"New-to-me" owner of a '19 Signature just checking in to introduce myself

Howdy all!
I'm Tim from Central NJ and just picked up my 'new to me' 2019 Machine Gray Signature a few days ago. It's a CPO with 21k miles which I picked up for $36,200 at Ray Price Mazda in the Poconos. As part of the deal, I also got them replace the crappy Nexen tires they just put on it with some new Vredestein Quatrac Pro's. This being my first Mazda, I'd like to thank everyone here for their contributions this enthusiast forum. I'm thankful I had stumbled across this group several weeks ago, since just about every question I had about these vehicles has been asked and answered here previously. Finally (and perhaps most importantly in this day and age), I'd also like to commend everyone here for the helpful and respectful manner in which everyone seems to conduct themselves. This is a welcome change from many of the forums out there.

My "vehicular past" has involved Jeeps, an '89 GTI, a couple of Fords (01' Expedition, '11 Explorer), an '05 Outback XT, and most recently an '08 Infiniti EX35 which I'm still driving today. The last 15 or so years I've also been hobbying with old Bimmers, including E28's ('87 535is, an '88 535is, an '88 M5), E34's ( 2 '91 535i's), an E12 ('81 528i), and most recently a "garage queen" E38 ('01 740i Sport Pkg) which I finally I sold last year. Sadly, these wonderful machines that have brought me much joy, some pain and many life long friendships have become too rich for my blood, and too demanding of my time. So, now it's time for me to find a normal, more reasonably-priced hobby. Like needlepoint. Or maybe basket-weaving.

So why a CX-9, you ask? As an older-yet-still-righteous dude of 51 years (haha) with 2 early-teens who live primarily with their mom, I needed a vehicle large enough to drag them and a friend around, in addition to myself and my fiancée...but didn't want another Explorer-sized rig. We also have a 125 lb Bernese named Bear who doesn't fit in a lot of vehicles....and barely in our NX-200T. I also wanted better fuel economy than the awful 20-21 highway mpg I've been eeking out of my EX35 the last decade, but I wasn't willing to give up all things "sporty". I tend to keep my cars for 10+ years, so the CX-9's reliability ratings were also important to me. And here in the never-know-what-you're'-gonna-get winter weather conditions of New Jersey, a competent AWD system was also imperative. (I will also say Infiniti's ATTESA system is one of the best, rear-biased systems I've ever driven, but Infiniti builds nothing I like anymore).

So, in spite of the fact (unbeknownst to me) my kids' mom had leased a 2020 Signature a few weeks earlier (at least now I know where my child support is going....ONLY KIDDING!), these are the reasons why the CX-9 really resonated with me. Oh, and they're damn good-looking, too. ;)

Apologies for the long-winded intro, but I do look forward to "meeting" everyone...
20201017_162109.jpg

Tim

PS: For the record, I have zero complaints at this point, and the only mod I'll be inquiring about is a clear bra for the front end and where to source/install one.

Welcome @TimGinNJ, thanks for the very kind words! :)

PPF/clear bra for the front end is definitely a good idea. I would recommend getting the full hood, bumper, fenders, mirror caps, and even the leading edge of the A-pillars done. Maybe even the leading edge of the roof, in front of the sunroof. I have the same colour, but only partial coverage on the hood and fenders, and no protection on the A-pillars. I've got rock chips on the upper half of the hood and a couple on the A-pillars due to highway driving in Alberta.

Popular brands are XPEL, Suntek and 3M. I believe XPEL has a "self-healing" PPF. In terms of shops, I would inquire with vinyl wrapping shops to see if they offer PPF and PPF installation. Most of the time they can order the precut kits, but a competent vinyl wrapping shop can custom wrap the car to make it so that no edges are visible (and the risk of the wrap "lifting" at the edges is minimized). Probably more expensive though.

Here's one shop that looks reputable. I'd do a little more research and get some quotes first though. *note that the yellowing that they mention can be delayed with a regular application of wax, and in my experience, is mostly only visible on light-coloured cars.

Last edited:
Welcome and thanks for joining up, @TimGinNJ Great intro and pic! (y)

I'd also like to commend everyone here for the helpful and respectful manner in which everyone seems to conduct themselves. This is a welcome change from many of the forums out there.
I'd like to as well...Thanks everyone, keep it up! 😁

I'm a recent new CX9 owner as well. The Infiniti QX60 was high on my list, but the Mazda won out on driving dynamics. My kids have all graduated out of car seats and my oldest is away to college most of the time, so I no longer need a minivan. 3-row is nice for when my oldest comes home on breaks and all 5 of us need to pile in; otherwise, I don't need huge amount of interior space and prefer the car to drive small.

Around here, I don't have snow/ice to deal with, but I wanted an AWD and better ground clearance to deal with the flash floods that are getting more and more frequent around here. But I don't want a truck-based body-on-frame that guzzles gas. So far, I'm amazed at CX9's efficiency. My last tankful was 27.1 mpg.

BTW, I've always liked the EX35, and I considered the QX50, but it is just too small for what I need right now.

So, in spite of the fact (unbeknownst to me) my kids' mom had leased a 2020 Signature a few weeks earlier

Oh, c'mon that is hilarious. She mustve thought you were kidding when you told her. Hers grey???

Our CX9s are twins, year, colour, model.

Welcome!

@GTA-CX9 I know right?? As I understand it anyway, she had gone to a car show a few months back and seen the '20 CX-9 close up for the first time...and I guess she liked it. Hers is actually black on that new uber-dark brown leather interior they introduced this year (I'm not a fan, personally). To her credit though, she has always had pretty good taste in cars.

