New competitor: 2021 Toyota Venza

:
2021 RDX A-Spec
Just announced yesterday. The original Venza was a forgettable wagon thing that was discontinued years ago, but they brought it back as a proper mid-size crossover. I usually rag on Toyota's awful aesthetics, but the new Venza looks quite sharp. The rear profile, in particular, reminds me of a Jaguar F-Pace. The front is meh and would have looked better with a flat nose, but at least its inoffensive and seems to have proper LED DRLs. Oh, and it only comes in hybrid.

I mention here because we've had a lot of discussions about which direction the next-gen CX-5 (or new CX-50/CX-7/CX-70?) might go, and Toyota seems to be targeting the 2-row, mid-size, near-luxury segment that I think Mazda needs to hit next. I also wonder if we might see some aspects of the Venza carried over to whatever Mazda will be producing at the new Alabama plant.

2021-Toyota-Venza_Exterior_001-2048x1365.jpg

Price?

Looks like serious competition for the CX-5.

some random internet site guessing said:
The forth-coming 2021 Toyota Venza will begin around $30,000. Fresh Venza may become obtainable in quite a few toned amounts and unique models. Also, assume lots of non-obligatory devices and bundles. Higher trims will definitely cost around $40,000.

Remember Toyota has the Rav4 and the Highlander already in the line up.. they will price this model as to enhance sales across the product line.

this will be helpful reading: https://bizfluent.com/facts-6003881-product-line-pricing-strategy-.html

Just announced yesterday. The original Venza was a forgettable wagon thing that was discontinued years ago, but they brought it back as a proper mid-size crossover. I usually rag on Toyota's awful aesthetics, but the new Venza looks quite sharp. The rear profile, in particular, reminds me of a Jaguar F-Pace. The front is meh and would have looked better with a flat nose, but at least its inoffensive and seems to have proper LED DRLs. Oh, and it only comes in hybrid.

I mention here because we've had a lot of discussions about which direction the next-gen CX-5 (or new CX-50/CX-7/CX-70?) might go, and Toyota seems to be targeting the 2-row, mid-size, near-luxury segment that I think Mazda needs to hit next. I also wonder if we might see some aspects of the Venza carried over to whatever Mazda will be producing at the new Alabama plant.

2021-Toyota-Venza_Exterior_001-2048x1365.jpg
Thanks for the info. I agree the rear end design of this new Toyota Venza is nice, and the whole vehicle looks much better than ugly new RAV4. Since it does offer an optional V6, I wonder if the Venza is in between RAV4 and Highlander size wise?

Thanks for the info. I agree the rear end design of this new Toyota Venza is nice, and the whole vehicle looks much better than ugly new RAV4. Since it does offer an optional V6, I wonder if the Venza is in between RAV4 and Highlander size wise?

Yep, it’s supposed to slot between the RAV4 and Highlander size-wise and compete with Edge, Blazer, Passport, Atlas Cross Sport, etc.

Makes more sense why they “adventurized” the look of the RAV4 now - the Venza is the Toyota crossover for those who want more refinement.

The Lexus twin?

I've thought about the, "gee, should have looked at the...." , or "I should have waited to see the new..." But then I realize that at every trim level (I have the Signature) all the other car options would have been thousands more $$$.

In profile this looks like it could have been styled by Mazda. The silhouette is very close to the current CX-5/CX-9.

I haven't read where the new Venza is being built but this looks like it could be a platform mate to the upcoming CX-50/60 whatever it's going to be called.

In profile this looks like it could have been styled by Mazda. The silhouette is very close to the current CX-5/CX-9.

I haven't read where the new Venza is being built but this looks like it could be a platform mate to the upcoming CX-50/60 whatever it's going to be called.

Yeah, I wonder what the chances are that there was collaboration on the design language. The sleekness is a large step above Toyota’s typical look.

Interesting point...They are building a plant together in Alabama and we have been hearing rumors about a "CX-50"...Plot continues to thicken.

When I first heard about the Venza name coming back, I was like "wait wat..."

Interesting point...They are building a plant together in Alabama and we have been hearing rumors about a "CX-50"...Plot continues to thicken.
Yeah, I am getting bad "badge engineering" vibes from this. Seeing it for the first time, the rear looks very much similar the CX-30, but less curved than it.

Another nice-looking competitor just got revealed - the new Buick Envision. Reminds me of the Volvo XC60, which I really like. Companies seem to be ditching the hard creases and copying Mazda's smoother body panel design. Finally!

2021-buick-envision-001-1590758316.jpg

Another nice-looking competitor just got revealed - the new Buick Envision. Reminds me of the Volvo XC60, which I really like. Companies seem to be ditching the hard creases and copying Mazda's smoother body panel design. Finally!

2021-buick-envision-001-1590758316.jpg

Oh, that's a good looking car. Tasteful with just the right amount of chrome accents, as far as I can see.

I thought I read that the Venza and new minivan with come as hybrid versions, only.

...I haven't read where the new Venza is being built..

From the introductory press release:
“ The 2021 Venza ...will be assembled at the Takaoka Plant and arrives in Toyota dealerships this summer.”

No optional V6. In the US at least, one powertrain only -- hybrid.

Back