Mazda MX-5 Miata reliability - how does it compare?

79k miles.
P.S. Way too much info required via the referenced website. Not easy to use, not willing to put up with it.

I'm working on this. Can you be more specific on what seems excessive?

Some people find the site simple, others find it overly complicated. I'm working on a redesign that will serve both groups. Detailed feedback really helps.

On the survey itself, we're very close to the minimum sample size for a few years of the Miata now. A few more participants per model year would be very helpful.

The site has some shortcomings, but we'll be happy to work with anyone who's willing to help us to fix these and provide everyone with better information.

Details here:

Car reliability research

The 2006 has been added to the main survey, and the 1999 and 2007 are both close.

Results recently updated for 220+ other cars. Looking forward to including the MX-5 in future results.

Just added my new '09. Have you considered posting this on any other forums, like miata.net? A lot more Miata owners there, I think, than here.

Just bought a 2010. waiting for her to come in. although i dont think that will be too helpful for your research...

Just bought a 2010. waiting for her to come in. although i dont think that will be too helpful for your research...

Actually, while there's no bad time to start, when the car is new is the best time to start, because we only include data beginning with the month you join. So to cover cars from when they are new, they have to be enrolled when they are new.

The larger problem is that not enough Miatas are signed up yet. This is the only Miata forum where, as the site owner, I'm able to post. But if others want to post about the survey elsewhere, that would certainly help.

Car reliability research

awesome. well when she gets here i'll be able to let ya know. but i really hope I dont have any problems. i've waited too long for this car!
Actually, while there's no bad time to start, when the car is new is the best time to start, because we only include data beginning with the month you join. So to cover cars from when they are new, they have to be enrolled when they are new.

The larger problem is that not enough Miatas are signed up yet. This is the only Miata forum where, as the site owner, I'm able to post. But if others want to post about the survey elsewhere, that would certainly help.

Car reliability research

We have our first result for the Miata. With a reported repair rate of 34 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2006 Miata is better than average.

Small sample size, so this is a preliminary result.

A big thanks to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could have full results for all model years from 1995 on.

Mazda MX-5 Miata reliability comparisons

For the 1999 we ended up a single response short of the minimum, and other years are also close. Just a few additional participants per model year would be very helpful.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

My '96 M is already registered.

For the record: 148,000 miles.

2 slave cylinders
3 sets of plug wires
Some odd timing / ignition module that came unbolted at 115,000
A starter
A valve / cam cover gasket

And that's it. 29-31 mpg, commutes daily. Poor thing. Salt, snow, whatever.

Last edited:
We have updated results for the Miata to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 71, about average

2006: 21, better than average

Small sample sizes, which probably is the most of the reason for the difference between the two years. In future updates I expect to see more consistent results.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise results and cover all model years from 1995 on.

Recently enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record for cars 2000 MY and newer.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May.

Car reliability research

We have updated results for the Miata to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 38

2006: 21

1999: 78

Small sample sizes, which probably is the most of the reason for the difference between the the 2006 and 2008.

More participants than earlier, though, and the numbers have started to even out. All are now better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise results and cover all model years from 1995 on.

We have updated results for the Miata to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 48, about average

2006: 17, better than average

1999: 76, better than average

Small sample sizes for the 1999 and 2008, which probably is the most of the reason for the difference between the the 2006 and 2008.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise results and cover all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and help make this happen:

We have updated results for the Miata to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2008: 29

2007: no repairs reported yet, 15 cars

2006: 10

1999: 57

All are better than average.

Decent sample sizes for the 2006 and 2008, small sample sizes for the others.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise results and cover all model years from 1995 on.

Mazda MX-5 Miata reliability ratings and comparisons

We have updated results for the Miata to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2008: 28

2007: 11

2006: 19

1999: 34

All are better than average.

Decent sample sizes for the 2006 and 2008, small sample sizes for the others.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise results and cover all model years from 1995 on.

Mazda MX-5 Miata reliability ratings and comparisons

Back