Mazda6 Discontinued For 2022

Interesting! Are we talking a new type of 6 (more premium and powerful with rwd...Coupe perhaps?) AND a CUV 6?

Or...

Only a CUV 6?

Thoughts? Possible model names?

I would not doubt that they have both - a sedan and a CUV - both with inline 6 engine options.

It seems it would not be unreasonable to think the CUV would be called CX-60. That said, is the Mazda6 name finished or ???

What would the new sedan/coupe be called if not Mazda6?

Wait...Mazda9? CX-90 as the CUV version? Or...MX-6 (revival)...MX-60 as the CUV version?

If Mazda follows through with bringing a new sedan on the expected RWD inline 6 platform, it would ultimately be using the Kia Stinger recipe. Seems like it would sit at that price point. Have to wonder what kind of sales they'd be looking at. The Stinger has sold far less of course than the Optima/K5. And apparently Kia has already said no 2nd gen Stinger is coming. So dropping the Mazda6 and bringing a lower volume segment to market would be strange to say the least. Even though it would be the car everyone says they want. Real world sales say differently. That said, I'd be in line to get one in AWD.

It seems it would not be unreasonable to think the CUV would be called CX-60. That said, is the Mazda6 name finished or ???

What would the new sedan/coupe be called if not Mazda6?

Wait...Mazda9? CX-90 as the CUV version? Or...MX-6 (revival)...MX-60 as the CUV version?

This sounds feasible to me.. also how cool would it be to bring back the MX-6? (y)

I have my doubts about the MX-60 nameplate though, as the MX-30 nameplate is Mazda's first entry into electrification. I would think that they would continue to use the double digit MX nameplate for future electric/hybrid/plug-in hybrid models. ... but what if the MX-60 ended up being an electric/plug-in hybrid RWD-based AWD CUV with a rotary range extender??

Lol, lots of spitballing but we won't know anything for sure until Mazda decides to release more info.

Just purchased (24th June 2022) from Essendon Mazda (Australia) a Mazda 6 Atenza Sedan (top of the range). Production build date is 10th September with a early November delivery. Cost here is AUD $ 54,750 including GST and on road costs.

Just purchased (24th June 2022) from Essendon Mazda (Australia) a Mazda 6 Atenza Sedan (top of the range). Production build date is 10th September with a early November delivery. Cost here is AUD $ 54,750 including GST and on road costs.
It’s the old front wheel drive platform right?
As far as what to call a rwd midsize Mazda sedan, why not revive the 626 name? It started out (in North America at least) as a rear wheel drive platform, a cousin of mine had a early 80s model, first Mazda I was every around and probably what started my interest in them. Unfortunately I don’t think it will be in Mazda’s best interest to bring a new sedan to market with the rest of the world’s love affair with the dreaded cuv/suv. Maybe in Japan to which I can get one in twenty five years (and be too old to care).

Seems like the rumor mill starts spinning again. If we where to give credit to the sources in Japan, it seems that Mazda changed they're mind when it comes to building a sedan and it seems to be in the development stage. The product seems to be planned for NA and it will be a coupe.

Just get it out already and take my money!

I bought a Stinger 2 months ago. Brand new 2023 Elite (Canada). 3 month wait.
This is the last year of the Stinger, and they have stopped production, with no plans for a 2nd Gen.
I grabbed one before they become unavailable. If you are waiting for Mazda to come up with something similar, in a market that's continually shrinking, you might want to grab a Stinger while you can. I just don't see how a Stinger type car will be profitable for Mazda. It doesn't make sense.
FYI, I love my new car. It's a head turner, and goes like stink.

I bought a Stinger 2 months ago. Brand new 2023 Elite (Canada). 3 month wait.
This is the last year of the Stinger, and they have stopped production, with no plans for a 2nd Gen.
I grabbed one before they become unavailable. If you are waiting for Mazda to come up with something similar, in a market that's continually shrinking, you might want to grab a Stinger while you can. I just don't see how a Stinger type car will be profitable for Mazda. It doesn't make sense.
FYI, I love my new car. It's a head turner, and goes like stink.
It will be profitable, as is going to share the platform with the large architecture, therefore development costs will be kept low. As I mentioned some time ago, Mazda needs to produce a hallow car, it will be very beneficial for the brand and even it will not sell in huge numbers it will be good. They have so many great concept cars that I am sure they can produce something good.

As about the Stinger I did contemplate in getting one however my priority is getting something bigger for family needs then something for me.

Back