Mileage Too High?

Which option is the safer bet? 2016 GT with 113,500 miles for $11,999 or a 2016 Touring AWD with 98,450?

Are either of these worth the money? Is the mileage too high?

*Note the GT is from a used dealership and the Touring is from a name brand dealer

I really don't think it matter what dealership they are from because they probably got from wholesale auction or trade in. Either way no one will throw $$ into car to make sure they are in top mechanical shape as many regular buyers only care about cosmetic and how shiny the car is. Get a trusted mechanic to inspect the car and get a quote how much $$ to get the car fully serviced. I would imagine 100k will have quite a bit of carbon deposit to the valves.

Last edited:
That’s entirely up to you. The mileage lost me immediately regardless of price. I personally wouldn’t want to buy a preowned car with more than 40-50k miles but I’d have to pay a lot more for it.

KBB value on my ‘13 Sport with just shy of 80k miles is $8k for private party sales. $12k for either of those with that mileage looks pretty good in comparison if there are maintenance records and if they are mechanically sound.

Last edited:
Which option is the safer bet? 2016 GT with 113,500 miles for $11,999 or a 2016 Touring AWD with 98,450?
*Note the GT is from a used dealership and the Touring is from a name brand dealer
What does the CarFax say for each of these?
How many previous owners, were they a former rental car, and there any maintenance records, have accidents/damage been reported?

This is where you should start.

If the price of either maxes you out, don't do it. With that type of mileage, something is bound to crop up and need attention. If you can afford some small-midlevel repairs, go for it, assuming that the maintenance records are solid. Also, as someone else mentioned, a once-over by a good mechanic will go a long way.

At those miles - you are in the grey with Transmission fluid change. If they have been towed or driven in hilly terrain and you do a Tx fluid change it could be bad. If you decide not to do the fluid change - well we don't have evidence if it will go bad or not.
Apart from that AWD has some more maintenance - but it will pull much better and be able to put power down nicely. A good indy mechanic is your friend.
Transmission
Belts
DRL LEDS
are major breaking points for those. Ensure the DRLs on GT if it has - are of newer version otherwise it can be expensive.

The LED DRL's on 2016 GTs can be and should be replaced on a free recall.

A four year old car with over 100,000 miles would be a no no in my book.
Unless you have proof of maintenance since new (previous owner keeping his receipts for example), I wouldn't trust it. (I have a natural distrust for any used cars, but that's another topic).
The previous owner may have skimped on regular oil changes and stuff, and the vehicle was only recently serviced in order to sell it.
There must be plenty of 2016's out there with less mileage than that, even if they're priced a little higher.

4 years and 100,000...that's 25,000 miles per year. Mazda provides a warranty based on 12,000 miles per year. Both cars have mileage too high. I would pass as like others said and look for around 40-50000 miles.

Lol... who cares if the car has over 100k.. if it's in good running condition is what matters. If you've been on a car forum (this one of otherwise) long enough you'll find many people within warranty reporting maintenance issues, some major and not covered by warranty. Things can and will fail regardless of mileage; it's a machine. If you are worried about further resale I guess, but there is not much money to be had again at this point. You could pay thousands less for lower mileage and when something minor like the a/c compressor goes out it only cost a couple hundred to replace. Or maybe even buy one of those warranty plans if so inclined. Or pay thousands more and then pay the same when the same parts goes out 🤷🏿‍♂️.

The Touring sounds OK to me if you're comfortable with that many miles on it. Assuming you drive the "normal" 12k per year, you still wouldn't be up to the mileage on the GT a year from now!

Lol... who cares if the car has over 100k..
Ah boy, how times have changed eh.
Being an old retired guy, I can go back in time and remember the days when getting a car to make it to 100,000 miles was a huge accomplishment.
Odometers in those days only went up to 99,999, and when you were lucky enough to get a car to go that far, you'd pull over, take out a camera, and take a picture of the odometer rolling over to zero again.
Now we don't give it a second thought. Even 200,000 miles is nothing.
Ah, the good old days.

Mileage of the cars you are talking about looks a little bit high, considering that a four year old car should have an average 60k miles. Last time I bought Mazda CX-5 which had more miles than average I was assured that despite higher mileage the car is in a good shape. Only a few months later I was testing this new vin check page carvertical.com and it showed me that the car had 40k miles more than the odometer showed. Luckily nothing seems to be that baddly worn, but catching up with car maintenance cost me some extra money.

As some others have said a lot depends on the maintenance the car received before. Our 2016 GT now has 117K miles with 80% being highway. It still drives and feels very solid. I have done all the maintenance myself including oil changes every 5K, 3 transmission drain and fills with the last changing out the filter too and all other needed maintenance. The car has been completely trouble free. I expect it to go 200K.

With that said if I traded it in I'd probably only get 8K for it. With the car business being in bad shape I would start to negotiate closer to wholesale pricing rather than retail. The CX5 is a very well built and reliable car. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's a buyers market today.

Back