MotorTrend 2021 Toyota RAV4 or Mazda CX-5?

I recently test drove the 2021 RAV4 and the 2020 CX-5. The advantages of the RAV4 seem to be correct. Some disadvantages of the RAV4 not mentioned:
whiny road noise was very noticeable above about 45 mph
front seat headroom (driver or passenger) was BARELY enough for my 5’11” husband... I can’t imagine someone over 6 foot fitting in this car
lane keep assist felt obtrusive when driving on the freeway... felt like constantly battling crosswinds to keep steering straight... problem went away as soon as lane keep system was turned off

YMMV, of course

The RAV4 Prime is the only one I'd consider, and no lie, it's super appealing. I drive 35K miles per year, and it could really save me some money. Also, PEV just isn't there yet for range, for me. I will see what 2025-2026 bring, because that's when I presume I will retire my current CX5, all things considered.

The RAV4 Prime is the only one I'd consider, and no lie, it's super appealing. I drive 35K miles per year, and it could really save me some money. Also, PEV just isn't there yet for range, for me. I will see what 2025-2026 bring, because that's when I presume I will retire my current CX5, all things considered.

Agreed on the Prime, but I'd need to drive it first to be sure. Sounds like supply is very, very limited, to the point where some dealerships are marking them up $5-20k (!!) or taking non-refundable $1000 deposits to put your name on a list for a car they may never get in stock.

Crazy stuff.

Agreed on the Prime, but I'd need to drive it first to be sure. Sounds like supply is very, very limited, to the point where some dealerships are marking them up $5-20k (!!) or taking non-refundable $1000 deposits to put your name on a list for a car they may never get in stock.

Crazy stuff.
By the time I am ready to buy one, they will have the kinks worked out, if any, and it should be readily available.

We really like the sportiness of the Mazda CX-5 and if you want an upscale look and feel this is the SUV for you. But the Toyota RAV4 offers more choice in both hybrid powertrains and off-road versions in the Adventure and TRD package. A more intuitive infotainment system also gives Toyota an edge here. vidmate instagram video download

Last edited:
We really like the sportiness of the Mazda CX-5 and if you want an upscale look and feel this is the SUV for you. But the Toyota RAV4 offers more choice in both hybrid powertrains and off-road versions in the Adventure and TRD package. A more intuitive infotainment system also gives Toyota an edge here.
Totally subjective. The '22 CX-5 has AWD standard and an additional "off road" mode. Hybrid is great if this is what you want. "ICE" all the way for me.

lane keep assist felt obtrusive when driving on the freeway... felt like constantly battling crosswinds to keep steering straight... problem went away as soon as lane keep system was turned off
I went on a long road trip with a 2021 Camry, and the lane centering system worked flawlessly.
I then rented a RAV4 and went on another trip (same route). It felt exactly like what you described; I constantly fought with the car to keep it centered. I eventually turned it off.
As you also mentioned, I would hear a lot of road noise above 70kph and wind noise at 120.
What gets me though is the material quality. CX-5 feels more premium than the RAV4. I knew the CX-5 was for me the second I sat in it. RAV4 made me feel like I was just in another SUV. It's odd that they didn't mention that in the comparison.

And why are you giving up the RAV4 Prime so fast??? :unsure: Roof leak?

You drove 500 miles (?) to get your RAV4 Prime not long ago!
No roof leak yet, but it is a bad design.

Awd is very meh. The chassis isnt as rigid as the cx5. Those two things are very important to me.

Cx5 has improved too. Mirrors got a legit tsb. Cold weather limp mode is gone. The latter was part of the tbing that made me trade it.

I drove one and was pretty unimpressed wildly enough.
The last I read you loved the RAV4 and said it was pretty much superior to the CX5. I am surprised you would jump back into a Mazda with the same tech as what you traded in rather than waiting for the new CX-70.

Latest posts

Back