New CX-8 Released - More Than Just A 7 Seat CX-5?

I think the CX-9 is already on the small end of the segment and that is hurting sales in the US market.

They would probably sell more in the US if they made the CX-5 just a little bigger and fit the 2.5T into it. Forget about the third row.

I think the CX-9 is already on the small end of the segment and that is hurting sales in the US market.

They would probably sell more in the US if they made the CX-5 just a little bigger and fit the 2.5T into it. Forget about the third row.

Just replace the CX-5 with the CX-8, add the 2.5T as an option and delete 3rd row option :)

Agreed. For the average buyer the 2.5L NA is sufficient in terms of torque output, but I found this engine to be better suited to the smaller and lighter 6 sedan, and not quite enough for spirited driving in the CX-5.

Or use the ever-popular Lexus RX 350 as the road model. It's bigger than CX-5, and now they offer the 3rd-row seating by popular demand. The size on CX-8 is comparable to RX, but Mazda can't offer a V6. Thd 3rd row seat can be optional or folded down flat like it doesn't exist. The 187hp / 331ft-lb 2.2L diesel could be able to compete with Lexus' V6 with much better fuel efficiency! :)

Or use the ever-popular Lexus RX 350 as the road model. It's bigger than CX-5, and now they offer the 3rd-row seating by popular demand. The size on CX-8 is comparable to RX, but Mazda can't offer a V6. Thd 3rd row seat can be optional or folded down flat like it doesn't exist. The 187hp / 331ft-lb 2.2L diesel could be able to compete with Lexus' V6 with much better fuel efficiency! :)

Mazda doesnt have the resources to just get up and start competing with one of the most popular luxury brands like Lexus. They are slowly tapping into the luxury market bit by bit and have made some genuine advancements so far.

Just give them time, they will make themselves known eventually. They still have a lot of work left to do with their brand image.

Mazda doesn’t have the resources to just get up and start competing with one of the most popular luxury brands like Lexus. They are slowly tapping into the luxury market bit by bit and have made some genuine advancements so far.

Just give them time, they will make themselves known eventually. They still have a lot of work left to do with their brand image.

Agreed. Spoke with several affluent friends of mine. 2 of them said "Yeah, it's a highly rated CUV." and the 3rd was all "Yeah...but it's a MAZDA! C'mon." Note that the first two own a BMW M3, and the other is in the high 6, low 7 figure per year income bracket. The detractor owns a DoD company and their income, I am not privy to, but they are very capable of buying whatever they want and have 0 debt (yes, a DoD company that operates in the black ONLY, no lines of credit).

Mazda has come a long way, but many people with little exposure to them still view them as cheap junk that underperforms in every way. Thanks to the early 2000's.

Ignorance for them is bliss

No its not, its actually quite the opposite for Mazda and I feel very sorry for the company. In terms of actual quality of the drivetrain, chassis and suspension tuning, they are easily at the top half of all their competitors beating out Kia/Hyundai, Chrysler, EASILY. The fit/finish, material and driver focused seating position deserves far more sales then they get. I want Mazda to move into luxury already - Its been a long time. They had plans to make a luxury division to compete with the Japanese luxury makes like Infiniti, Acura and Lexus but simply didnt have enough money because their brand image has been slowly building.

Its not fair, drive the Jeep sh*tbox that barely outsold the CX-5 side by side with each other and your aill think whoever spent money on this car, or a Chevrolet is a complete dumbass.

No it’s not, it’s actually quite the opposite for Mazda and I feel very sorry for the company. In terms of actual quality of the drivetrain, chassis and suspension tuning, they are easily at the top half of all their competitors beating out Kia/Hyundai, Chrysler, EASILY. The fit/finish, material and driver focused seating position deserves far more sales then they get. I want Mazda to move into luxury already - It’s been a long time. They had plans to make a luxury division to compete with the Japanese luxury makes like Infiniti, Acura and Lexus but simply didn’t have enough money because their brand image has been slowly building.

It’s not fair, drive the Jeep sh*tbox that barely outsold the CX-5 side by side with each other and your aill think whoever spent money on this car, or a Chevrolet is a complete dumbass.

