2007~2015 New Revised CX-9 Transfer Case?

:
2011 CX-9 bose+sunroof, crystal white pearl
Hello, I am wondering if there is a REVISED version of PTU (Transfer case) for our CX-9's?

Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to replace one on my Mazda and I found an option on eBay that looks a bit different from the original one. This version has a drain plug (btw).

example: https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/prod...ll-wheel-drive-2007-2015-aw21-27-500p-9u.html

Has anyone installed it already to confirm fitment and quality (since it is non-original FoMoCo part)?

Thanks for help!

The OEM Ford PTUs added a drain plug somewhere around 2015. I don't know if Mazda ever did.
do you happen to have part number or picture of that revised version?

Since I'm trying to buy new one, it would be wise to buy revised version :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
hello, I wanted to share another update after the removal of PTU.

It looks like PTU is in good shape (I was changing its fluid regularly) but the splines on a shaft that connect the PTU with the transmission are gone. The same goes for the transmission differential shaft as shown in the pictures below.

Do you know if those two shafts can be bought separately (to avoid complete PTU and transmission replacement) and where could I find part numbers for those?

Any help is highly appreciated!!

Attachments

• PTUshaft.jpg
    PTUshaft.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 467
  • transmission shaft1.jpg
    transmission shaft1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 470
  • transmission_ shaft2.jpg
    transmission_ shaft2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0
There is a thread here:

There is a shop in Ukraine that makes parts to fix the failed splines but I do not think anyone on the forum has actually performed the repair.

Upvote 0
I have bought the part but did not perform the repair as I got rid of the car after all since it was not worth putting so much work into but basically you need to remove the transmission and take the differential out f it and get a machine shop to weld the new part in place. You need to get your OEM differential shaft and OEM PTU shaft machined to accept the new gearing and reinstall everything.

Upvote 0
Here is the thread I posted, still have the parts if you want to buy them...

Upvote 0
Side note...Thanks for the heads up...Please note our FS Rules and FS Forum (where FS threads are posted)...

Upvote 0
thank you!
I managed to find whole shafts built to meet and improve original ones. Now I am waiting for the delivery and will report the outcome when I install everything back :)

Upvote 0
Here is my final update. :)

I managed to get hold of new shafts (at picture) from Russia (Oleg) who is manufacturing them to be better than the original and I can confirm that they are significantly better indeed. They fitted perfectly into transmission and PTU and the final assembly was a breeze. Since transmission and PTU were removed, we used this opportunity to replace all oil rings (transmission and PTU) and two main bearings in PTU. We cleaned PTU from old fluid and grease, added a drain plug to PTU and a new transmission filter. Of course, all fluids were replaced. (Mobil ATF 3309 for transmission fluid, 75w140 PTU fluid, and 75w90 rear diff fluid). Another thing we replaced was all four rubber mounts of the rear diff. that we found damaged as well.

All in all, the car is like new if not better and I can feel the difference. The car is also a bit more silent when driving (some noise that I wasn't really aware of back in the past is now gone so I assume this is because of new bearings in PTU).

Am very happy now :) :) and thanks to your support and Oleg from Russia for his advice and generous help. :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 17.17.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 17.17.19.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0
Nice job, I bought the parts from them but ended up getting rid of the car before installing them, I hope your vehicule was still in very good condition to put so much time, money and effort into it!

Upvote 0
Here is my final update. :)

I managed to get hold of new shafts (at picture) from Russia (Oleg) who is manufacturing them to be better than the original and I can confirm that they are significantly better indeed. They fitted perfectly into transmission and PTU and the final assembly was a breeze. Since transmission and PTU were removed, we used this opportunity to replace all oil rings (transmission and PTU) and two main bearings in PTU. We cleaned PTU from old fluid and grease, added a drain plug to PTU and a new transmission filter. Of course, all fluids were replaced. (Mobil ATF 3309 for transmission fluid, 75w140 PTU fluid, and 75w90 rear diff fluid). Another thing we replaced was all four rubber mounts of the rear diff. that we found damaged as well.

All in all, the car is like new if not better and I can feel the difference. The car is also a bit more silent when driving (some noise that I wasn't really aware of back in the past is now gone so I assume this is because of new bearings in PTU).

Am very happy now :) :) and thanks to your support and Oleg from Russia for his advice and generous help. :)
Can you share the link to buy the parts?

How much are they?

Upvote 0
Back