2017~2024 Might Mazda waive the excess mileage penalty?

:
Orlando, FL
:
'21 CX-5 GT
I'm just over half-way thru the lease of a '19 GT, and I will be over the allocated mileage. Has anyone ever had Mazda (or Chase/Toyota) waive the excess mileage penalty if they re-leased another Mazda?

I suspect that Mazda will stick to their guns, as I am going to be waaaayyy over. I've planned for that, and expect to buy out the lease when it's up, but if they waive my penalty on a new lease, I would prefer that.

On another note, when I was making the deal, the salesperson mentioned "buying a pool of miles for only 10 cents/mile." Is that a real thing? I can't find any information that corroborates what he said. My excess mileage rate is 15 cents/mile.

I would be shocked if they tried to charge you mileage (or the $300 turn in fee) if you leased another Mazda. That is what they want to happen and these kind of penalties are how they "encourage it". I am on the other side of your position with only 19k on the clock and a little over a year to go with 36k allowed at lease end. To answer your other question, yes, you can buy excess mileage ahead of time, but I think that would be at the beginning of the lease.

Few months before lease end you can just 'tradein' to another car, even different brand. No issue with miles in that case.

Essentially if you are not returning the lease but getting another Mazda, the dealer buys the car and gets you a new Mazda so nobody would care much about miles.

Only if you are returning the lease at the end, Mazda Finance will cap you with overcharge. i.e if you don’t trade in the car.

You can also sell to Carvana, Vroom or carmax as well whichever gives highest quote a month or two prior to the lease end.

Thanks for the insights and advice.
I never thought about selling it to those other car services.

My lease ends in Sep, 2022. Based upon our usage, I'm expecting 60,000 miles (rather than 36,000), which converts to a $3,600 penalty. My buyout is $18,500.

I think you can negotiate just about anything into your lease if you don't care what your down and payment will be. The dealer can just adjust the numbers to get the profit they want.

My lease ends in Sep, 2022. Based upon our usage, I'm expecting 60,000 miles (rather than 36,000), which converts to a $3,600 penalty. My buyout is $18,500.
With that high of a mileage expected I would suggest you not lease again. Did you have any idea it would be that kind of mileage when you leased the car or did your life circumstances change?

With that high of a mileage expected I would suggest you not lease again. Did you have any idea it would be that kind of mileage when you leased the car or did your life circumstances change?
I appreciate your guidance, and looking out for me.

We had leased twice before (Honda & VW), and had not exceeded the mileage. However, this time, our lives had just changed, and I wasn't sure what to expect.

The benefit of leasing was that my monthly payments were half of what they'd be if I had bought it. This really helped with cash flow.

I did treat it as if I was buying it, and negotiated a lower 'selling' price. What I learned is that most people don't negotiate the selling price in a lease; they just take what is offered. Also, a lot of people are used to putting money down when they buy, and assume that they're going to do that with a lease, too. (They really shouldn't, though.)

Should I choose to, or need to, buy it after the lease, I now only need to pay the residual value. In the off chance that I need to buy it, I chose a vehicle that I actually liked (trim, color, options, etc.).

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Wish me luck .🤞

You can also buy it at the end and drive it some more time, then sell. The residual is good. Mine is the same for just GT level :) and checking today's GT price like mine is around 20k+...So good deal, thanks to the 'new norm' economy for 2nd hand cars. There are options. No worries.

Yep, I was in that position on my 6. Ended up buying and driving it for another 2 years. It was nice not having a car payment. Now I only have a little over 17K miles on my 2019 CX-5. Residual is $16K. I am definitely buying it.

Back