Michelin Premier LTX 225/55/19 in stores this June!!!

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I have been researching for a replacement tire lately as my oem Toyo A23's are just about worn out. These tires have worn out way to soon, as many others have commented!!! Other threads on this forum are mostly recommending Pirelli Cinturato P7+, Bridgestone Dueler hl ecopia 422, or Continental TrueContacts. I had narrowed my choice down to the Pirelli's, since I buy my tires at Costco and they had those as well as the Duellers in 225/55/19. Unfortunately the Pirellis are H rated and my GT is V rated. So, big deal you may think, just go with the Pirelli H rated tires. Good thought except Pirelli clearly states on the sticker on their tires that you can not go down a speed rating from the oem tires otherwise they(Costco) will not honour the warranty.

So back to square one. Now, I have been a huge Michelin fan over the years but Costco said that the closest 19" size for my GT in the Premier LTX came in 235/55/19. I don't want to go over size for various reasons that I have read about so was thinking that the Dueler was the only tire left to get. BUT, persistence paid off when I was told by another tire dealer that Michelin was making a new Premier LTX in 225/55/19 at the moment to be released in June. Yahoo!!

So, between now and June I'd like to hear from others who have had experience with the Premier LTX and would certainly take any overwhelming negative comments under consideration. But so far nearly all the comments I've read so far on the web have been positive.

Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 in stores this June!!!

One negative I can see is it's going to be expensive as they're Michelins!

Looks like a winner to me--great reviews on Tire Rack, came out #1 in Tire Rack testing and at about $200 each it's not outrageously high priced.

One negative I can see is it's going to be expensive as they're Michelins!

Yes, Michelin is a bit more expensive but I believe the Premier LTX will be a superior tire compared to the other V rated 225/55/19 tire that Costco carries ....the Bridgestone Dueler. But nowhere near the sky high replacement cost of the oem Toyo A23!!

I have no reservations about going with Michelins. I have some Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my Infiniti and they are a great tire with great traction. They are also wearing really well. I just realized they have been on that car for 5 years as of this coming May.

I have no reservations about going with Michelins. I have some Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my Infiniti and they are a great tire with great traction. They are also wearing really well. I just realized they have been on that car for 5 years as of this coming May.

5 years... holy crap , that's awesome!!! In 2 years I've only been able to squeeze out 18000+ miles from my Toyo A23's so far( and I run separate winter tires). I sure hope I can stretch my crappy A23's out until June. If the Premier LTX's wear as well as your Primacy MXV4's I'd be delighted.

BTW, how many miles on your MXV's?

Looks like a winner to me--great reviews on Tire Rack, came out #1 in Tire Rack testing and at about $200 each it's not outrageously high priced.

I don't see the 225/55/19 99V listed on Tire Rack. The nearest size I see is 235/55/19 101 H or V at $209. Now I don't want the oversize 235's for various negative performance reasons compared to the 225's. This is why I think I'll wait until the 225's are released to stores in June.

The only issue with the P7's is that they are only H rated and my GT requires V rated tires, otherwise I'd prefer the P7's.

V Rating = 149mph
H Rating = 133mph

Why is V required? I don't go 149mph (or 133 for that matter), I'm shopping best tire H or V rated.

V Rating = 149mph
H Rating = 133mph

Why is V required? I don't go 149mph (or 133 for that matter), I'm shopping best tire H or V rated.

There are other reasons beside top speed that a manufacturer may require a V rating--as an example side wall rigidity. In any case it doesn't much matter as most reputable tire dealers and certainly most auto dealerships won't install a tire with a lower speed rating than the OEM tires.

There are other reasons beside top speed that a manufacturer may require a V rating--as an example side wall rigidity. In any case it doesn't much matter as most reputable tire dealers and certainly most auto dealerships won't install a tire with a lower speed rating than the OEM tires.

GTK, Thanks!

Though on DiscountTire.com and Tirerack.com when picking best tires for a CX-5 GT (not picking by size), H and V show as available.

