NA P5 performance gains

Forgive me if there's already a post on this but I couldnt find one.

Id just like to hear your guys view on p5 na performance. I'm fairly new to cars and modding although have played lots of Gran Turismo lols.

Exhaust, headers, injectors, chips, ram intake, friggin nos?

What are we working with?

I've thought about the turbo route but I read on here that it may not be worth it and it's expensive and etc etc.

To me a big hp doesn't mean fast unless the can car can physically handle the load through corners.

My dream is a well balanced car with adequate power that can attack corners.

Budget: in debt

You guys are awesome, anything you have to input will be much appreciated

Last edited:
Do you have a manual or auto? Easiest way for power is swap the turbo and exhaust mani from a speed protege. But thats kinda expensive. If stick you could swap in the ecu from a mp3 to get a better powerband. But youve gotta run 91/93. Also, ive read this doesnt work with an auto. If youre looking for fun you could change the exhaust and intake. It will rev quicker making it fun to drive with some suspension mods. Its only 130 hp to start with so youve gotta realize what youre working with. Remember noise isnt power so loud exhaust isnt always the best. Racing beat flows well and is fairly subtle. I have an axle back dynomax muffler and k&n cai and it revs quicker than stock. Even a drop in k&n will help with getting air in. Headers help on top end but you loose some torque down low. Best would be a 4-2-1 header but good luck finding one. You could search these specific mods for more info and help you choose a direction to head.

... If stick you could swap in the ecu from a mp3 to get a better powerband. But youve gotta run 91/93. Also, ive read this doesnt work with an auto...

That's the way I understand it.
The MP3 was only available as a standard and the ECU won't run an auto.

SpicyOrange used to flash ECUs to an MP3 but it too will only work with a standard transmission.

Exhaust, headers, injectors, chips, ram intake, friggin nos?

I remember back in the day, here on this forum, if you posted anything about "chips" for either MPG or HP, your post would be deleted.
They just didn't work. The ECU would just compensate for it.

The MP3 ECU or a flash does work.

I've got a manual/standard 2.0l. I looked at a few catback/axleback exhaust but I know so little that I'm unsure what to get. I'm not looking for a loud screaming exhaust, but perhaps a nice sounding rumble would be nice.

If I buy headers will it fit with the rest of my existing exhaust system or would I have to buy a complete system. It would be nice to even get to around 150hp with some nice tires, maybe coils, lightweight wheels and upgraded brakes.

Do you think 20 hp is a stretch or doable. Also I don't know anything about chips or flashtuning.

What's funny though is that I was looking at p5 stuff on YouTube and came across the red boosted p5 running "unichip" and my boss actually owns, runs, and builds the chips where I work in Oregon. I talked to my co worker about about chips for p5 and he said they used to make them for speedp5s but now they just have them for order on mazdaspeed3 or mazda3 and various other makes and models.

If I buy headers will it fit with the rest of my existing exhaust system or would I have to buy a complete system.

Yes.
You can get cheap eBay headers but some of them have the EGR bung at the wrong angle for the EGR tube to line up.

. I talked to my co worker about about chips for p5 and he said they used to make them for speedp5s but now they just have them for order on mazdaspeed3 or mazda3 and various other makes and models.

I was talking about cheap ten dollar gizmos that would try to trick the ECU.
Things like changing the IAT (input air temperature) value to try to get more MPG/HP.

That Unichip is different.
It's a piggyback system that can be used as well as other piggyback systems.

Or you can bypass the ECU all together and have complete control with a "stand alone".
(I don't know much about that.)

An MP3 ECU (or a flashed P5 ECU) is plug and play and can work quite well.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I was just talking about the unichip thing. Do you try to aquire an MP3 ECU or have someone reflash your existing ECU?
Yes.
You can get cheap eBay headers but some of them have the EGR bung at the wrong angle for the EGR tube to line up.

Things like changing the IAT (input air temperature) value to try to get more MPG/HP.

Or you can bypass the ECU all together and have complete control.

Oh yeah I was just talking about the unichip thing.

Does one try to aquire an MP3 ECU or have someone reflash your existing ECU or do you recommend an ECU for me to buy?

Yes.

Or you can bypass the ECU all together and have complete control.

Okay good to know. I wasn't sure. Yeah im aware that you gotta watch out when it comes to eBay parts

The MP3 ECU would be hard to find.
There weren't many built.

You can try to Google it.
There might be something at a wrecker or someone selling one?

Here's a thread with SpicyorangeMSP about his ECU's.

He might still be flashing ECU's?

I don't think any other ECU will work with our car.

Oh...
About a header.
You will need to do the non-fouler trick with your downstream O2 sensor so you don't get the P0421 code.

Last edited:
They have them premade now so you don't have to drill one out. (which is a PITA.)

I think this is what you want...

Man I'm gonna have to drive up to Canada so you can show me all this stuff lols.

About the ECU, I would take mine out and send it to spicyorange for example and he would do what he does with it then sends it back and I put it back in.

Is that how that works?

About the ECU, I would take mine out and send it to spicyorange for example and he would do what he does with it then sends it back and I put it back in.

Is that how that works?

Yes.
Or you could just buy one for about $200 then send him your old one after the swap and get $100 reimbursed to you after he receives it, so your not out of a car during shipping.

Man I'm gonna have to drive up to Canada so you can show me all this stuff lols.

I don't really have much stuff.
All the information is here on the forum somewhere, but I lost track of a lot of it. Lol
(and I'm old too and hate technology. Lol)

I just read from a guy that flashed his p5 that he found the small gains may have been placebo effect and not worth the effect of having to use premium gas.

It would be awesome if there were more options out there but oh well. I still love my p5.

That sounds awesome and expensive. Maybe one day 😎

Which intake manifold do you think would be best?
Screenshot_20200716-232111.jpg
Screenshot_20200716-232451.jpg

Back