Nankang AS-1 225/55ZR19 99Y Tyres

WNJ

:
CX-5 2.2D (175PS) AWD Manual Sport-NAV + Safety Pack
I am in need of a full set (4) of new tyres for my 19" rims and have found a very limited list of tyres available.
I can get the Toyo Proxes R36 for 183.20 a tyre (ouch!!) or i have also found the Nankang AS-1 (http://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/comfort/as-1) for 117.30 a tyre.

So really the question is.... has anybody had these fitted and have any feedback?

Thanks!

try 235 55 19, there is a lot more choices, and its still just 1.5% bigger than oem diameter

Of course it will. 10mm in section width one way or the other is of no consequence to the rim.

According to tirerack.com, even 235/50 19 or 245/50 19 will also fit the OEM 19. I wonder if anyone try 245/50 19 yet.

According to tirerack.com, even 235/50 19 or 245/50 19 will also fit the OEM 19. I wonder if anyone try 245/50 19 yet.

This wheelcombi is a little heavier.......so if you don`t mind the larger petrol-comsumption, it`s OK !

225/55/19 = 28.74 inch diameter
235/55/19 = 29.17 inch diameter
245/50/19 = 28.64 inch diameter

i would get the 245 since its the closest match to the stock diameter

also looks beefier

Nankangs? No thank you.

What's your issue with them? I'd never heard of them before which is why i'm asking!

I suspect his reasoning is like mine. Totally unknown and untested. From someplace with suspect QC, if any at all. And the most important - these things could kill you if their performance isn't good or they fail at the wrong time. You willing to take that chance to save $500 over the next 30,000 miles on a vehicle that cost over $25,000 (in the US)?

225/55/19 = 28.74 inch diameter
235/55/19 = 29.17 inch diameter
245/50/19 = 28.64 inch diameter

i would get the 245 since its the closest match to the stock diameter

also looks beefier

but looks not good on a 7j wheel !!!!!

I suspect his reasoning is like mine. Totally unknown and untested. From someplace with suspect QC, if any at all. And the most important - these things could kill you if their performance isn't good or they fail at the wrong time. You willing to take that chance to save $500 over the next 30,000 miles on a vehicle that cost over $25,000 (in the US)?

This.

Nankangs have been tested and results show how poor they perform against name brand tires. Are you seriously going to save that small amount of money on something so important? Your vehicle's ONLY contact with the road rely on these four small contact patches of rubber. Name brand tires cost come with a reason, as you would be astounded at how much engineering goes into each design of a tire. Sorry, but tires are the last things I would skimp on. A little research on what tires to buy just by Googling a few keywords will be very enlightening. You can always email TireRack as well for unbiased (TESTED) opinions.

since its not gonna be low profile tire it wont look bad. it will look beefy
but looks not good on a 7j wheel !!!!!

What FiveCX said. That is cutting dangerously close to min wheel width range. 225 cross section on our 19x7 is ideal if not more than enough. Even with 225, there is significant sidewall roll/tuck under hard cornering. With 245, you are looking at an even exaggerated roll/tuck of sidewalls. 245 will put the sidewalls diagonal to the tread. Equally as bad as stretching tires, except in this case it's called "pinch".

Research and buy the right tires..

Thank you for your comments, however I have ended up buying four Maxtrek Sierra S6 (225/55R19) which are being fitted at my local Halfords Autocentre on Saturday morning!

I appreciate the thoughts on spending more and getting big name brands etc., and in an ideal world I would have spent double the amount and bought another set of Toyo Proxes R36. However, I will be putting my faith in the EU/UK regulations that govern tyre safety even for the 'budget' options available on the market.

What FiveCX said. That is cutting dangerously close to min wheel width range. 225 cross section on our 19x7 is ideal if not more than enough. Even with 225, there is significant sidewall roll/tuck under hard cornering. With 245, you are looking at an even exaggerated roll/tuck of sidewalls. 245 will put the sidewalls diagonal to the tread. Equally as bad as stretching tires, except in this case it's called "pinch".

Research and buy the right tires..

Exactly, what I ment.........

I would have advised against the wider tyres anyway, the standard tyres are too wide as it is, I get lots of dirt thrown up down the sides of the car, can you imagine how much more dirt you would get going wider.

I have the tiny OE useless front mudflats, hardly worth fitting to be honest, as they appear to do nothing to reduce dirt down the side.

My Xtrail was much better protected by a sill that extended out enough to prevent side spray.

Thank you for your comments, however I have ended up buying four Maxtrek Sierra S6 (225/55R19) which are being fitted at my local Halfords Autocentre on Saturday morning!

I appreciate the thoughts on spending more and getting big name brands etc., and in an ideal world I would have spent double the amount and bought another set of Toyo Proxes R36. However, I will be putting my faith in the EU/UK regulations that govern tyre safety even for the 'budget' options available on the market.

b51.gif

Latest posts

Back