This member was able to buy H rated for his GT from Discount Tire:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...irelli-Cinturato-P7-All-Season-Plus-225-55r19

I am leaning toward the Michelin LTX though. I've had good success (mileage and comfort) with both Michelin and Yokohama in the past.

Last edited:
Mazda specifies H rated 17" tires on both CX-5 Sport and Touring. There's no reason we can't use H rated 19" tires on GT. Discount Tire, who is my sole tire installer, had installed lower speed rated tires on my other cars with no issues.

The real concern concerns load rating. You must not put a tire on with a lower load rating or risk a blowout and legal issues. Ed

Mazda specifies H rated 17" tires on both CX-5 Sport and Touring. There's no reason we can't use H rated 19" tires on GT. Discount Tire, who is my sole tire installer, had installed lower speed rated tires on my other cars with no issues.

I agree, H rated tires may suffice for those of us GT owners using 19" tires. I believe most tire manufactures( excluding Pirelli) will allow you to go down a rating without affecting the warranty. This would put the Continental TrueContacts (225/55/19 H) in the running for me(too bad they have amongst the worst tread life warranties), but I still want to hold out for more feedback on the up-and-coming 225/55/19 99V Michelin Premier LTX's. Oddly enough my Mazda dealer says he would in fact warranty the H rated Pirelli P7's, but, if push came to shove, in a tire failure issue how could I guarantee the dealer would help me out if Pirelli won't back them.

Last edited:
The real concern concerns load rating. You must not put a tire on with a lower load rating or risk a blowout and legal issues. Ed

For the tires listed on Tirerack for the CX5 GT with V or H speed rating, the Max Load Rating was the same (1709 pds).

I agree, H rated tires may suffice for those of us GT owners using 19" tires. I believe most tire manufactures( excluding Pirelli) will allow you to go down a rating without affecting the warranty. This would put the Continental TrueContacts (225/55/19 H) in the running for me(too bad they have amongst the worst tread life warranties), but I still want to hold out for more feedback on the up-and-coming 225/55/19 99V Michelin Premier LTX's. Oddly enough my Mazda dealer says he would in fact warranty the H rated Pirelli P7's, but, if push came to shove, in a tire failure issue how could I guarantee the dealer would help me out if Pirelli won't back them.
I guess there's a good news for you. While I was comparing tires between Continental TrueContact and Michelin Premier LTX, I found Discount Tire has Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 99V listed for special order at $191 each. Of course this is in US market and things may be different in Canada.

But I'd like to clarify certain things. Here are the specs I gathered from Tire Rack and Discount Tire for these two tires and the Toyo A23 OEM tire:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty
Toyo A23225/55R19 99V300 A A51 psi9.8/32"28 lbs.None
Continental TrueContact225/55R19 99H800 A A51 psi10/32"25 lbs.6 Years / 90,000 Miles
Michelin Premier LTX225/55R19 99V620 A A44 psi8.5/32"28 lbs.*6 Years / 60,000 Miles

No matter how I look at them, Continental TrueContact has much better tread-life warranty (90,000 miles) and tread-wear number (800) from government certified UTQG than Michelin Premier LTX (60,000 miles / 620). TrueContact should last a lot more miles than Premier LTX based on these two numbers.

Both non-OEM tires ranked very well in Tire Rack's performance category. Continental TrueContact ranked number one out of 22 Standard Touring All-Season tires whereas Michelin Premier LTX ranked number one out of 22 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires.

They all have the same standard load (SL) index 99, 1709 lbs. per tire.

There is another issue here. The maximum inflation pressure on Michelin Premier LTX V-rated tire is only at 44 psi. While it's still over CX-5's spec of 36 psi, but many people. including me, over-inflated to 38~40 psi. To me it's getting too close to 44 psi especially in hot Texas summer. Mind you OEM Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and Conti TrueContact has the same. This factor alone may persuade me to choose Conti TrueContact for my replacement as I think this is more important than speed ratings. Not to mention I can save almost $100 for a set of new tires.

Last edited:
Back