New 2021 CX-5 and no radio or audio, help!

Hi, barely 24 hrs in my 2021 Touring CX-5 and the audio system stopped working. I connected apple play for less than an hour and the audio suddenly stopped. I can see the song in the infotainment screen but no sound. I toggled the volume and it doesn’t even display the volume meter.

After disconnecting apple play, trying Bluetooth, doing a hard reset, still nothing. I can’t even select the radio, I tried selecting FM and nothing happens.

I took a picture of this audio off display, I’m not sure if this is normal?

4BFA180F-CACD-42E4-8729-A5D0337FC6A1.jpeg

Issue repeated today. Seems to be more likely to occur if it has been shut off for an errand (like 10 to 20 minutes) and then restarted. I did try a test of my wife and I powering off our phones (not that we were streaming any audio, nor was cabled for Android auto) but no change. I'm sure it will be fine the next time it is started. Weird one to be sure.

Upvote 0
Hi, barely 24 hrs in my 2021 Touring CX-5 and the audio system stopped working. I connected apple play for less than an hour and the audio suddenly stopped. I can see the song in the infotainment screen but no sound. I toggled the volume and it doesn’t even display the volume meter.

After disconnecting apple play, trying Bluetooth, doing a hard reset, still nothing. I can’t even select the radio, I tried selecting FM and nothing happens.

I took a picture of this audio off display, I’m not sure if this is normal?

View attachment 296777
I had this issue of sort, tried everything and nothing worked… then one day my battery died and had to get a boost start and then it worked again… maybe try taking off the battery terminal and see if that reset the audio

Upvote 0
Following this as this issue happened to me today. 2022 CX-5. I was navigating and changed the destination to find a better route and the auto cut out. No navigation audio, no music, no spotify. I pulled over to the side of the road. Turned the car off and back on, same thing, no volume whatsoever. I tried that 3 button 20 second press and that didn't work. I turned the infotainment system off and back on. Nada. The volume button doesn't work either and doesn't display a volume meter. Same with the steering wheel. The app itself like spotify proceeds as if it is playing music but no sound, the navigating via my android (Samsung S23 Ultra)and Google voice detect my voice but no sound from the actual car. I read the thread and the dealership blaming the car issue on a phone update is bogus. It seems that multiple issues with the CX-5 are starting to become prominent. I want to like the car but I already had an issue with the headlights being defective and making strange noise, noise coming from the vents for the AC. Unusual coolant and temperature issues and now this.

Upvote 0
Silly question, but is your audio on mute ? If you press the volume button down it turns mute on and off. Apologies if you have already tried that, but a few people have already reported audio problem when in reality they had hit the mute button by mistake, so its worth a shot.

Upvote 0
Note. If you shut down the car and restart within 30mins... the system does not do a clean restart. It does a quick restart (w/ certain memory, etc.) In order to have a clean reboot, you need to wait for 30 mins or longer.

For a genuine reset, pull the (-) terminal for the battery and wait for a 5-10 mins, then reconnect it. You might lose some of the preset (side window auto up/down, etc.).

Upvote 0
I had placed a phone call earlier which I hadn't done yet with it, but the audio was working normally after that up until I got back to the car, but just noting it as only thing different today. Oh, and I had registered the car with the Mazda App this morning. Two recent variables.
pikashow download

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Silly question, but is your audio on mute ? If you press the volume button down it turns mute on and off. Apologies if you have already tried that, but a few people have already reported audio problem when in reality they had hit the mute button by mistake, so its worth a shot.
Apologies for the extremely long delay in response. A lot going on.

No at the time the audio was not on mute. It would be as if the button for the infotainment system did not work at all. After unplugging the negative terminal for the battery everything with the audio seems to be in working order so far.

However the other issues with the coolant levels / thermostat and unusual whirring sounds are on going.
The vehicle itself is most definitely still under warranty as I've already had one of the headlight assemblies replaced under it. Again I want to love the car, it drives great, handles great, looks amazing inside and out but with all these issues arising with it and I'm just now hitting the 20k mile mark makes me wonder if it's a fluke or should I expect more issues down the road.

Just need to find the time to take it back to the dealer and see if they'll give me a courtesy vehicle as it would cost an insane amount for me to uber or lyft to and from my workplace.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have the same Infotainment behaviour in my 2021 CX-5, latest infotainment firmware is installed. I have found no pattern to it so far. I'll try the Battery disconnect - reconnect.

Upvote 0
My issues have ended, though I won't be of any further help here. My dealer had to order a new MCU for my CX30 and was told it wouldn't be in until February. This was unacceptable to my sales manager so he had the service department pull a MCU from another new cx30 they had on the lot and swap it into my car. This seemed to solve the issue and the car didn't loose audio again for them throughout their testing.
However, because of all of the hassle, my dealership offered to let me switch my CX30 for another that had just been delivered. I took them up on their offer and switched cars. The new one has a noticeably quicker infotainment system.
I think the issue is a bad batch of MCUs that will have to be replaced to solve the problem. This is not a simple task and the pandemic has effected to availability of MCUs. I lucked out having such an accommodating sales department.
Best of luck!
You got a great dealer.

Upvote 0
Sad to see that Mazda CX-5 is still having problems with there infotainment system. My 2019 CX-5 GT PP has had Sirius XM problems since day one. One update after another and nothing really fixed it! I have update .324 and just the other day the Sirius XM failed to connect after a short stop.

Upvote 0
I had this audio issue happen on my way in to work today for the first time. 2024 CX-5 Carbon Edition, just got it in December.
No audio coming out while infotainment system worked fine otherwise. Tried unpluggin phone, tried infotainment reset by holding 3 buttons and even stopping and briefly turning off the car.
Audio was not on MUTE ( first thing I checked). Speakers wouldn’t even work for AM/FM radio so definitely not an IPhone/AirPlay issue.

Just got to to work and went to try it again after car was sitting for a 30+ minutes and it’s working fine now.

Reading this thread definitely sounds like I might be having similar issue as some of the other posters. Not looking forward to dealing with this on a brand new vehicle 😔

Upvote 0
I had the same problem today and I tried the "leave it off for 30 minutes" and "press this combination of buttons" - but neither worked. However, disconnecting the negative charge on the battery for 10 minutes and reconnecting it DID solve the problem. How long this STAYS solves remains to be seen but at least the battery approach DID work.

Upvote 0
Back