Need light bulbs list for 2014 CX-5 Touring

:
Portland, Oregon
:
2014 CX 5 Touring
Hey there!

I am having the darndest time finding straightforward information on what bulbs I need to get to replace the ones currently on my 2014 CX 5 Touring.

I tried to use Amazon and just go with LED replacements that Amazon told me would fit. That, of course, turned out to be a total disaster, LOL! None of them worked. Either didn't light up at all, or didn't light up AND caused rapid flash.

So, I have given up on LEDs, and have decided to just replace them all with new incandescent bulbs.

The question is, where in the world do I find information on the bulbs and how to even search for them?

I can't find actual simple names for each type of bulb by location. I called Mazda-Parts.com and they told me the bulbs I needed, but then when I searched for them by the part numbers they gave me, it told me that one of the types of bulbs didn't fit my car. Sigh.

Does anyone have a simple list of bulbs by name, and which bulbs I need to replace them? I am assuming that I'm not the first one who has had a hard time with this.

Thanks so much!

:)

They’re in your owner’s manual, although the rear turn signal lights should be signal filament 7440NA:
6C8FA928-3C63-4C9D-A8A1-92177595B170.jpeg

Remember the owner’s manual also has bulb replacement instructions in detail.

Speaking about bulb replacement with LED’s, you should know LED is polarized and you need to install it at correct position or they won’t be lit up. And for turn signals, you need additional resister to make them work properly.

I replaced the interior lights with LED back in 2014 when I bought my CX-5.They were purchased on ebay and are still going strong.Made in Taiwan and I think cost about $13 for nine(?) bulbs.I don't have the package anymore but I say quantity nine because only 5 got replaced (2 dome,2 map,cargo) and a few were left over.

Along with the "bulb changin" going on at that time which was a topic of discussion on this board, came a few caveats.

1) Disconnect the battery--- this may save you hassle and expense

2) It's possible to blow fuse#54 -(the infamous 'room fuse' which is #54 in the upper left corner of the fuse panel next to the battery) without even knowing it.It happened to me because the dome/overhead sockets were live even with key off and I pried out the bulb with a metal screwdriver.This left me scratching my head along with no instruments(or starting),no power windows or locks,maybe headlights too.Luckily I remembered reading about this fuse a few weeks prior here on this board.

3) There were reports of blowing out the rear body control module (pricey fix and who knows what all this would disable) by shorting across the bulb holder terminals on the rear cargo light.Hence just disconnect the battery just to be safe.Who knows what other gremlins await if you go on a big bulb replacement spree.Like I said,I only changed out 5. Good luck.

Edited to say that I think the bulbs were made in China,it was the LED DRL's that I installed were made in Taiwan.

Last edited:
I used a kit like this on my CX-5

I tried to use Amazon and just go with LED replacements that Amazon told me would fit. That, of course, turned out to be a total disaster, LOL! None of them worked. Either didn't light up at all, or didn't light up AND caused rapid flash.

For turn signals (7440 standard front and rear), you either need load resistors or a bulb with built-in load resistors. Amazon sells a bulb that works flawlessly with the CX-5. I took two short videos to compare them. The LED bulbs are significantly brighter and better looking than the standard filament bulb, a good upgrade.

Hey all, thanks so much for the replies!

@Jmaz; That interior light kit looks great, and what an awesome price! And thank you for the heads-up regarding potential pitfalls when replacing lights. Very good info to have.

@yrwei52; I need to use an "additional resistor" for turn signals? I don't even know what that means.... Time to start reading up on how all this stuff works! Just read up on it, and now I know something new! And I can't believe that the light bulb info was right there in a chart. How embarrassing... I looked in the manual and missed that. :unsure:

@Chocolate; Wow, those lights look great! And what a cool deal, to be able to skip putting in the resistors.

Everyone, thank you thank you for the answers so far. This is fascinating!

Back