Mazda MP3 with fuel filling problems

s2bs2

s2bs2
:
2002 Protege5, 2001 MP3
Hey All,
I bought an MP3 with a blown motor from a Pick-n-Pull and resurrected it for autocross and rallycross purposes.
It is a ton of fun, but has a couple of little issues:
1) It is difficult to fill the fuel tank. When I begin to fill the fuel, the pump stops after a few seconds, so filling it takes a while ;)
2) It throws a p0509 code (idle higher than expected)

I have replaced the motor with either a JDM FS-DE or ZE, I don't really know. I'm assuming DE.
(It has the intake with the black vacuum chamber and a noticeable bit more power than my 2002 protege5 also running an MP3 ECU.
As I understand it, the JDM motors have 10 degrees advanced timing, which I imagine will raise the idle a bit.)
Also installed is a fidanza aluminum flywheel.

I have replaced the EGR and IAC valves and gaskets, as well as fuel injector gaskets and smoke tested everything for vacuum leaks, and found none.

I have the shop manual, and under the fuel tank inspection, it says that there are 2 rollover valves with integrated gas check valves in the tank.
I am assuming that failure of one of these is why I am having a hard time filling the tank. Is the erroneous?
Would this perhaps be causing some vacuum or EVAP problem effecting my idle?

I'm just hoping to get a little more info before I get dirty and tear this thing apart.
Thanks

I don't know how the MP3 compares to a Protege5 but check out this link..

There's also a non-return valve on a P5 that can seize...

One guy just removed it, then he could fill his tank.

thank you, pcb. I will look into it.
I did drain a bit of fuel from the charcoal canister, but I was under the impression it just needed to dry out, not be replaced. I will replace it.

Last edited:
Back