Most egregious BS peddled by Dealer's service department

So I went for my 1st service to my local dealer, where I bought my 2019 Mazda 3. I had multiple concerns. You know what the guy told me?

For the gas mileage concern (My car makes between 20.8 and 21.5 MPG consistently since I bought it, 40% street and 60% FWY driving.) He said that the gas prices were quite elevated lately and that may be why I was noticing it and that the gas mileage is nothing to worry about. Wasn't the car supposed to be making 33 MPG or am I confused again?

For the gas mileage number being wrong on my dash (it says 10.4 MPG) - he told me that was normal and that I need to wait until the car has at least 5000 miles for it to be accurate. He said that the car needs more time to measure it. He then told me that his car has that number at 5. So I asked him what car he had and he told me he drove a Dodge. So the dash measurement doesn't work, the app doesn't work as well, there are no previous daily measurements stored on it - but this guy says it's OK.

Holly $h*t I should have recorded the guy when he said that.

So then I asked him about the climate control unable to keep the temperature down - and he said that these cars have it like that - and that he had another customer complain about it - but that they couldn't find anything wrong. It's how these cars work so I should not worry about it. So yeah right, I get 80F at vent with temp set to 70F and 45F outside. Well done Mazda. Nothing serves sales batter than a car that has a climate control operating at only 3 settings - LO, 61 and 62. Put anything above 62 and it gets too hot inside at 50F outside. MAZDA rocks.

So then I finally asked about the parking brake enabled by default and he told me that I could turn it off. So I said - sure - c'mon let's turn it off for me now please, I am leaving my car with you, OK?
How much do you want me to pay for this feature to be removed permanently? Guess what. - So the guy picked up a phone and asked a tech if that could be done - and the tech said NO.

So then I asked him what else he could do for me - and he gave me a number to some other employee and told me to set up an appointment with that other employee for the maintenance.

There is now just one thing holding me from selling this piece of technology back to the market.
The Bluetooth and the stereo quality. Damn these guys. If I could find a better working Bluetooth in any car...

The climate control thing is a common problem and requires a system update.
I had the same issue... anything above "low" was basically 80deg air and warmer.
There is a TSB on the matter. I asked them to do this at my first oil change and it was done quickly. I guess its a US TSB so I had to make note of it for them since I'm in Canada and they hadn't heard of the issue yet.

He's right about the instant MPG measurements. They are all total bulls***. Sometimes accurate, sometimes not. You can divide the miles driven by gallons of gasoline filled, that is an accurate measurement. Take a photo of your odometer, and then another at the next fillup. Takes very little time to do.

The climate control thing is a common problem and requires a system update.
I had the same issue... anything above "low" was basically 80deg air and warmer.
There is a TSB on the matter. I asked them to do this at my first oil change and it was done quickly. I guess its a US TSB so I had to make note of it for them since I'm in Canada and they hadn't heard of the issue yet.

TSB? Thank you for this. I did not expect they had any solutions as this moron at the dealership clearly had no idea whatsoever. So now I know that I need to be more persistent with these morons.

But as for the gas mileage - I was curious how are your MPG numbers showing up.
Let me show you my view:
10.3 (Small).jpg

15.7 (Small).jpg

The above numbers are total BS, they are roughly half my real MPG and the morons don't even understand that the app should show the remaining measurements - it's clearly wrong.

I wonder how the moron could think that a 10.3 MPG number was OK?
It takes a load of extra idiocy to say something like that.

But that was not all.
I told him that my car pulls to the left slightly and the moron asked me on which lane I usually drive my car, because the roads are not flat and as they are curved towards the left - it could pull left if I drove on the left lane.

Can you imagine that?

TSB? Thank you for this. I did not expect they had any solutions as this moron at the dealership clearly had no idea whatsoever. So now I know that I need to be more persistent with these morons.

But as for the gas mileage - I was curious how are your MPG numbers showing up.
Let me show you my view:
View attachment 222018
View attachment 222019

The above numbers are total BS, they are roughly half my real MPG and the morons don't even understand that the app should show the remaining measurements - it's clearly wrong.

I wonder how the moron could think that a 10.3 MPG number was OK?
It takes a load of extra idiocy to say something like that.

But that was not all.
I told him that my car pulls to the left slightly and the moron asked me on which lane I usually drive my car, because the roads are not flat and as they are curved towards the left - it could pull left if I drove on the left lane.

Can you imagine that?
Well, gas prices are going up in some areas! :ROFLMAO:
Seriously, that’s messed up. All of it. And just for comparison, my avg mileage has been hovering between 28.6-28.8. You definitely need to find another dealer.

Anymore details on the reprogram for the climate control? I have been arguing back and forth that mine has an issue since I bought the car in June. I am in the UK and Mazda UK are stupid cock wombles. They asked for temperatures of all the vents which were hotter than the sun itself and they came back with a technical diagram of the system and said there was no fault.

Here is the response I got back from Mazda UK

"The climate control fitted to the new Mazda 3 is designed to maintain a set internal temperature or temperatures, To do this it uses inputs from sensors located inside the cabin, on the engine and outside the vehicle to determine the optimum way of getting the cabin temperature to the desired level. Once the system has carried out its calculation it will control the blow motor and air flow flaps located inside the heat box to either cool or heat the air entering the cabin using heat from the engine, cooling from the air condition system or a mixture of both. The system is trying to maintain an overall cabin temperature which means the air flowing from the vents may differ to the set temperature, which is normal. If the system was to supply the exact temperature selected and not take into account items such as the outside temperature, engine temperature, sun load humidity etc the cabin temperature would be unstable. In addition, the heater box and air ducts are not symmetrical as shown in the diagram below, as such the air temperature will differ depending on how far the air has to travel.

car1.png

car2.jpg

The SKY-G engine fitted to this vehicle uses a coolant control valve to control the flow of coolant around not only the engine but also the heater core. This coolant control valve was added to assist the warming of the engine, to improve both fuel efficiency and reduce harmful exhaust gas emissions. It does this by holding the warm coolant in the engine and managing the flow to the heater core during warm up. Having looked at the mileage of this vehicle, it is estimated the vehicle carries out an average of 10 miles per day and so the engine may not reach the temperature needed to supply full flow to the heater core. This reduced flow to the heater core prevents it from reaching optimum temperature and the natural build-up of moisture in the heater box and vehicle doesn’t evaporate. This moisture can be collected by the fast moving air and when it makes contact with the windscreen the water condenses. "

Essentially nothing wrong, now move long.

I would think that the important temperature measurement point would be at chest level and an inch away, not at the vent. The vent temp would probably be cooler if the outside temperature were warmer than what you desire.

So my car went in at the weekend and had 3 "PQIs" applied. These are not recalls but more advice to dealers. So first they flushed the system with a citric solvent apparently this is to resolve a problem on the CX5 but some of the first models of the 3 also needed it (I was told my VIN number fits into this bracket). Also I had a reprogram of the Heating system. I mentioned to the dealer about this issue where it doesn't matter what temp you have it set at, the heaters throw out heat hotter than the sun. So its had a "software update" I believe it is more a reprogram and then there was a third reprogram to do with the demister blowing out the wrong temp air for 10 minutes on first use.

p.s this is in the UK

[QUOTE="arrow, post: 6673577, member:
But that was not all.

Can you imagine that?
[/QUOTE]

To be fair not all roads are tilted to the left. Some roadways are crowned and are angled to either side of the road surface. So in that case asking what lane you’re driving in makes sense. Very few “flat” roadways are actually flat. That said there are a lot of things which could cause the car to pull to the left, including simple things like slightly low pressure in the left side tires.

Back