2017~2024 Milky Film in Headlights - But in a 2017 GT

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I've searched the forum and seen a few threads discussing a milky film on the inner surface of the headlights, and a TSB that covers the problem, but only for Model Years 2013-2016. I'm seeing the same problem on my 2017 GT CX-5. I believe the problem has existed since new.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem in a 2017, or of a TSB or fix for a 2017?

Thanks much.

Moisture from a poor seal or crack? Photos please.

Sorry for the delay. Not the best pix, but note the milky haze and irregular "trail" through it. It's not moisture.

I've not been over to the dealer yet.

Applicable TSB's for 2013-2016 model year are 09-014-16-3132A and 09-014/16, although I don't have the complete TSBs in front of me.

2017 CX-5 Headlight Milky Deposit 1.jpg2017 CX-5 Headlight Milky Deposit 2.jpg

Last edited:
My 2018 CX-5 sometimes (but not always) has water mist buildup in one of the headlights after car wash or heavy rain, but these would go away, unlike the milky deposits described in the TSB.

My 2018 CX-5 sometimes (but not always) has water mist buildup in one of the headlights after car wash or heavy rain, but these would go away, unlike the milky deposits described in the TSB.
If only one of your headlights is having moisture inside, you'd better take pictures and bring the matter up to your Mazda dealer as these LED headlights are very expensive.

BTW, the milky mildew in gen-1 CX-5 LED headlights is caused by some gases emitted from the seal. It has nothing to do with moisture or poor sealing.

Sorry for reviving this old thread. I finally got around to having the dealer look at the headlights with the milky film. The service manager took pix and said he would contact district Mazda for warranty repair approval. Two weeks went by. The dealer service manager called and said Mazda was not responsive, so he was going to order the headlights from Japan and proceed with the warranty repair/take care of the customer. So far, so good, and I'll let you know how the replacement goes.

It took a few weeks to get both headlights, and a couple more weeks to get an appointment where I could wait for the vehicle rather than leave it for the day. Both headlights are looking good so far, though I haven't done a lot of night driving yet. No film on these - they are crystal clear like they should be. The replacement required the front bumper to be removed - it's a 2 hour job. I'd recommend this repair under warranty as the headlights are very expensive.

Mine is a 2017 GT, built 7/17. It's good to know that Mazda will address this even though this model is outside the range of the TSB describing the problem.

The TSB covering 2013-2016 vehicles is here: http://mazda.oemdtc.com/809/white-mi...016-mazda-cx-5 It states that gas from a gasket in the headlight reacts with the anti-clouding coating and moisture in the air to create the milky stains. Moisture which accumulates inside the housing is not part of the TSB.

The original thread describing the problem in earlier vehicles is here: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854517-TSB-on-headlight-defect-2016-CX5

Back