated. Dudes are mad and being a little ridiculous.

I'm considering contacting the mods and asking them to start a new forum for Gen2 owners to keep all the bashing isolated. Dudes are mad and being a little ridiculous.

What's the point? Seems to me like the only differences between the 2 is styling updates/noise/suspension updates. It's still essentially a Gen 1. Same motor, transmission and platform.

That's so cute. Can someone tell me why a gen 1 Mazda 3 owner who loves Honda CRV's is constantly lurking in our neck of the woods?

On that note, I'm not sure what took me so long to place him on my ignore list. My guess is that everyone in the MZ3 section did the same so he's slowly moving around in order to get attention.

Last edited:
That's so cute. Can someone tell me why a gen 1 Mazda 3 owner who loves Honda CRV's is constantly lurking in our neck of the woods?

On that note, I'm not sure what took me so long to place him on my ignore list. My guess is that everyone in the MZ3 section did the same so he's slowly moving around in order to get attention.

It is a mystery my friend. Honda fanboy hanging around on a Mazda forum whose only posts are in threads and situations where he gets to bash Mazda or the CX-5 for one thing or another.

You're absolutely 100% correct. Safety, Fuel economy, Cargo space, Reliability, Resale, etc...this is the most important criteria for buyers in this segment. People like to talk about the CX5-s handling/suspension superiority, but that only appeals to enthusiasts. I just don't see that being a great marketing point to buyers in this segment who care about practicality first and foremost.

IMO they're in a difficult situation. They've pretty much given up on competing in practicality, which is why Honda/Toyota/Nissan beat them in most of these areas so now they're focusing on being a 'premum' car company but the question I ask is what exactly is 'premium'? The interior? Sure I'll give them that, but premium car companies also offer more modern powerful turbo charged engines, better transmissions, panoramic sunroof, cooled seats, CarPlay/AA etc... If they had offered this as some kind of 'Signature' edition pricing it somewhere below 40k I would think long and hard about it. The problem you run into with this strategy is price-wise you start getting into RDX/NX territory which are established premium brands. Why get a high priced Mazda when you get can a Lexus?

Back