New tires for wife's Mazda 3

jagaloon

Hello all,

Wife had to drop her Mazda 3 off at her dealer for a state inspection. While we were out and about, she got a call saying it needed new tires, she got confused and passed the phone to me. The service tech said they were going to put on a set of new Hankook's, gave me the price, I ok'd it and was told I'd get a call when it was done. Car had OEM tires from the dealer which were Yokohama Avid's I believe, all season tires.

We went to pick the car up, she drove it home and we put it in the garage and forgot about it, till today. We went out for lunch and she let me drive it and I was noticing how it handled, quite well actually. We stopped off for lunch and I saw that they had put Hankook V12 Evo's on the car, a max performance summer only tire.

Barring the amount of contradicting information I've found on the web, she can't run these tires in the colder months up here in New Hampshire otherwise the tire compound would harden up and that'd be the end of the tires, yes? Secondly the max performance leaves little for winter driving which also has me concerned.

I'm wondering why the dealer felt inclined to toss a set of max performance summer tires on a 5 door hatchback, it's not a rice rocket by any means, or has tire technology changed and I'm somewhat out of the loop and she's ok to run these just like the OEM Yoko's that came with the car?

Worst case she takes the 4wd but she's very upset right now that she has tires that in all honesty, should not be run in the winter and the dealer put them on without telling/discussing, only that they were Hankook tires, not max performance, not ventus, not all season, nothing.

Any insight would be appreciated.

You would be better off with all season Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. While you didn't provide information on the car I hope that these tires come is a size that fits.

^^^^^^^
+1 What he said!!!!! If you are interested in the the Conti's...let me know, I an get you a $80 VISA Debit card for a set of 4 tires. See link to get details on the program. You can PM me for the Invitation Code.

www.myconticlub.com

Back