MSP Turbo threaded or pressed lugs?

Mikeyman64

Zoomer
:
Atlanta
:
2002/2003.5 "MSP5"
Hey all,

Working on getting my turbo situation taken apart (stock MSP) to install a new manifold and downpipe and in the process I broke this bolt on the downpipe outlet flange. I tried drilling and easy-outing to no success (albeit with cheap easyouts), and I have only gotten it to spin ever so slightly in its hole back and forth.

IMG_20201022_233546732.jpg

Anyone know if this is threaded or pressed in? My gut is telling me pressed, but I would like to know for sure to know how best to proceed.

Thanks!

They definitely would be threaded in. How bad is it damaged? You may have to cut it flush, use a center punch to start a pilot, use an extractor set (not a cheap one) and remove it that way. Other option is still it out completely. Chase and helicoil/timesert. Good luck!

Do you by chance know if they are threaded normally or backwards (righty-loosey)?

Unfortunately while drilling it out (stepped up 3 different bit sizes) one of my carbide bits snapped inside the bolt, so unless I can get it out somehow I'm left to file/dremel flats and try to turn it with vicegrips or something.

Adding this to my list of "reasons to buy a decent drill press."

EDIT: Scratch that. It's standard threading:
IMG_20201023_120901325.jpg

Now to grab a tap to clean up the threads and find a replacement lug.

EDIT2: For anyone looking, these are 38mm long (can be longer into the turbo) M8x1.25 exhaust or turbo studs.

Last edited:
Back