New Vs. Old CX-5

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I traded my 2014 CX5 Touring for a 2021 CX5 GTR and made these observations...

1. The ride has improved but, still keeps the driver in touch with road which I like.

2. New vehicle is quieter but, still aware I have an engine and transmission.

3. Seats are slightly better but, just OK. Not comparable to luxury vehicles.

4. Lots of neat safety stuff.

5. Paddle shifters are a disappointment for me. The 2014 allowed me to grab the gearshift lever and change a gear when entering a fast moving freeway. With paddle shifters, I must grab the shifter, move it and then go to the steering wheel to change gears. Too much lost time and too much hand work.

A much improved vehicle that I love to drive.

Maybe I'm not following correctly but you dont need to interact with the shifter at all to use the paddle shifters.

You can downshift/upshift at will without the shifter being in the "manual" gate.

I may be wrong and will try it HeloJoe.
The one thing I will say is frustrating with the paddle shifters is if you start using them for a quick downshift or two it will eventually revert back to normal drive if you wait to long to actuate a paddle again. You can override this of course by leaving the shifter into the manual gate but it just feels like one more "nanny device" to deal with.

You were correct HeloJoe. I tried the paddle shifters without moving the shift lever and it works nicely. I did notice it reverts to D which is not an issue with me. Thanks for pointing that out. Ed

You were correct HeloJoe. I tried the paddle shifters without moving the shift lever and it works nicely. I did notice it reverts to D which is not an issue with me. Thanks for pointing that out. Ed
Yes it defaults if it doesn't sense any driver input. Regarding the manual mode on the shifter, I'm actually bummed that it doesn't default to "D", as I like to shift manually but forget to put it back to Auto at a light, then you get VROOOOOM revving taking off from the light until you realize it's in manual

Back