New Product Release! 2014 MAZDA CX-5 2WD Rear Sway Bar

So mazdaspeedmyk, let me ask you a question. I'm sure you would agree that when an OEM like Mazda develops suspension components for a vehicle like the CX-5, they strive for some sort of balance between roll stiffness, understeer, oversteer, etc. Presumably, there is a relationship between the front and rear A/R bars that helps to create the driving dynamics they're after. So I get that you and others here may not care for that OE ride/handling compromise and strive to improve it with aftermarket replacement parts. What I don't get is why you would go to what appears to be a monstrously stiffer rear sway bar and do nothing on the front end to create a different balance than the car originally had. Seems to me, all you're doing by dramatically increasing the rear roll stiffness is decreasing the car's understeer tendency to the point where it will probably be inclined towards oversteer. Is that your goal? Please enlighten me.

It's one thing to say that and another to actually drive and feel the difference between the oem and the aftermarket. Granted I have wider wheels, and stiffer and lower suspension, I currently run my bar on the lowest setting (+85%) which is less than the JBR lowest setting (also my AWD power on turn will be different from a FWD power on turn). If I want oversteer, I have to turn extra sharp and downshift usually (which can be purposely done to start a small rotation). With the oem bar, I could powerslide through a turn because the back was dragging enough (not screeching tires though). Now, instead of powersliding, I can actually just turn sharper without the slide. "Balance" is pretty subjective. I much prefer this handling compared to the feeling of "dragging my ass" around a corner (even though powersliding is fun it's not practical). The car is heavier in the front too (57/43). That being said, when a non JDM $$$ auto exe front sway appears, I'll buy it. I would highly recommend JBR (fwd + stiffer settings)/CorkSport(fwd/awd) sway bars for the more fun oriented driver. And the ultra racing bars for flex control.

So I would assume the front bar (which currently is not listed on your web site?) is somewhat stiffer than the OE part?

I remember seeing a development thread for a front sway for gen3 mazda 3/6 (thus cx-5). I recently saw the releases of the bars or gen 2 though. I'm guessing he is referring to the gen 3 that aren't released yet. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...SPEED3-amp-Mazda3-Front-Sway-Bars-COMING-SOON!

The CX-5, 3 and 6 all suffer from serious understeer.

The last time I pushed my CX5 beyond its limits the rear end swung out a little before the stability control saved it from coming all the way around. Every other vehicle I've pushed that hard made the front end push straight and caused me to slow down/scrub speed. I'm curious why you think the CX5 has serious understeer? In most other situations the CX5 feels almost neutral to me.

The bulk of the car, is at the rear and in a curve it tends to "turn over" more, that has to be counterbalanced.

Last edited:
The last time I pushed my CX5 beyond its limits the rear end swung out a little before the stability control saved it from coming all the way around. Every other vehicle I've pushed that hard made the front end push straight and caused me to slow down/scrub speed. I'm curious why you think the CX5 has serious understeer? In most other situations the CX5 feels almost neutral to me.
Well, "serious" being subjective (remember they make mainly parts for speeds), I would say for my driving style (and awd), the rear definitely likes to drag out especially power on during a turn; which was mitigated for my by the rear bar. I like to be precise with my driving.. while many people are cutting through (and in my area usually all the way into) the left turn lane to get into the middle lane on 2 lane to 3 lane intersection, I don't (unless there is a truck on my right of course). And I don't like to drive/turn my car like I towing a trailer either. If I wanted too I could mostly full throttle (of course it's more like enter high power then low/none, then exit high power again) through a 90 left turn from a red light, and not understeer outside of my lane/path.. if it's a wider turn can full throttle the whole way. I also do not drive with tcs on (except in rain); it will try to keep you turning like Grandma going to church on Sunday.

They strive for comfort vs performance. The CX-5, 3 and 6 all suffer from serious understeer. Adding the stiff rear bar gets the vehicle much closer to neutral.

agree here, is working the tires more and less understeer, quicker turn in also. all front biased cars can use a larger rear sway, ask any MS3, GTI, Audi and Honda guys.

waiting to get better tires when Oem goes out.

I find that the CX-5 (at least my 2013 AWD GT) understeers more with throttle. Especially mid corner until exit. The front end only tucks when I deliberately transfer weight to the front with trail braking, unloading the rear upon corner entry. I have gotten the CX-5's rear to swing out slightly (balancing out the understeer), but that is only with deliberate trail braking. As with any understeer prone non-RWD car, that is the only productive way to induce oversteer.

I find it hilarious how some would stagger wider tires to the rear of the CX-5. Yes, I get it. It's for "looks". That unfortunately doesn't justify a poorly handling car.

I am finally looking to grab a stiffer rear sway bar to try. Not going to bother with springs or coilovers as it is my daily driver in NYC.

I find that the CX-5 (at least my 2013 AWD GT) understeers more with throttle. Especially mid corner until exit. The front end only tucks when I deliberately transfer weight to the front with trail braking, unloading the rear upon corner entry. I have gotten the CX-5's rear to swing out slightly (balancing out the understeer), but that is only with deliberate trail braking. As with any understeer prone non-RWD car, that is the only productive way to induce oversteer.

I find it hilarious how some would stagger wider tires to the rear of the CX-5. Yes, I get it. It's for "looks". That unfortunately doesn't justify a poorly handling car.

I am finally looking to grab a stiffer rear sway bar to try. Not going to bother with springs or coilovers as it is my daily driver in NYC.

Have you tried entering at high rpm, then doing a upshift to start the slide/tuck? That's how I did it, not so much with the bar now.

Tried every combination to attempt power oversteer. None worked unless it was on snow/ice.

If the upshift works, then I assume it is just weight transfer to the front in between shifts. Our engines close throttle as it upshifts, which initiates a change in weight balance. So the physics might be similar to trail braking.

Not that I'm looking for OMGPOWERDORIFTO ANGLE POINTZ. Just more balanced vehicle dynamics.

Last edited:
Tried every combination to attempt power oversteer. None worked unless it was on snow/ice.

If the upshift works, then I assume it is just weight transfer to the front in between shifts. Our engines close throttle as it upshifts, which initiates a change in weight balance. So the physics might be similar to trail braking.

Not that I'm looking for OMGPOWERDORIFTO ANGLE POINTZ. Just more balanced vehicle dynamics.

I haven't drifted, nor do I try to. I'm just saying. But also, my suspensions and wheels are different so it may play a role. Cheers. And yes I will sell my H&R if I get coilovers.

@jbarone From mazda-parts.com, the rear stabilizer bar (PN KD31-28-151) is the same part across 2013 - 2018 CX-5. If your rear sway bar fits the first gen, then I suspect it'll fit on the second gen.

It's very possible. The issue we have with giving the OK is that our bar is not the same as the OEM.

James

Back