CX-5 Mud Flaps OR Running Boards?

I put mudflaps on my cars simply as a courtesy to others (to reduce the amount of stuff that gets kicked up behind me, thus reducing the risk of rock chips and cracked/pitted windshields). It's nice to see that they also keep the car cleaner and provide some protection against rock chips on the lower sides of the car.

I put mudflaps on my cars simply as a courtesy to others (to reduce the amount of stuff that gets kicked up behind me, thus reducing the risk of rock chips and cracked/pitted windshields). It's nice to see that they also keep the car cleaner and provide some protection against rock chips on the lower sides of the car.
I was going to make that same observation regarding the rear flaps. There's no rear quarter panel to be protected, but the back flaps keep the debris on the road.

I have always had mudflaps/splashguards installed on my vehicles. I choose to buy oem because of their perfect fit . Now, on my 2018 there are also the rectangular "flaps" in front of both the front and rear wheels as others have talked about, but, the front ones don't line up directly in front of the tires as those in front of the rear tires. While the mudflaps will prevent stones from hitting the rocker panels I still get a bit of wet splash on the doors, but much less than I would have without mudflaps.

I have always had mudflaps/splashguards installed on my vehicles. I choose to buy oem because of their perfect fit . Now, on my 2018 there are also the rectangular "flaps" in front of both the front and rear wheels as others have talked about, but, the front ones don't line up directly in front of the tires as those in front of the rear tires.

When murky asked about my mud flaps and I went to take pics of them, I noticed those front flaps for the first time (I have a 2019.) They are meant to help with aerodynamics. I'm not certain exactly how they help. Murky said he read about it somewhere.

With protection as a priority, I agree with yrwei52 and Avoidin Deer. Go with mud flaps for more protection against rock chips and to keep the car a little cleaner.
yes, totally agree mud flaps is the way to go. Just put both front and rear on my new 2020 CX9 GT. I also have them on my 2008 CX9 GT and have had zero issues. By the way I saved several bucks by purchasing from a dealer on line rather than where I purchased the car.

When murky asked about my mud flaps and I went to take pics of them, I noticed those front flaps for the first time (I have a 2019.) They are meant to help with aerodynamics. I'm not certain exactly how they help. Murky said he read about it somewhere.

Good point, I didn't think about them helping with aerodynamics. I must ask my dealer about that.

Update: my dealer said that the "front" flaps in front of the wheels are indeed to help with aerodynamics with the added benefit of keeping additional water/mud/stones flying up into the wheel well and beyond.

Last edited:
Mine arrived last week. Looking for some free time between kids’ homeschooling to install them. I’ll get some before and after pics. I’ll try and get some “during” install photos too.

Resurrecting this old thread. FINALLY installed the front and rear flaps/guards today!

Might be my longest time between purchasing an accessory and installing it :)

You didn't need to remove the tires to get them on right?
Not at all. The new 8mm bolts also had a Phillips head in them. I used my drill with a 90 degree adapter with zero clearance issues.

Even with a standard socket you’d have enough clearance. I did drive up onto Rhino ramps for both front and back just to make it easier to work but it certainly isn’t necessary.

Back