New guy here... Very interested in the CX-30

This vehicle checks all the boxes for me.. I've had a few SUV's and I'm more of a small car guy than a truck guy. I think Mazda is gonna hit it out of the park with this one. Very much along the lines of the GLA 250/QX-30 lines but makes it work and for a lot less money.. I was looking at the GLA/QX-30 platform but it looked like they just did not get it right. Mazda got it right. Proven designs and engineering in a safe package. As many have said the wheel arch cladding has to go.. I'm thinking plasti-dip to see what it will look like with body colored cladding. If it looks good, I'll have it painted.
I've never owned a Mazda before being a Honda/Toyota/Subaru kinda guy and I'm looking forward to it...
mitch

This vehicle checks all the boxes for me.. I've had a few SUV's and I'm more of a small car guy than a truck guy. I think Mazda is gonna hit it out of the park with this one. Very much along the lines of the GLA 250/QX-30 lines but makes it work and for a lot less money.. I was looking at the GLA/QX-30 platform but it looked like they just did not get it right. Mazda got it right. Proven designs and engineering in a safe package. As many have said the wheel arch cladding has to go.. I'm thinking plasti-dip to see what it will look like with body colored cladding. If it looks good, I'll have it painted.
I've never owned a Mazda before being a Honda/Toyota/Subaru kinda guy and I'm looking forward to it...
mitch

Just FYI, plastidip will leave a textured look, regardless of whether you use the "glossifier" or anything like that over it. Same with paint. If you are looking to get the panels painted, IMO it would require a lot of labour (i.e. sanding all cladding smooth before prepping for paint). But, if you get that done, I think it would look 10x better than it does with the black plastic cladding!

"Just FYI, plastidip will leave a textured look"
I'm ok with that. It would have that "rugged" same color look.. Heck I was thinking of using color matched truck bed liner!!! Like I said, if it looks good I'll take the cladding off and take it to a painter and have it done.. Like you said it will look 10X or even CX-30 times better!!
On another note I think it's interesting that Mazda called this crossover ute a CX-30 and Infinity called their crossover ute the QX-30.. Hummmmmmmm..
mitch

"Just FYI, plastidip will leave a textured look"
I'm ok with that. It would have that "rugged" same color look.. Heck I was thinking of using color matched truck bed liner!!! Like I said, if it looks good I'll take the cladding off and take it to a painter and have it done.. Like you said it will look 10X or even CX-30 times better!!
On another note I think it's interesting that Mazda called this crossover ute a CX-30 and Infinity called their crossover ute the QX-30.. Hummmmmmmm..
mitch

While I reserve final judgement on the cladding until seen in person, I really look forward to seeing some of the modifications owners do to the cladding.
I also look forward to hearing the reasons WHY Mazda went this route on the design. (omg)

Any body know when the CX30 is going to be available for purchase in the US? not that I'm anxious or anything like that....(attn)
mitch

Any body know when the CX30 is going to be available for purchase in the US? not that I'm anxious or anything like that....(attn)
mitch

It is now. My dealer has 7 of them. Great looking car that is much better looking in person.

Please post pictures of that paint job on the cladding if you do it!
Wonder what that would even cost??

I also look forward to hearing the reasons WHY Mazda went this route on the design.

They say the cladding give the car a flatter lower look. There is a video where the Mazda design guy talks about it. I think it was in the Motoman review of the CX-30.

So I went down to my local Mazda dealer to view the CX30 live and up front in person... It did not disappoint. Like others have said it looks better in person. And yes I still don't care for the wheel well cladding... This is one very well though out, well put together vehicle. It just exudes quality. Switch gear is very tactile and precise... It is from initial sitting very comfortable also. The seat goes way back and the steering wheel goes up/down AND in and out. Very easy to dial in the precise amount of comfort and "reachability". Next is the road test.. When my lease runs out this is gonna be the next on my radar..... and getting rid of the black wheel doughnuts... I think all north American CX30's are built in Mexico as this one was. Hope it's better built than my VW made in Mexico.. That car was a piece of s***... Who the hell paint's ground studs????? duh...
mitch

VWs are unreliable no matter where they're built. You can't blame the workers; it's upper level management and the quality department who are ultimately responsible. Toyota Camrys sold in the US are made in the US, and their quality is consistently excellent.

That is quite a statement to make. Im a big Mazda fan and prefer it above a VW but saying VW is unreliable is not very grounded in all honesty. Perhaps you have gone to the wrong dealer or have just been unlucky

That is quite a statement to make. Im a big Mazda fan and prefer it above a VW but saying VW is unreliable is not very grounded in all honesty. Perhaps you have gone to the wrong dealer or have just been unlucky

VW has two vehicles on their least reliable list:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/10-least-reliable-cars/

My brother is a big GTI fan and is always having problems with his car. He has a 4 series BMW to drive when the GTI is down. When I was looking to buy a GTI I was worried about the reliability and asked him his thoughts. His simple answer was that you don't buy a VW for their reliability.

VW cars are piles of garbage. Anyway not sure why you would get this over a 3 not much more luggage space for more money. Ah well I*m a car guy so ya lol.

mitch

I currently have 2 Mazdas and for 3 yrs so far no issues on reliability...I've also owned 2 Toyotas in the past and a Volvo...I would say the Mazda is on par in terms of reliability though not as popular as Toyotas of course however better driving dynamics. What I also like about my 2 Mazdas are they were built in Japan! Agreed on the plastic cladding on the CX30 - could have made it less prominent like the other models (CX3, CX5 and CX9) but no due to design to make it look sleeker they had to increase the size of the plastic cladding! I guess the colors to pick to make the cladding "less prominent" would be darker ones like machine grey or black!

Yes, to get an idea of what it would look like with "body color" cladding just look at a black CX30. Also there is photoshopped pic of a red one with same color wheel well cladding.. Ever since we were talking about the cladding I have been looking at other cars with large cladding.. The Mini has huge wheel well cladding as well.
Can't wait to test drive this puppy...
mitch

Please post pictures of that paint job on the cladding

I found this on another CX30 forum...

Attachments

• redWheelWells.png
    redWheelWells.png
    398 KB · Views: 345
Based on that pic I'll stick with the black plastic cladding. With it painted the CX-30 just looks pudgy. And yes, it is on my shopping list. Our '17 CX-5 lease is up in May. We've loved the car but don't need anything that big these days.

Based on that pic I'll stick with the black plastic cladding. With it painted the CX-30 just looks pudgy. And yes, it is on my shopping list. Our '17 CX-5 lease is up in May. We've loved the car but don't need anything that big these days.

am also considering the CX30 as I find our CX3 just a tad too small and the ride is just too firm, bumpy and jarring for my liking. If only the plastic cladding wasn’t too significant! Oh, and also looking at the upcoming Kia Seltos...taller and roomier than the CX30...

I tested both the CX-3 and CX-30 before I chose the latter. It definitely has a better ride than the CX-3. However, the OEM 18 inch tires are quite firm (though they handle very well). If you want a quieter and softer ride, get the 16 inch wheels instead and put on a grand touring tire like the Continental TrueContact Tours.

Currently have a CX3 but found the ride too firm for my liking and after almost a year am gonna get rid of the CX3...now looking at CX30 and upcoming Seltos (likely next week). Deciding by next week and gonna come down to between the 30 and Seltos! If I still find both rides to be too firm I might just end up with a mid size Sedan!

Back