Michelin Pilot Sport SUV, Anyone try them?

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I too prefer a smooth and quiet highway tire. I also understand the importance of a good tire for safety reasons. The problem is that all tires are rubber and subject to heat and of course road hazards. Michelin is probably the best but I've gotten really good tires from other makers, such as Firestone(which really surprised me) and Continental, my favorite.

In fact, on my previous Mazda, Firestones were the best overall tires I ever put on it. Unfortunately I encountered a small piece of what was probably a sawed off road sign and ruined one in about 2 seconds.

That's the problem, for me, with the highest priced tires, ie Michelin. The softer rubber can still get hardened from heat and UV rays. They're all semi-permanent, ie temporary, fitments. So I look for tires with the type of tread pattern I think best suits my needs but at a reasonable price.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
If you don't need winter performance, atlas force UHP is a hidden gem. You can get them on simpletire

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Michelin tires, but I find them expensive. Currently, I am using Nitto tires, and so far, I never encountered any serious problems with these tires. By the way, I bought the set with 4wheelonline for an affordable price last year.

Last edited:
:
CX5 GT +pp 2018
You get what you pay for they say...
Michelin has always been in a class of its own. but its true some of their models are worth the price others not so much. I have tried Bridgestone, Contis, Dunlops, Good year, BF goodrich on all kinds of cars before but it always comes down to certain Michelin models for me.

Still on my oem toyos (they do pretty good actually for a 130 usd tire 19") but probably getting a summer tire for Phoenix as well when the toyos are done.

Back on the topic, this Michelin, a new tire in that size for the cx5 so probably not many (if any at all) reviews from cx5 owners.

The specs for 225 55 19 Pilot sport 4 suv show :
class A (best) for rain performance
class E for fuel performance
noise : 70 db

//classes are from A best to G worst.

some comparisons
I think the oems toyo all seasons are C for rain, C for fuel and 70db noise,
Yokohamas rain C, fuel E, noise 71db

Here are some tests vs other tires in Europe but you can get the idea.

No argument, but you kind of made my point. I'm looking for even an incremental increase in level of control here, including emergency maneuvering and braking on dry also and I'm willing to pay a premium for it. And, I still think I'm going to get a better/quieter ride. I know no one has criticized me here, just pointed out info and opinions, just as I've never commented on people spending money on LED or lighting upgrades, suspension, blacking out chrome etc., this is where I spend my money. - oh, and on that $26 bumper protector
I have the Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires on my CX-5, Don't let the name scare you the President of Michelin describes these tires as summer tires. I have size 235/55 19 and they handle better in the dry and rain then my Michelin Pilot A/S 3 that I have on my GTI. They perform better than any Michelin Pilot I've had on any of my cars, this is what new silica tread compounds will do for you. I have over 15 years of racing experience in numerous different forms so I know how to push my CX-5 and tires to the limits and past. I was skeptical of the tread pattern and performance prior to purchasing these tires, you will hands down not find a better performance tire to put on the CX-5. I wouldn't be looking for any other tire besides Michelin because nothing compares to them in overall performance.

:
CX5 GT-R
I have the Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires on my CX-5, Don't let the name scare you the President of Michelin describes these tires as summer tires. I have size 235/55 19 and they handle better in the dry and rain then my Michelin Pilot A/S 3 that I have on my GTI. They perform better than any Michelin Pilot I've had on any of my cars, this is what new silica tread compounds will do for you. I have over 15 years of racing experience in numerous different forms so I know how to push my CX-5 and tires to the limits and past. I was skeptical of the tread pattern and performance prior to purchasing these tires, you will hands down not find a better performance tire to put on the CX-5. I wouldn't be looking for any other tire besides Michelin because nothing compares to them in overall performance.
I wish they came in the correct size for warranty reasons, as I considered this tire as well, but also noted the reviews all stated they had a bit of growl to them, and my Nokian WRG3 SUV's were absolutely intolerable, so while a different tire/company, the "all weather" moniker has me gunshy, as well.

:
Phoenix
:
2020 CX5 signature
I appreciate that, but still, you're comparing them to the A/S on your GTI. If I'm okay with a 20,000 tire I have to believe (I could be wrong) that their Pilot 4 Sport, their performance summer tire, would still be a least a little better in terms of noise, comfort, handling and wet/rain.

I was starting to lean that way, but this made it easy - I Just noticed, they don't come in OEM 225/55/19, I know I could go with 235, but really don't want to a wider and taller tire.

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
i have the same tire in 17 and i bought it specifically because of michelin’s claims of a summer like all weather tire, but after about 2k miles or so, they just dont feel as planted or as grippy as the old conti lx-20s that i replaced and they are louder too.

how much pressure are you running in the cross climate suv?

i was debating on the pilot sport suvs but i didnt want the hassle of swapping and storing winter tires again