Need help from MS3 AP tuning experts

gatesrex91

:
08 Mazdaspeed 3, 93 Rx7 TT
Hi guys,

I am an RX7 guy (I have a 93 FD and I recently sold my 87 Turbo II FC) so I am kinda new to the MS3 scene as far as tuning/performance goes.

I have an 08 MS3 (I bought it new in 08, currently has 50k on the clock) and I am ready to start adding some basic bolt on mods to the car at this point (nothing crazy, just standard intake/exhaust type of mods). Currently the only non-stock performance part the car has is a Cobb SRI.

I have purchased the following parts that I am waiting to install until I get my Access port and some clarification on some of the things I have come across while searching this site with regards to AP tuning/supporting mods:

-Turbo XS dp
-s/u Test Pipe
-3" Cat Back exhaust
-Cobb TIH
-HKS bov (with recirc fitting as I am going to use this as a BPV)
-CPE front mount intercooler/piping kit
-one step colder spark plugs

Now I am about to purchase an accessport from Cobb so I can get down to business regarding these new modifications.

I have a few questions for the experts on this site:

Is there anything that I need supporting mod wise that is not on the above list of things I already have to safely run Cobb's "off the shelf" stage 2 (91 octane) tune?

Do I need to get the High Pressure fuel pump internal kit that I have heard mentioned several times or is that just required for a more aggressive (custom) tune and not needed for the Cobb stage 2 "off the shelf" tune? (Cobb does not mention needing this for their stage 2 tune on their site but I know that sometimes the generic information that companies put out to the public can be less than accurate)

The last question is what kind of (realistic) power gains should I expect to see with the above listed mods on Cobb's stage 2 tune (since I am sure that many people on this site are running (or have run) this same setup.

EDIT: Given that I have not purchased the Accesport yet, taking into account the fact that I am going for reliability more than power (and I have read great things regarding the reliability/safety of Hypertech), would it be recommended that I try Hypertech instead? I really am going for maximum RELIABLE/SAFE power, as the car is my daily. I have the RX7 as my fun car so I am just going for safe tuning for the MS3.

I appreciate the feedback and look forward to becoming a part of this online community!

Thanks in advance to the Acessport/MS3 gurus!

Tyler

Last edited:
having owned a Hypertech for over a year (and was happy, seriously no complaints) to then going to a Cobb AP and being super happy i say go with the Cobb AP, especially with the list of mods your putting into the car i would say you have outgrown the Hypertech tune, which is kinda how i felt when i went from the HT to the AP. also based on the fact that either tune will be giving you more boost and creating a higher demand on your HPFP i would for sure recommend getting the upgraded internals. when your putting that much time and money into the car the upgraded fuel pump should be done.
side note: if you have time to get an E-tune done i would get it done. i did and its night and day from the OTS maps. having a map designed around your cars performance ability and exact mods is without question the way to go. and if you go that way get a hold of me i can put you in contact with a pro.
as far as what kind of power, number are just numbers....lol, but the smile it will put on your face is priceless. if you must know take a run through the dyno section on the Cobb website for ms3 and see if there is a car with the same mods roughly and see what they did.

having owned a Hypertech for over a year (and was happy, seriously no complaints) to then going to a Cobb AP and being super happy i say go with the Cobb AP, especially with the list of mods your putting into the car i would say you have outgrown the Hypertech tune, which is kinda how i felt when i went from the HT to the AP. also based on the fact that either tune will be giving you more boost and creating a higher demand on your HPFP i would for sure recommend getting the upgraded internals. when your putting that much time and money into the car the upgraded fuel pump should be done.
side note: if you have time to get an E-tune done i would get it done. i did and its night and day from the OTS maps. having a map designed around your cars performance ability and exact mods is without question the way to go. and if you go that way get a hold of me i can put you in contact with a pro.
as far as what kind of power, number are just numbers....lol, but the smile it will put on your face is priceless. if you must know take a run through the dyno section on the Cobb website for ms3 and see if there is a car with the same mods roughly and see what they did.

Thank you very much! I think i will just go with your advise and get the hpfp internals as that seems to be the safe and proper way to go with the mods I will be running. Also thank you for the advise as to the AP vs HT. I will go with the accessport and I will see if the guys that do tuning in my area can just do a custom tune rather then running one of the OTS tunes as I am fairly certain they work with tuning APs quite often on subarus etc.

Thank you very much again for the information.

yeah no problem, i think you will be super happy with your results now, and you will have peace of mind as well. your gonna have a strong runner no question. feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions, im always happy to help.

yeah no problem, i think you will be super happy with your results now, and you will have peace of mind as well. your gonna have a strong runner no question. feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions, im always happy to help.

Hey man,

I am going to be running the Denso ITV22 (1 step colder than stock) plugs gapped to .3 (as I heard that you want to be in the .28-.32 range on the gap). I saw that these are recommended when you will be seeing higher boost levels which i most certainly will due to the DP/TP. (I have heard people seeing up to 22psi with these mods)

My HPFP internals upgrade kit from Autotech is on the way so I dont have to worry about not getting enough fuel (I thought it was worth $350 to play it safe and not risk the car running lean).

Is it ok for me to run the OTS stage 2 tune from Cobb until I can get a custom tune done? Would there be any danger to the car for me to do this? (I dont mind if I am not maximizing power as it is my daily driver and reliability would be my first priority, so as long as I am safe running the stage 2 OTS tune I am fine with using it until I can get an actual customized tune).

Do you have any other feedback on what you would recommend I do and/or keep in mind regarding my setup (again, I am looking for maximum reliability in my setup which is why i got the upgraded fuel pump internals, i def do not want the car to even have a chance of running lean)

Just to recap this is what I am running:
-Accessport (I have not gotten it yet, i am getting one from a local seller and I am waiting to install the DP/TP/FMIC/HPFP/Plugs until after the Accessport is on the car to be safe)
-Autotech HPFP internals
-Denso ITV22 plugs (gapped to .3)
-Turboxs Downpipe
-S/U Test Pipe
-3" catback exhaust
-CPE Front Mount Intercooler Kit
-Cobb SRI
-Cobb TIH
-HKS mazdaspeed 3 specific BOV with recirc fitting to run as a BPV

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back