I don't know if I was clear enough but my comment was aimed at the consumer. Sure they might have had a bad reputation there back in the 00s and the consumer probably still thinks instead of doing some actual research and seeing that they have improved quite a bit.

I don't know if I was clear enough but my comment was aimed at the consumer. Sure they might have had a bad reputation there back in the 00s and the consumer probably still thinks instead of doing some actual research and seeing that they have improved quite a bit.

Hurts mazda, not the consumer.

(iagree) but it's ignorance on the consumers part due to not actually giving Mazda another go
No, you can't blame only on consumers. It's Mazda's problem that they can't keep the customers after they have tried Mazda, hence very low customer's loyalty or customer's retention rate. Automakers average 53-percent loyalty, but Mazdas brand loyalty was just 39 percent in 2016. So why so many consumers who have owned Mazda and then decided not to buy another one? Quality and reliability issues? Or something else? (uhm)

That must be there because over here there is no lolalty whatsoever. Infact over here they got a pretty good reputation for reliability

No, you can't blame only on consumers. It's Mazda's problem that they can't keep the customers after they have tried Mazda, hence very low customer's loyalty or customer's retention rate. Automakers average 53-percent loyalty, but Mazdas brand loyalty was just 39 percent in 2016. So why so many consumers who have owned Mazda and then decided not to buy another one? Quality and reliability issues? Or something else? (uhm)

I own a Mazda but passed on them because their vehicles dont have the features I wanted in a vehicle like a new engine, lots of cargo space, CarPlay...now theyre trying this weird strategy by trying to make their cars more premium all the while the vehicles get fatter, more numb, slower and less efficient.

Hilarious seeing people blame the consumer and not Mazda for their lack of brand awareness, especially considering Mazda has been in the country for what, 40 years now? They must follow that Hilary Clinton type of logic where you blame everyone else but yourself.

A third row of seating takes up a lot of space even when it's folded. And you have to accommodate the restraints, cup holders, etc. Also, in order to have a flat floor when the third row is folded down, the rear cargo load floor has to be higher than it otherwise would be without the third row. The rear cargo space of the CX-9 is just 38 cu ft with the third row folded, the new CX-5 is 31 cu ft. Not much difference despite the CX-9 being a much larger vehicle.

Designing for it adds weight, and expense. So even if the third row is optional, designing the vehicle to accommodate the option involves compromises that aren't worth it IMO. I shopped the CX-9 earlier this year and the third row is pushing the limit of usability. I certainly wouldn't be in the market for a 7-seat model smaller than that.

I searched around to see what the third row is going to look like in the new Lexus RX. Found this:

2018-lexus-3rd-row-new-car-wallpaper-2017-inside-2018-lexus-rx-third-row-background-pictures-34hw7noo469hicx9bhmkui.jpg

No thanks!

(iagree) but it's ignorance on the consumers part due to not actually giving Mazda another go

Why should they, when their Forester's and RAV's and CRV's continue to work just fine, back when they first got into them and Mazda was pedaling a knock-off Escape? Why jump ship on what works for "that brand that didn't they used to make that POS James down the street always was crawling under trying to fix, honey?"

Why should they, when their Forester's and RAV's and CRV's continue to work just fine, back when they first got into them and Mazda was pedaling a knock-off Escape? Why jump ship on what works for "that brand that didn't they used to make that POS James down the street always was crawling under trying to fix, honey?"
Open mind leads to new and better things

Open mind leads to new and better things

unfortunately not in the car market. many buyers only stick to one brand like toyota or honda, and eventually move to something upscale. with the introduction of the 2016+ models Mazda definitely moved upscale, but we need to wait for their next generation chassis where they will really make their leap into the luxury market(which reportedly looks similar to the old one, but was basically more focused on how the vehicles chassis absorbs bumps between the seat and your ass) personally, I think this is an awesome design because they are not really adding on any more weight with the new platform. if they add some sound deadening and keep up the excellent recent interiors, Mazda, is finally not far off from being recognized in the car market. it's such a damn shame, because their vehicles are well built.

Back