Need advice on how to "winterize" my MX-5

robusto

Hi !!

I've made the awful mistake of trying to drive my MX-5 in the winter (shame on me).

So, I just bought a winter car, and I'm looking for some advice on what I should do to my MX-5 prior to shutting it off and leaving it in the garage (on a lift) for 4 months or so.

I've gotten as far as:
- taking the battery out and putting it on a trickle charger
- putting fresh oil & filter in/on
- adding a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank

So, what else am I missing ?

What is "essential" versus "nice to do" ??

Thanks in advance for your input !!

R

Last edited:
When my dad stored his Mustang in the winter he always used moth balls (or another type of deterrent for rodents and such) and a dehumidifier package (something he bought that came in a round plastic container that trapped water in). He also used a car cover, put a plastic tarp on the ground, and then parked on thick pink foam...but you will be on a lift so those last two may be irrelevant. He also did the battery removal and trickle charge as well as fuel stabilizer.

After you add the fuel stabilizer, you want to run the engine for a few minutes, so the stabilizer works it's way through the fuel lines. Don't want those lines gumming up.

If you had a way of fogging the cylinders, like I used to do for my outboard motor, that'd be a good thing too, but, kind of difficult in a car engine.

Back