Nav and north up

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I have a 2017 with latest updates, but my nav or my understanding appears off. I want to see my nav map with north always up, like i am viewing a paper map. ths only appears to work when 3d is selected. i expected it when 2d n was selected, but that acts just like 2d.

any ideas?

In my 2016.5 it has a north up option in the settings. You will have to be not moving to get to most of the settings.

For most GPS systems, just touch the compass needle to switch. See if this works.

I have a 2017 with latest updates, but my nav or my understanding appears off. I want to see my nav map with north always up, like i am viewing a paper map. ths only appears to work when 3d is selected. i expected it when 2d n was selected, but that acts just like 2d.

any ideas?

I believe you are correct. Mine is the same.

I should add there are settings for this in the settings menu, but also the menu strip along the bottom of the map. yes, i know i have to be still to change them. My point/question is that the changes to act as I expect when adjusted from either area.

I am not in love with Android Auto - I turn it on when I use my phone, but I would love to have Google Maps instead of what we get, as I find what we get non-intuitive, and no input while driving even by the passenger.

But barring a software change, I just want to understand if it is behaving as expected or just me doing it wrong.

Thanks Anchorman for confirming it may not be me.

>I should add there are settings for this in the settings menu, but also the menu strip along the bottom of the map. yes, i know i have to be still to change them. My point/question is that the changes to act as I expect when adjusted from either area.

It seems that the (3D -> 2D^ -> 2D) option is not geryed-out while vehicle is in motion.
2D^ is what the OP asks for.

>I should add there are settings for this in the settings menu, but also the menu strip along the bottom of the map. yes, i know i have to be still to change them. My point/question is that the changes to act as I expect when adjusted from either area.

It seems that the (3D -> 2D^ -> 2D) option is not geryed-out while vehicle is in motion.
2D^ is what the OP asks for.

I am the OP - that change has no effect on the map display - i change it when the vehicle is not in motion. And there is no compass needle in our nav screens.

It appears that no matter what, 3D is what shows the map in North up orientation regardless of car direction. 2D and 2D^ both show the car pointing North, and one is zoomed out view. Not what is expected.

Do you have a '17 with Nav?

I am the OP - that change has no effect on the map display - i change it when the vehicle is not in motion. And there is no compass needle in our nav screens.

It appears that no matter what, 3D is what shows the map in North up orientation regardless of car direction. 2D and 2D^ both show the car pointing North, and one is zoomed out view. Not what is expected.

Do you have a '17 with Nav?

One thing to remember, is that the 2D, 3D, etc labeled option button on the NAV display, is NOT the current display mode, but rather it is what setting the display will change to when you push that 2D / 3D button. (drive)

Mazdadude is correct.
The 3D->2D->2D^ you see is not what mode you are in.

I have the '17 GPS, and I just verified it. It works.
You just need to select 2D^. You should see 2D or 3D in the box (which is the next mode).
Forget about compass needle. I was referring to handheld GPS in the old days.

One thing to remember, is that the 2D, 3D, etc labeled option button on the NAV display, is NOT the current display mode, but rather it is what setting the display will change to when you push that 2D / 3D button. (drive)

So that is not intuitive at all - thanks, will have to pay more attention

Back