New CX-9 Touring 2019 - Interior noises - Please Help

Thank you Youri,

Yes you are right, the Corp Mazda tech found this to have been the problem 3 - 4 months ago and my undrerstanding is that it was rectified with the noise gone - with that said the noise now sounds similar so i will be looking in to this point once Corona allows us to.

Now I could be wrong all together however this brings up one thought though, if it turns out to be again the cowl panel bolts loose does this points to a different underlying issue - 2nd time bolts found loose after already been fastened by Mazda techs?

Any feedback from any members that know how these things work?

I would find it hard to believe the bolts to be loose after being tightened. I would suggest to get yourself a stethoscope and try to locate the noises yourself. The dealership can only claim factory warranty to certain extend for noise issue before it becomes good will act by dealership. Save each other time and have someone drive while you poke around with the stethoscope.

Hi Youri,

Thanks again for sending this through, unfortunately for me the cowl panel bolts is not the issue. My issue, sorry the cars issue, it appears to be from something inside the dash area moving / flexing just enough to make contact with another part and create this snapping / creaking instant rattle, from what other guys have said and i tend to agree these two parts must be hard plastic or at least the sound makes us to believe so.

No matter where you put pressure or hold on to any part of the dashboard the noise, when the cars front wheels drop in to a road gap or "hit" a step (surfaces meet and a small step exists) the noise will be there 10 out of 10 times.

Because of this it is almost impossible for us to detect the origin of this annoying nerve racking noise and the worst thing is that it sounds that its almost right in front of you.

Worst thing of all is that i really enjoy this car and the original plan was, i guess still is, to keep it around for a while as long as it dose not drive me to mental institution something that the other half believes that it is quite possible!!

Again any advise or a Service Manual for this car, i have posted another post however no replies as yet, as to where i can buy one that would be greatly appreciated.

I would find it hard to believe the bolts to be loose after being tightened. I would suggest to get yourself a stethoscope and try to locate the noises yourself. The dealership can only claim factory warranty to certain extend for noise issue before it becomes good will act by dealership. Save each other time and have someone drive while you poke around with the stethoscope.
Hi SW,

You were right, as my earlier reply to Youri the bolts were checked today and were found to be tight with no loose ones in site.

Regarding the noises and dealers warranty - the dealer has raised his hands and that's why they have logged the job with Mazda as they do not want to spend labour and time on the car as they see this as a Mazda problem and not theirs.

Lets not forget the drivers seat where previously and against the dealers No 1 Tech to replace the seat they chose to replace the base only and now it has become worse than before - again here the dealer blames Mazda and their decisions and for what it worth's i agree with them as Mazda Corp were calling and still call the shots.

I hear you. Finding the source of creaking noise is the most irritating thing. The issue is that even though it may sound to be coming from directly in front of you, it may or may not be the location from where the sound is coming from. My previous car (ford edge) had a rattling noise when driving on the highway. I thought for sure it was coming from the engine compartment in front of me, I checked the cowl panel (which funny enough had loose bolts), checked for any loose wires, tied a bunch, etc. Turns out it was a lose panel under the car under the driver seat from a previous repair that would only rattle at high speed when there was enough wind force to make it move.

I don't know how to use a stethoscope like Silly Rabbit suggested, it would probably help locate the source but may not be a 100% accurate (if the sound is routed through the front dash, I am not sure it would help pinpoint the location of the noise from behind the dash.)

All I can do to try to help is provide suggestions of places to look for. If the creaking only happens over bumps, then maybe this other TSB may help. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10170655-0001.pdf

Someone else in a different thread had a noise issue that was fixed by doing the following: "I happened to notice the upper strut tower bracing/bar that at the base of the cowl/top of firewall had four bolts that were all loose! Tightening those got rid of my noise." https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...lunking-knocking-noise.123865194/post-6607688

Someone else said that : "And found that the on mine the fuse box was not fully latched on one side." I am not sure if it was the source of the noise though. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...lunking-knocking-noise.123865194/post-6607695

For the service manual, I don't know where to find it a free one, but you can pay for a one day access of the australian manual here: https://mazdamanuals.com.au/manuals/

Hi Youri,

Really appreciate you going through the trouble of posting the TSB and above links in the hope that one of the issues fellow owners had experience would help me in solving my troubles.

Unfortunately more or less i have been through all the above however all do make sense and can cause noises similar to what i am experiencing.

Couple of points worth i believe to mention, my wipers cowl (black 2 x pieces plastic part) has definitely a lot of movement and does make noises when moved / tapped however i have removed the whole thing and gone for a drive on the same road that it always happens and the noise is there so no luck with this one.

Over the more than a dozen visits to the dealership the Mazda techs have removed the mid dashboard grill speaker cover - no difference, actually i have brought a new one from Mazda thinking that by removing the factory one it somehow has lost its flex - no difference as the new one also has tolerances and when not on the car the noise is still there.

