New Owner. Tire Questions

:
Mazda CX5 GTR
Hi All,

I picked up a used 2019 Grand Touring Reserve last week. It has the 225/55/r19 Toyo a36 OEM tires. The car has 11,500 miles on it. I've read in other groups, people have put on 235/55/r19s. Three questions. Is there an advantage to going to that tire size? Will that size tire fit? What is the best tire choice for ride comfort and quietness? I only drive 5-6,000 miles a year.

Thanks for any info.

I think you should not go up in diameter due to a decrease in acceleration performance. Ed

I think you should not go up in diameter due to a decrease in acceleration performance. Ed
And the inaccurate odometer and speedometer displays (slower read-outs) which also disturbs any car computer calculations based on such informations.

IMO, just get a good set of different tires with recommended 225/55R19 tire size if you want even better performance than Toyo A36.

Probably not very much difference with only a 10mm change. There us some rule of thumb if you want a little wider tire. I think you would go up to 245mm then reduce the profile to keep the overall circumference correct. So maybe 245/50(?). I think it is on the Tirerack web site how to make the calculation.

To me, the other reason not to use any wider tires than 225 is I can clearly see some rubbing marks on the front struts with my factory Toyo A23 while rotating tires. And my wife drives the CX-5 not in any aggressive fashion.

Last edited:
If Mazda thought there was some advantage to bigger tires they could easily spec them. The increase in price wouldn't be much. They want their products to be as good as possible. Bigger tires might look a little better to some people but like Yrwei52 says there can be problems.

Michelin Premier LTX tires are quiet and smooth in 225/55. they last longer than the OEM Toyos, too. In trade, their steering response in muted.

I would ask what it is you are trying to achieve by changing the width...

Wider tires have a different shaped contact patch (sometimes to the detriment), more wind resistance, less resistance to hydroplaning, greater rolling resistance, heavier unsprung weight, change in sound resonance, and others...

If Mazda thought there was some advantage to bigger tires they could easily spec them. The increase in price wouldn't be much. They want their products to be as good as possible. Bigger tires might look a little better to some people but like Yrwei52 says there can be problems.

Same! Just rotated the tires this weekend and notice the rub marks on the struts as well. I thought that was odd with original tires from the factory.

What is the best tire choice for ride comfort and quietness? I only drive 5-6,000 miles a year.
Here's Tire Ratings Charts from Tire Rack for Crossover/SUV touring all-season 225/65R17 tires; the rating for 225/56R19 should be similar. Check “Comfortable Performance” category rating which is what you want:

7F5532F4-13F8-4FDC-8811-258DCC64556A.jpeg

A local Craigslist ad has 2016 Mazda CX-9 Touring 18" alloy wheels in excellent condition for sale for a good price. 18x8, 45mm offset, 5x114.3 bolt center diameter, and 67.1mm bore.

I'm pretty sure that my 2020 CX-5 Signature with 19" wheels are 19x7, 45mm offset, 5x114.3 bolt center diameter and 67.1 bore.

Can I reasonably assume that these will fit on my 2020 CX-5 Signature with 19" wheels?

No problem with the inner rim clearing the brakes?

I would be putting on these rims 18" winter tires with a little extra height on them so as to equal or get very close the diameter of the all-season 19" tires. I don't want to throw off the speedometer/odometer/whatever else relies on wheel/tire diameter.

Last edited:
The bore is where the center hub fits. 67 is perfect. I think all Mazdas use 67, but probably not old Mazda trucks.

Michelin Premier LTX tires are quiet and smooth in 225/55. they last longer than the OEM Toyos, too. In trade, their steering response in muted.

another small benefit - thread width on those is also just a tiny bit wider than the stock Toyo or continental lx25 in tha same size 225 55 19

Last edited:
A local Craigslist ad has 2016 Mazda CX-9 Touring 18" alloy wheels in excellent condition for sale for a good price. 18x8, 45mm offset, 5x114.3 bolt center diameter, and 67.1mm bore.

No problem with the inner rim clearing the brakes?

I would be putting on these rims 18" winter tires with a little extra height on them so as to equal or get very close the diameter of the all-season 19" tires.
I've read that if the circumference is within 3% it should be o.k. The difference between brand new treads versus worn out treads might be more than that .

I guess the possibility of the tire rubbing is real. You have 8" wide rims so they will spread the tire more than 7" rims. It doesn't seem the offset would matter that much, does anyone know?

It makes me wonder what size I would get if I were in your position.

I guess the possibility of the tire rubbing is real. You have 8" wide rims so they will spread the tire more than 7" rims. It doesn't seem the offset would matter that much, does anyone know?

It makes me wonder what size I would get if I were in your position.
I can see tire rubbing marks on my front struts with factory 225/55R19 tire on 7” wide rims. So yes, it should be worse on 8” wide rims with the same offset.

Back