So we've got the same cars. eh? That's awesome. I'm really loving mine...and just got my OE rubber floor mats delivered yesterday, had the alignment re-done and had it switched over full-synthetic oil. Now it's time to find a good cargo tray and a shop that does clear front-end bras. See you 'round...and thanks for the 'welcome'! (y)

Hey again @sm1ke ... Re: your PPF advice, I tracked down another shop more local to me, and got a quote for the entire front bumper and clip, front fenders, doors and side mirrors using SunTek Ultra PPF.....$1100. Not sure what price I was expecting, but it seems kinda' steep....especially since I was halfway considering also picking up an extended factory warranty (around the same cost) since I'm planning on being in this car until retirement, i.e., the next 10 years or so.

The guy seems like he does high quality work--not least of which I'm basing on all his positive reviews on Google, but truth be told, I'm still getting over the idea that I just paid $39,500 (including tax, dealer fees, etc.) for a Mazda...and here I am looking at spending another couple of grand on it to protect my investment. Ouchie.

If I were to look to slim down that quote a little bit, how critical are the front fenders and side mirrors? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance,
Tim G.

Hey again @sm1ke ... Re: your PPF advice, I tracked down another shop more local to me, and got a quote for the entire front bumper and clip, front fenders, doors and side mirrors using SunTek Ultra PPF.....$1100. Not sure what price I was expecting, but it seems kinda' steep....especially since I was halfway considering also picking up an extended factory warranty (around the same cost) since I'm planning on being in this car until retirement, i.e., the next 10 years or so.

The guy seems like he does high quality work--not least of which I'm basing on all his positive reviews on Google, but truth be told, I'm still getting over the idea that I just paid $39,500 (including tax, dealer fees, etc.) for a Mazda...and here I am looking at spending another couple of grand on it to protect my investment. Ouchie.

If I were to look to slim down that quote a little bit, how critical are the front fenders and side mirrors? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance,
Tim G.

Based on the quotes I got that are local to me, that's a pretty good price if it includes bumper, mirror caps, full hood, full fenders and both front doors. If it's actually full bumper, mirror caps, partial hood, partial fenders, and door cups (area behind the door handle), that's a bit on the high side, but I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to have a good installer doing the work. According to my selling dealership, the full bumper, mirror caps, partial hood and partial fenders would have cost me about $1300 CAD ($1k USD) if I had paid for it. This is with 3M film, and of course with their dealer markup. I'm sure if I had the job quoted directly by the 3rd party installer they used, the price might have been closer to like $850 USD.

I do understand your hesitation - $2200 extra after paying $40k isn't easy for most people, myself included. But to your question, to bring the quote down you could switch from full fenders/hood to partial, and opt out of having the doors done. Speaking for myself, I had full bumper, mirror caps, partial hood and partial fenders done, and I wish I had sprung for full hood and full fenders. The seams are pretty visible once you get close enough. Mirror caps are not so critical, but they are more of a vertical surface than the hood/fenders, so if a rock hits them it's more likely to chip the paint.

IMO, if I had to choose between warranty and PPF - knowing what I know now, I think I would probably choose PPF. My rationale is that if you daily drive the car, it is highly likely that it will see pebbles and rocks kicked up from other cars, so you'll get a lot more value out of the protection. The CX-9 happens to be a pretty reliable vehicle (so far), so you may not get as much "value" out of the warranty - but that also depends on how much you're willing to pay for peace of mind. You may want to talk to your salesperson or the dealership F&I person to determine what the added protection plans cover so you can make a more informed decision. You already have a 3/36 basic warranty and a 5/60 powertrain warranty, after all. Also keep in mind that as long as you're within the basic warranty period, you can still buy the extended warranty, so IMO it's not as "critical" to get right this second compared to PPF.

Hey @sm1ke ...thanks for your response. And apologies....I provided incorrect info earlier...the quote I rec'd actually did NOT include the front doors. Sorry about that.

Anyway, with that being said, it sounds as though it's still a little on the high side....but your advice on prioritizing the PPF over an extended warranty does make some sense to me, as does the value of going with a reputable installer. (To be clear, I'm less concerned with the mechanicals on these cars down the road than perhaps some of the the electronics). And you're right; my car was a CPO, so I do have a couple of years remaining where I could decide to spring for a factory extended warranty to help spread out the cost a little.

Since my car is a year old, I guess there's also the question of how much paint correction will be needed before application...and what that'll run me. I just washed/waxed her for the first time yesterday, and found only a couple of very small nicks, but I am guessing the installer may want to address them which will add some expense to this project.

I think I'm going to follow up with the installer to see if he has any wiggle-room on the price....or maybe the cost of going with SunTek Ultra isn't necessary (?), as it sounded like it was one of the more expensive products out there.

Thanks!
Tim

I have rock chips just above the windshield on the roof that went undetected and started to rust. This may be an area to consider. The hood is supposed to be aluminum on the CX-9, so if you get rock chips on it in theory at least it wouldn’t rust.

I have rock chips just above the windshield on the roof that went undetected and started to rust. This may be an area to consider. The hood is supposed to be aluminum on the CX-9, so if you get rock chips on it in theory at least it wouldn’t rust.

I don‘t think hood is aluminum since it’s heavy...aluminum is obviously lighter than steel but I used to have a Volvo prior to CX9 and that had a “composite” or hard plastic hood (which was way lighter than steel)...that was their purpose for having composite hoods to reduce weight and avoid rust spreading from stone chips!

Back