Mazda to reduce auto production

:
2021 CX-9 Sig
:
2021 CX-5 GT
Yeah I've been hearing this more and more across the board as well...Thanks for the heads up, good to know how it's affecting Mazda. Does this mean for those in the market that it may be harder to find the exact Mazda you want and that Dealers may be less willing to discount?

Yeah I've been hearing this more and more across the board as well...Thanks for the heads up, good to know how it's affecting Mazda. Does this mean for those in the market that it may be harder to find the exact Mazda you want and that Dealers may be less willing to discount?

That would be my fear. My local dealer did not have many CX-9's Signatures or AWD GT's around and I am pretty sure it impacted the price. Limited supplies of their most popular vehicle, the CX-5 is not good.

What I heard..
Automakers practice the so-called JIT (just-in-time) production to reduce inventory. This was pioneered by Toyota. Everyone else copied it.

Last year, auto sales was horrible. So, suppliers of automakers cut the orders of semiconductors (or chips). To be fair, they were warned of the consequence of canceling orders. The production bandwidth was naturally shifted to making chips for computers/laptops/cellphones, which have been in high demand due to WFH (work from home).

Now, auto sales are coming back, there is not enough production bandwidth for chips needed in automobiles...Blame their genius JIT system. Globally, semiconductor (chip) production is in high demand. Crying does not help. Building new fabrication factories takes about 2-3 yrs...

For example, the LCD screen in vehicles today. It needs a LCD driver. Not super high-tech chips, but the production bandwidth has been taken. Now, it needs to wait in line.

I work in semiconductor industry. That is what I heard.

Coming from the PC parts side of the house, a lot of the computer chips for autos are manufactured at TSMC and word on the street is they are having trouble pumping those chips out along with the crazy demand for PC chips. I heard TSMC is prioritizing auto maker chips now.

Toyota's Kanban lean manufacturing process is genius. They would have had this issue either way really, it might have just been delayed.

Don't car company's just use mainstream ARM chips? With AA and CarPlay, I would have thought so. Perhaps it's other more specialized chips that are in short supply?

Toyota's Kanban lean manufacturing process is genius. They would have had this issue either way really, it might have just been delayed.

Don't car company's just use mainstream ARM chips? With AA and CarPlay, I would have thought so. Perhaps it's other more specialized chips that are in short supply?

It appears to be some chip involved in brake functions.

Yeah, Kanban and lean are very prevalent ideologies for IT now. I work in an agile company and we have Kanban groups and scrum groups.

Renansis had a fire in their factory few days ago. Renansis is a big auto-chip supplier to most Japanese brands..... this just makes the crisis worse.

I work at GE Healthcare and they're big into Lean practices. It does work, but I hate participating in them 😂
Yeah current place follows Scaled Agile (SAFe).

Technically my role doesn't exist in that framework, but we are a highly regulated/auditable field so kinda has to. We just don't slow them down, so its an interesting balance, but we got it to work. Will be better when a lot of the process can get automated.

Renansis had a fire in their factory few days ago. Renansis is a big auto-chip supplier to most Japanese brands..... this just makes the crisis worse.
Oh wow! A friend of mine who a 2018 CX-5 got re-ended and had it put into a dealership for repair..Some of the parts will take a month to come!

There is also a huge, national, shipping problem right now with boats sitting and waiting weeks and weeks to get unloaded.

Back