Mazda2 reliability - better info

You know... I just went through a bit of your site- you should split your stats into two categories- regular maintenance (per manual, schedule, expected wear etc) vs actual REPAIR. Coming from the manufacturing/production world, these are two completely different things. You cluster all entries together on one pie chart which can be deceiving on a car like the 5, where owners are reporting oil changes that get classed in with the same data points as unexpected shock failures. Expected maintenance and wear item replacement is normal for a car- putting those things in with stuff breaking muddies up the water a bit, and to me says nothing about the reliability of a vehicle.

I just added my car, but I'm still trying to figure out where to report anything. No major repairs, but one recall on a power steering computer. My car is a Japanese Demio Skyactiv, so the numbers might be a but weird.

You know... I just went through a bit of your site- you should split your stats into two categories- regular maintenance (per manual, schedule, expected wear etc) vs actual REPAIR. Coming from the manufacturing/production world, these are two completely different things. You cluster all entries together on one pie chart which can be deceiving on a car like the 5, where owners are reporting oil changes that get classed in with the same data points as unexpected shock failures. Expected maintenance and wear item replacement is normal for a car- putting those things in with stuff breaking muddies up the water a bit, and to me says nothing about the reliability of a vehicle.

The repair frequency stats don't include all of the displayed entries. They only include repairs, and not routine maintenance or anything that is preventive. It's possible that the pie charts don't have the same exclusions, though they should. I'll check this.

I just added my car, but I'm still trying to figure out where to report anything. No major repairs, but one recall on a power steering computer. My car is a Japanese Demio Skyactiv, so the numbers might be a but weird.

It might not be possible to report anything currently for a Demio, though I can set this up.

We BADLY need a better, more efficient engine in the U.S. car.

Update: I guess you enrolled it as a Mazda2, since we didn't have the Demio in the model list. What are the specs for the engine in your car?

Last edited:
We've updated our reliability stats for the Mazda2 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2011 Mazda2: 9, low

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Mazda Mazda2 reliability ratings and comparisons

We've updated our reliability stats for the Mazda2 to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013.

2011 Mazda2: 14, low

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Our reliability stats for the Mazda2 now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

2011 Mazda2: 16, low

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

I know this is old but I am getting a Mazda 2 2014 Friday and would sign up if it's still going on. LOL!

Still going on, but not enough 2014s signed up to include them in the main survey--as much as I'd like to. One more will help get there, though.

We've updated our reliability stats for the Mazda2 to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

2011 Mazda2: 21, low

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

We've updated our reliability stats for the Mazda2 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2011 Mazda2: 25, low, small sample size

Additional participants would be very helpful. (I'd love to be able to drop the disclaimers and cover all model years.)

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

2011 mazda 2: I made one trip to the dealer to fix leaking oil in the engine around 26K miles. Then after my bumper to bumper 36K warranty expire my driver side door lock broke so it cost me $100 to fix it myself. I wish it would of broke before the 36K so the dealer would cover it.

We've updated our reliability stats for the Mazda2 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015.

2011 Mazda2: 5, low, small sample size

I'd love to have stats for all model years--a matter of getting more owners involved.

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

112k miles on my M2 stick with zero issues. Just normal maintenance and I replaced the serpentine belt last fall. I'm making a 1k mile trip this weekend but I'm looking to upgrade to a M3 hatch.

15k since I took possession of my 2011m2, oil pan gasket and pressure sender started leaking oil, serpentine belt needs changing. Other than that, solid little car. (bleeding has been fixed, belt still needs replacement)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

105k on my 2011.
- Oil changes every 5k using Mobile 1 0W20, and Mazda oil filters with new drain plug seal every time.
- K/N air filter and Purolator cabin filter as normal
- Had the CEL TSB for the fuel filler neck frozen sensor thingy, it went away on its own...
- Changed the serpentine belt and spark plugs at 100k.
- The most annoying thing has been having to change the fog light bulbs about 100 times haha. But I attribute that to driving to work in the dark and driving home from work in the dark for its entire life so far.
- Currently i've had to smack the dash board to make the radio come back on a couple times.... still working on figuring that out...

Generally speaking the cars been great and is about paid off now. Can't complain.

Back