Michelin Pilot Sport SUV tires, anyone try them?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Still hoping to get a report on the Michelin Pilot Sport SUV. Tire Rack has limited info. This is a performance summer tire. There are maybe 3 summer tires in the OEM size 225/55/19. Please, not looking for A/S

I dont see a point on this vehicle honestly.

The point is that in Phoenix we don't have snow, and a good summer performance tire will give better driving dynamics, but more importantly, better grip in wet/rain conditions as well as on dry roads, than an A/S will. As well as better noise and comfort characteristics

The point is that in Phoenix we don't have snow, and a good summer performance tire will give better driving dynamics, but more importantly, better grip in wet/rain conditions as well as on dry roads, than an A/S will. As well as better noise and comfort characteristics
I really dont think you'll beat a good tire like the LX25 or similar for rain. I've owned PSS tires before. They're good on sports cars, but I dont feel like they offer much, here, the way you drive on the street.

Let me ask this: what have you yet done that poor tire dynamics thwarted coming to full fruition?

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV is a truck version of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tire. The main problem to me is it can only last half of the miles (20,000 ~ 30,000 miles) comparing to other all-season tires based on its “220 A A“ UTQG and my personal experience on Michelin Pilot Sport used on my BMW 528i. And it’s one of the most expensive tires for the size of 225/55R19.

You’d be much better off getting other Michelin tires (if you prefer Michelin) such as Premier LTX which would offer comparable performance and high price from Michelin.

Still hoping to get a report on the Michelin Pilot Sport SUV. Tire Rack has limited info. This is a performance summer tire. There are maybe 3 summer tires in the OEM size 225/55/19. Please, not looking for A/S

I don't have any personal experience, but..

And a video review of the Pilot Sport SUV tires on a Stelvio (skip to 1:50). Keep in mind that this video was probably sponsored by Michelin.

I've always had a good experience with Michelin tires, but the other question is, is it worth ~$900 to replace nearly new tires.

I've always had a good experience with Michelin tires, but the other question is, is it worth ~$900 to replace nearly new tires.
Actually for a set of any new Michelin 225/55R19 tires, it’d cost you over $1,000 with tax and installation easily!

Here's the thing, I'm old enough now to realize that the tire is one of the most overlooked and important safety devices on your car. I drive a bit spirited and am used to my NC2. I know I don't NEED the best, but I'm not confident with the OEM tires - let's face it, you get what you pay for and a $136 tire in this size is crazy cheao\p. That said, if it's a difference between a great $200 tire (when on sale at Costco) or a $150 good tire. I'll go with the Great tire. I'm not sayiong the Sport SUV is a great tire, just trying to find out. Since we're all about all the safety features on our car - ABS, automatic braking, Isense predictive AWD, I want more than just a good tire in an emergency situation.

As I mentioned, in dry and wet a good summer performance tire will beat almost any A/S in terms of handling, ride, noise and maneuverability. - and to those not familiar, summer performance or High performance doesn't have to mean street racing or 95 mph clover leaf on-ramps. Keep in mind that some people chose a dedicated winter tire over a good A/S for the same safety reasons.

So for me, a dedicated summer/rain/wet tire is worth it, YMMV

Actually for a set of any new Michelin 225/55R19 tires, it’d cost you over $1,000 with tax and installation easily!

Well, if any one wants a set of new, 400 mile OEM 19's in Phoenix, I've got a deal for you in mine

I've beat on tires from Michelin PSS on my 370Z, to Firestone cheapies on my WS.6. What I have found is that predictability at the limit, hydroplane resistance, and cold-weather traction are where the differences really are. If you're not sliding your CX5, you'll likely not notice any improvement with a "performance" tire vs. an LX25 or similar, and likely a downgrade in adverse conditions, because you aren't anywhere near the limits anyways.

Last edited:
If you're set on buying new tires, you could also consider lightweight 17" or 18" wheels, if performance, ride and noise are a priority, as mentioned. I think that would make a more noticeable improvement in overall performance vs only changing the tire. Obviously, that is an additional cost. My dream setup is ultralight 16" Enkei RPF1s (13.7lbs each) and slightly oversized Michelins or Yokohamas. I just can't justify spending around $1,600 when the factory Yokohamas perform so well and have plenty of tread. It is tempting though!

If you're set on buying new tires, you could also consider lightweight 17" or 18" wheels, if performance, ride and noise are a priority, as mentioned. I think that would make a more noticeable improvement in overall performance vs only changing the tire. Obviously, that is an additional cost. My dream setup is ultralight 16" Enkei RPF1s (13.7lbs each) and slightly oversized Michelins or Yokohamas. I just can't justify spending around $1,600 when the factory Yokohamas perform so well and have plenty of tread. It is tempting though!

Supposedly my LX25's are about a 20# (total all corners vs A36's) lower amount of rotating mass, and I could not tell in mpg, stopwatch, or "feel".

Ultimately, these vehicles just aren't high performance enough to notice a real difference in minor changes except for ice and snow and rain traction, IMO

Supposedly my LX25's are about a 20# (total all corners vs A36's) lower amount of rotating mass, and I could not tell in mpg, stopwatch, or "feel".

Ultimately, these vehicles just aren't high performance enough to notice a real difference in minor changes except for ice and snow and rain traction, IMO

Did you keep the same tire size/width?

One option for me is to get the above package with 235/70/16, once these tires are closer to worn out. Then when it comes time to sell the vehicle, I could sell the vehicle with the original wheels/tires, and sell the upgraded wheels/tires separately to recoup some money. Have done it before with last vehicle, got 75% back out of the wheels and 40% out of the tires with 30,000 miles on them.

No argument, but you kind of made my point. I'm looking for even an incremental increase in level of control here, including emergency maneuvering and braking on dry also and I'm willing to pay a premium for it. And, I still think I'm going to get a better/quieter ride. I know no one has criticized me here, just pointed out info and opinions, just as I've never commented on people spending money on LED or lighting upgrades, suspension, blacking out chrome etc., this is where I spend my money. - oh, and on that $26 bumper protector

Did you keep the same tire size/width?

One option for me is to get the above package with 235/70/16, once these tires are closer to worn out. Then when it comes time to sell the vehicle, I could sell the vehicle with the original wheels/tires, and sell the upgraded wheels/tires separately to recoup some money. Have done it before with last vehicle, got 75% back out of the wheels and 40% out of the tires with 30,000 miles on them.
Yes, ironically one of the warranty avoiding exclusionaries of my 150k mile bumper to bumper is non oem tire size.

No argument, but you kind of made my point. I'm looking for even an incremental increase in level of control here, including emergency maneuvering and braking on dry also and I'm willing to pay a premium for it. And, I still think I'm going to get a better/quieter ride. I know no one has criticized me here, just pointed out info and opinions, just as I've never commented on people spending money on LED or lighting upgrades, suspension, blacking out chrome etc., this is where I spend my money. - oh, and on that $26 bumper protector
I honestly feel like you will lose rain/wet/cold in exchange for a very largely unrealized gain in dry. However, keep us posted as I'm curious

Back