Mazda5 sound deadening complete

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
The van has absolutely no sound deadening whatsoever. It's pathetic. I fixed that today. I did a three part install: the classic Dynamat style asphalt on the door skin (I used Killmat), then I did closed cell foam on the inner skin, and finally I did mass loaded vinyl on the door panel itself.

IMG_20210404_104058632.jpg
IMG_20210404_114229069.jpg
IMG_20210404_115130551.jpg
IMG_20210404_120043748.jpg

I finally got to start driving ours that we just got (2 weeks of waiting for DMV appointment) and I was wondering why road noise was pretty loud. Looks like another project to add to the list.

You need to do the doors and floor at least. Doing the rear hatch door and behind the rear side panels is also highly recommend.

I'm not surprised. Only sound deadening I have seen in budget cars is under the carpet and up by the firewall.

It adds weight and expense that their target market is more concerned with.

I just did Noico stuff on my trunk and doors. I am hoping that, if anything, the effort helped with making the speakers work better. However, even after all this effort, even with just doors and the trunk, it did not help too much with all the regular noises. The rear suspension is still garbage, the engine is still loud and the glass is way too thin. I am lucky I do not drive much on highways, as that is where this car's NVH is the worst. Unless the stereo is cranked up, it's going to be a painful drive.

I will be doing the floor and ceiling soon. Next year will be getting better tires too. My current Fuzions are way too loud. You get what you pay for :)

There is a reason why Mazda's were considered a really "cheap" car and purchased by first time car buyers. I don't think the CX-5 had any sound deadening either until the 2016.5 model.

I just did Noico stuff on my trunk and doors. I am hoping that, if anything, the effort helped with making the speakers work better. However, even after all this effort, even with just doors and the trunk, it did not help too much with all the regular noises. The rear suspension is still garbage, the engine is still loud and the glass is way too thin. I am lucky I do not drive much on highways, as that is where this car's NVH is the worst. Unless the stereo is cranked up, it's going to be a painful drive.

I will be doing the floor and ceiling soon. Next year will be getting better tires too. My current Fuzions are way too loud. You get what you pay for :)
Fuzion tires? I bet new tires will help a lot.

Would have been cool if you used a SPL app to get before and after numbers to see improvement. Maybe someone with a stock setup can provide stock numbers and you provide after?

I’m sure this will help but the thin glass, large greenhouse, flimsy door seals, poor aero, non-acoustic windshield, and thin chassis (America does not believe in luxury “compact” car, bigger is better/quieter) is not address - this will help the chassis NVH but not solve it. The best bag for the buck is probity quality Touring tires but then car will drive like it.

The difference is very noticeable. Much quieter. As far as quantifying, no I didn't measure the before and after, but there is a difference for sure, and it's well worth the hassle.

As far as tires, I run Michelin Primacy AS.

A lot of sound eminates from the wheelwells. The front wheels are closest.

That would be a good area to soundproof.

The (FIFY wagon) has absolutely no sound deadening whatsoever. It's pathetic.
It's not "pathetic". This -- 2012 Mazda5 Sport -- was a $20,625 car new in 2012. You couldn't buy a base model Toyota Camry for $20K cause MSRP on that was $22K.

Perspective, look at it with some from 10 years later.

Back