One of the experienced Mazda techs and a great guy had made up his mind that some noise was coming from the base of the MZD unit on the dashboard, was removed and special felt applied on its base clips and put back together - noise still there.

Removed glove box - Nope.

Removed Long Metallic colour dash trim - no luck.

Air vents L & R hand - remover and checked - noise still there!

Black plastic (2 x pieces) rear vision mirror - removed & felted - no luck!

Cables heading in to the headliner do not appear to make any noise.

Today the car spend the day at a mate mechanic who went through all the bolts on the top (engine compartment, cowl panel etc etc) and then lifted the car up on the hoist and went through and checked all the bolts of the system - honestly i cannot remember their names however he did say that some took more fastening than others (i had printed the TSB you send through and took it to him as a Mazda guide for that area) so he said go and test it and we see on Monday - you guessed right - the noise is still there!!

I really feel lost as i don''t know how long till things get back to normal du to this fr'*^%$g virus so Corp Mazda can assign one of their techs to come down to Sydney and see what will happen, till then my OCD just keeps going through the roof!

I am hearing the advise and tomorrow morning i am buying the stethoscope and start the professorial investigations..

As much as mechanics etc seem to believe that this plastic snapping sound (along with some mix creaks) not all potholes, bumps and bruises time noise could have its genesis outside the cabin i still think that it is coming from inside the dashboard and with the AC control unit, the safety belts indicator lights piece etc (just in front of the gear shiftier) the only thing not removed (and it does creak a lot) it could be something inside there and only by removing this unit can be reached hence the reason asking for the Service manual as i am not going to damage one part whilst trying to fix the other due to the fact that as much as i have looked around i have no clue how this unit comes off!

That''s the space that i currently found my self in (really almost the same space as when i brought the car some 8 months ago and after 9.5 Kmls on the clock).

So disappointed its not a joke anymore..

wow you guys went through a lot to try and find this noise. I understand the frustration.

I can't help much more, other than yesterday I was watching this guys video and a tips he gives at 8:39 may be useful to you, he basically use the car door to rock the car in the garage to find the source of noise. Maybe this could help you locate the sound without having to do it while driving (I would just be a little gentle with the doors to make sure I don't damage them in the process.)

You may be able to gain insight on how to remove some of the dash components through the DIY apple CarPlay install video like this one (although he doesn't specifically remove the part you are interested in):

For the service manual, I wasn't going to answer your other post since I already mentioned it here, that's the only way I found to have access to the maintenance manual for this car yet. You can pay for a one day access of the australian manual here: https://mazdamanuals.com.au/manuals/

I believe during that one day access you can go and gather as many portion of the manual as you like.

Thanks mate, i just had a look at the video re apple play, was there meant to be another one regarding the rocking door tip at 8.39?

Sorry - you are right about the manual and i was meant to mention earlier that if i get time over the wend i will pay and have a look to see if i can find what i am looking for.

Hi Youri,

RE service manual - No luck as an ABN is required which is something that i dont have.

Continuing with the search until i or Mazda find what is causing this noise.

Didn’t realise that was required. I will keep looking on my end. A service manual is always something i try to get my hands on for my cars.

Could anyone offer any insight / instructions as how to remove the black piano gear shifter trim piece, i have removed the two x side trims and was able to un clip and lift but that was all, i have seen on youtube that its hold by clips that need to be un clipped from underneath - wasn't able to reach the clips?

Could anyone offer any insight?

This is for the cx-5, but may offer hindsight if (hopefully) the cx-9 trims are similar.

Look for the interior body panel folder, shift panel installation (i think).

Hi Youri,

Hope you are staying safe & well and thanks again for sending this doc through.

Unfortunately it is quite different - once attempted to have mine removed and whilst it was off its clips all around it could only be raised from the back (near cup holders) as the front was 'jamming"near the actual gear stick and the two edges that nest left & right from the AC control unit - did not want to crack anything so i clipped it back on.

I have seen a you tube video where Mean Duck Productions explains how the whole thing is removed
and mentions that once you lift the large part up than you can basically unclip the piano black section and rotating knob section etc from underneath - i could not follow through as i could not have it lifted enough in order to see and let alone start to remove any clips.

If you have a look maybe you would understand more from me?

Whilst on the subject any other fellow 9 2016 + owner has any insights - appreciate any feedback or insights..

Did a bit more digging and you should be able to remove the shifter cover on its own, but it is held in place with a few clips.

The bottom of the storage area under the ac controls comes with it as well.

i also found out that in order to remove the ac control, you pretty much have to rip rhe whole dash appart. i am not sure there is a lot to access behind it that would cause the creaking noise though, so unless you are confident this is the source removing the ac control unit may not be worth it.

any chance we can get some pictures, as mentioned i was able to lift the whole thing however i am sure that i had to do something more that i was missing as the actual gear stick was not allowing to have it removed.

Back