New CX-9 from dealer, front bumper plastic cowl repainted?

Hello. I wanted to see if someone can check their CX-9 to see if they have this same line on the front hood plastic cowl piece please. I am not sure if this piece has been re-painted at dealership perhaps, or if its just a clear coat line from factory. It kind if looks like a clear bra but I believe its just clear coat line, like they beefed this piece up maybe to help protect against rock chips?

The line goes across the whole piece...sort of like it's been taped up and then resprayed but I am unsure. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210217_123110.jpg
    20210217_123110.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 20210217_122954.jpg
    20210217_122954.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 174
  • 20210217_123436.jpg
    20210217_123436.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 185
Here is one more image with hood up, you can see where clear coat cut off line is. Perhaps its just the way Mazda makes them at factory or maybe damage at dealership and repainted?

Sorry, just my dealership experience I've posted about made me a little paranoid.

Attachments

• 20210217_130026.jpg
    20210217_130026.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 164
Does it feel like a transparent piece of plastic film? Mine has that on a few parts of the car, including the hood. Not sure if it's in that particular spot though. And I always assumed it was aftermarket. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Hello. I wanted to see if someone can check their CX-9 to see if they have this same line on the front hood plastic cowl piece please. I am not sure if this piece has been re-painted at dealership perhaps, or if its just a clear coat line from factory. It kind if looks like a clear bra but I believe its just clear coat line, like they beefed this piece up maybe to help protect against rock chips?

The line goes across the whole piece...sort of like it's been taped up and then resprayed but I am unsure. Thanks!

So I do know that piece comes painted - and is pretty cheap- so I doubt it was re-painted at the dealership.

I can definitely tell its not aftermarket clear film. I have an appt next Monday for a detail that didn't happen on delivery and will check out the other CX9s on the lot.

So I do know that piece comes painted - and is pretty cheap- so I doubt it was re-painted at the dealership.
Thanks Dougal! I will check out the other CX9s on the lot next week. I am leaning on thats how it came from the factory.

Geez for someone as OCD as myself I can't believe I missed some stuff while I was there. Minor things tho but still lol.

Mine has a "line" too but the transition is smooth to the touch. From the picture, the color, hue, and flakes are very uniform. I don't think it was resprayed.

Mine has a "line" too but the transition is smooth to the touch. From the picture, the color, hue, and flakes are very uniform. I don't think it was resprayed.
Thanks Silly! Helps put my mind at ease.

I did feel over the line and it's smooth to touch, almost as if the line is the paint underneath then the clear coat on top. Doesn't look bad to me but I was just worried maybe dealer resprayed it due to some damage they did. No worries...

Last edited:
It looks like a 3M film that was put on for rock chips. It is not a factory option. I had my front bumper, hood up 18 inches from the nose, rear view mirrors and door cups done on my 2016 and my new 2021 to the tune of $1500.00 per car. They cut the film just short of the edges like what you show in your picture. See if it looks like other panels were done or if is just the one panel.

It looks like a 3M film that was put on for rock chips. It is not a factory option. I had my front bumper, hood up 18 inches from the nose, rear view mirrors and door cups done on my 2016 and my new 2021 to the tune of $1500.00 per car. They cut the film just short of the edges like what you show in your picture. See if it looks like other panels were done or if is just the one panel.

Just double checked...it's definitely not a clear film application as this is same body part that had a scratch on it I found when I purchased it. I am thinking it is a paint or clear coat line from when it was painted at the Mazda factory. Hmmm..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-163939_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-163939_Gallery.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 132
I would take it back to the dealer but first maybe you should go to a body shop and ask them what they think.

For sure. I have an appt next Monday to get the detail I didn't receive when I bought it last week done and they will fix the scratches as well. I plan to ask if a clear film was put on or is this just the way Mazda paints this piece. I'm also going to go check out the other CX9s on their lot to compare.

Ok just went out after work to give it a goooood look over (again lol). It looks like every plastic body panel has this...it seems like Mazda put extra protection on the plastic pieces maybe which is pretty cool. Photo attached of rear bumper area which looks like clear film applied but isn't.

Attachments

• 20210217_170725.jpg
    20210217_170725.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 166
  • 20210217_170731.jpg
    20210217_170731.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 166
Mine has it. Very hard to see, stood there a bit trying all angles.

I can feel it with my nail, barely. I could look and touch that part 1000 times and miss that.

But it's there. 2019 Sig in Grey.

Mine has it. Very hard to see, stood there a bit trying all angles.

I can feel it with my nail, barely. I could look and touch that part 1000 times and miss that.

But it's there. 2019 Sig in Grey.

Thanks for confirming! I am 99% it's like this from the factory, we'll see what the other 2021s look like come Monday next week tho.

Mine has the same line. It’s mostly smooth but towards the edges after the ”body crease” it stands out a bit more. Probably variations with how the pieces are painted from car to car.

I wouldn’t stress about. Enjoy the new ride!

The cars are shipped to the dealer with protective white film, on certain parts, it will dissipate after a good wash or clay. No need to worry!

Back