NewP5 Owner. Saying Hello!

I just go with the cheapest.
They should last longer than my car.
But I don't drive my car like a race car.

I got a quote from my local auto shop chain and I pretty much just have one option. Just thought I would check in with you guys first.

Currently, when driving a freeway speed, the steering starts to shake and I'm getting pulsation when breaking.

If it were me, needing brakes all around, right now, I would buy these.
I shop at RockAuto and the "hearted" options are best sellers.

You should be able to do your brakes yourself, but if not I would buy this kit and find a mechanic to install everything.

A little confused by the picture of the pot plant, but I thank you for reminding me it's important to take breaks and chill.

Thanks PCB!

... Looks like the last servicing was done back in 2017 and based on the motor oil, I suspect that maintenance wasn't done since then.

So Far I did an oil change, ...

Now that you've changed your oil, check your engine oil dipstick to see if the level has dropped.
Keep oil in your car and top it up regularly if it's burning oil.

I personally like Monroe ceramic pads. I used Wagner rotors on the brake job I did yesterday and that's what I'm using on my next one next weekend. The Mazda got cheapo ACDelco rotors and they've been fine for the couple hundred miles I've put on them.

Currently, when driving a freeway speed, the steering starts to shake and I'm getting pulsation when breaking.

If you don't feel a pulsation in the brakes at city speeds, then I would suspect an unbalanced wheel.

Check your wheels for a mark like this where a balancing weight has fallen off.
(it can be difficult to see the inside of the wheels though.)

I just noticed this...

Did you get your wheels balanced after having your new tires installed?

Yes- I even brought it back just to have them double check it before deciding new rotors are necessary.

The technician (America's Tire Co) mentioned that one of the wheels are 'bent' (I was not informed of this when I had the tires installed) but said it shouldn't be a reason for it to behave like that. I personally inspected the wheel in question and I can't even see any real damage aside from curb rash and the rust.

I would also wager that if the wheels are dangerous they wouldn't install the tires on it in the first place.

Yes- I even brought it back just to have them double check it before deciding new rotors are necessary.

If you do take it to a mechanic, make sure he is aware of this...

I was quoted $250 for pads and rotors for my car.

It ended up costing me $740 because... "both of my rear calipers are seized."

I found out later through Mazda, that both rear calipers had been replaced just before I bought my car.

The technician (America's Tire Co) mentioned that one of the wheels are 'bent'.

Put the bent wheel on the rear of the car, so it doesn't affect your steering as much.

I plan to do as much work myself as I can to learn and to save some money. Thank you for the guide, I was not aware of that.

I was just wondering...

Did your steering shake at speed before you got new tires?

To be perfectly honest I don't really remember. I don't recall being on the freeway long enough to notice when I was test driving it. The tires on the car when I purchased it were well worn so I didn't want to push the car.

Hmm...just reading through all of this. It's cool to see another Protege5 being 'resurrected' from a no-maintenance demise, so to speak. Especially a nice blue one, I don't see those often.

Anyways, I'm seeing talk about steering shake and worn rotors - two things I have and need to address on my car - i'll be lingering around and gathering helpful info.
I know a steering shake can be the symptom of a lot of different issues, but I had almost brand new wheels put on and then balanced, and I did it also around the same time that I did a lot of front suspension work...now I don't know where my problem is.

Anyways, don't want to pirate the thread...keep at it!

Finally had time to swap out the front rotors and front brake. I noticed a clicking noise when the brakes are applied after the rotor replacement. One kf the brakes started to smoke ! Will need to go back and redo everything to find where I made my mistake, im thkining that I may not have tighten the caliphate bolts to spec. Will try again this week.

Make sure you grease your slider pins.
You have to flip the caliper up, then pull it out/off.

Was your piston hard to push back in?
Was it rusty, did it appear seized?

Back