Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Opinions?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
It turns out a local supplier here in Colombia can get this tire for me in size 235 55 R19. Does anyone have an opinion on fitting this tire to a 2020 CX-5?
It is slightly larger than the stock tires. Visually it looks like the traction it offers won't be any better than the stock tires in slippery unpaved conditions, something I was hoping for.

Colombia does not allow replacement auto parts to be brought in. I imagene this includes tires.

Upvote 0
Well it looks like it's going to be the Kumho Crugen KL33. It is used by Korean KIA of course. No Nittos to be found. Roads into Cali remain blockaded by the national strike including the road from Buenaventure, the port city so new opyions for a good while.

Upvote 0
Well it looks like it's going to be the Kumho Crugen KL33. It is used by Korean KIA of course. No Nittos to be found. Roads into Cali remain blockaded by the national strike including the road from Buenaventure, the port city so new opyions for a good while.
Is the OE Toyo A36 available? I’d take Toyo over Kumho any day if Nitto tire is not available.

Upvote 0
Second that. It seems you don't have much choice...o with the oems, at least those should be available I hope.

It’s kind of weird Mazda ships the cars for Colombia with the A36. The EU at least gets the other Toyo Proxies (summer only) which is better than the A36.

Upvote 0
Ok good to know. I don't know if Mazda has the stock tires or not. I will check. One reason there aren't many choices right now is that Colombia has been experiencing a national strike for over a month and roads into and out of Cali are barricaded including the one connecting with the port city of Buenaventura so no merchandise is making it to Cali. I can hold out on tires a while longer so will just wait.

Upvote 0
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is an outstanding tire. I went through 2 sets of them on my Nissan 370Z. But I wouldn't consider them on any SUV. They are a high performance and rather expensive tire for sports cars. I only got about 25,000 miles out of them which is expected for a tire like that.
I know you are located in Columbia which may limit the availability of some brands, but I would start by going to TireRack.com and reading some reviews on tires suitable for SUV's. Then see if you can purchase the ones you like locally,

I have mentioned before that the stock Toyos on my CX 5 are very poor performers with even just a few inches of snow on the steep hills where I live. Luckily it only snows a half dozen times a year up here. But when it is time to replace them, I will read the reviews and try to find something better. I do have no complaints about their performance on dry pavement though, the CX 5 handles very well on the highways for a heavy, high center of gravity vehicle.

Upvote 0
My point is if almost every CX-5 owner with 19” tires can live with the Toyo A36 tires for the first 30K ~ 50K miles, why not keep using the A36 if there’s no other choices available, and the price is good? And IMO using factory specified tire size is also very important on any car speed related calculation for on-board computers, and wrong sized tires could even affect the safety.
The Toyos on my 2018 were shot by 30K miles. As they aged out they became very noisy. I invested in a set of Michelins; big difference and worth the extra money.

Upvote 0
It now appears I may be able to get Mastercraft Courser HSX in 225 55 R19 size. I know this is not in the same class of Toyo or Michelin but the tread pattern looks slightly more useful in semi-off road conditions which would be helpful in my driving conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's a sticky rubber tire for sports cars. I run its predecessor on my Miata. They are slick as plastic below 45F. The tread will crack if flexed much below 40F.

CX-5 needs a mud and snow or all season tire.

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back