Mazda Mobile Start App

Lots of posts on this around. From what I've seen, most people who have this are disappointed in the operation and wish they hadn't paid for it.

There are aftermarket kits around that apparently work much better (and that use your original remotes) and are cheaper to boot. I have the Fortin in our car and am very happy with it. Just press the lock button 3 times to start (or configure to lock-unlock-lock).

Yeah, I've found mixed results on the application. I have an after market. Click keyfob 3 time, but there's also a separate remote that works from inside the store.

Thanks

Err, OK, but if you have one, then why did you ask?

I was hoping that the phone app was a reliable option as it's easier for me to get my phone out than my key. As you've said, the review are mostly negative on the mobile start app

I've heard the same about the operation. Mostly that the app sucks.

Apparently DroneMobile paired with something like Fortin is better/cheaper overall.

Yep... go to your respective app store and read the reviews. That's all you need do.

I also didn't realize it requires installed hardware, I thought it was already integrated with the car

I also didn't realize it requires installed hardware, I thought it was already integrated with the car
And there’s $65 per year subscription fee for MMS too!

I've used the Compustar with the Drone Mobile module in my last couple of cars. It works great. I can ask Google home or Alexa to start my car. Also has a phone app. I bought my car 2 weeks ago. Best Buy has them on sale for $299 on occasion. It does have a minimal subscription cost to use the smart features. My last car was a Hyundai. I used the app to start the car but it would take minutes to start the car. The Compustar was instantaneous.

Just to add a little info I just got an Email from Mazda and they are discontinuing the MMS
Service I think it was when the Subscription Ends this Year. I've had the MMS since I got my 2016 CX5 GT AWD 08/2015. It's been OK at best, most times I forget to use it, but it has been nice to be able to Lock the Doors from a great Distance as I always am concerned I've forgotten to lock them.
Also, the MMS came in really handy as we were out of town and I got the dreaded "EBL"blinking icon on the Dash and the lever. I don't think it was engaging but was really concerned plus it started really funky, like the gauges went all the way over then back, Needless to say scared us as we were about 400 miles from home and not any repair facility close. I ended up using the MMS to start the car and then when we opened the door it stopped but when I started it the blinking lights were gone

So now I get to try and get the New Calipers put on by the Dealer with the TSB that I saw that Ray posted, and also will ask about the New Remote Key Fob they are offering. to replace the MMS Phone App that I have.

I'll attach the email

Take Care,

Craig

Due to the termination of the 3G network by multiple carriers, our mobile-app-based remote engine start system will cease to function after September 30, 2021. We regret any inconvenience that this might cause you and want to help make the transition as smooth as possible.

Once your current MMS subscription ends, it will automatically renew until September 30, 2021, at no additional charge. In addition, we would like to offer you one of the following three options.​
Mazda Lifestyle

OPTION 1: ENJOY A NEW REMOTE-ENGINE
START SYSTEM WITH A FOB TRANSMITTER
We'll remove MMS and install a new remote engine start system
activated with a key fob transmitter.​
OPTION 2: ENHANCE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH
APPLE CARPLAY™ or ANDROID AUTO™
We’ll upgrade your vehicle to support Apple CarPlay™or Android Auto™.1​
Note: Not available on all vehicles.​
OPTION 3: GET A HEAD START TOWARDS YOUR
NEXT JOURNEY IN A NEW MAZDA
Enjoy a $1000 voucher towards the purchase or lease
of a new Mazda vehicle.2​
Voucher code: KHDHH4QFHW​
Although your MMS will be discontinued by September 30, 2021, we are giving you until June 30, 2022, to select one of the options above.3

To take advantage of any of the above 3 options or to discuss further, click below to contact your local dealer​

Just to add a little info I just got an Email from Mazda and they are discontinuing the MMS
Service I think it was when the Subscription Ends this Year. I've had the MMS since I got my 2016 CX5 GT AWD 08/2015. It's been OK at best, most times I forget to use it, but it has been nice to be able to Lock the Doors from a great Distance as I always am concerned I've forgotten to lock them.
Also, the MMS came in really handy as we were out of town and I got the dreaded "EBL"blinking icon on the Dash and the lever. I don't think it was engaging but was really concerned plus it started really funky, like the gauges went all the way over then back, Needless to say scared us as we were about 400 miles from home and not any repair facility close. I ended up using the MMS to start the car and then when we opened the door it stopped but when I started it the blinking lights were gone

So now I get to try and get the New Calipers put on by the Dealer with the TSB that I saw that Ray posted, and also will ask about the New Remote Key Fob they are offering. to replace the MMS Phone App that I have.

I'll attach the email

Take Care,

Craig

Due to the termination of the 3G network by multiple carriers, our mobile-app-based remote engine start system will cease to function after September 30, 2021. We regret any inconvenience that this might cause you and want to help make the transition as smooth as possible.

Once your current MMS subscription ends, it will automatically renew until September 30, 2021, at no additional charge. In addition, we would like to offer you one of the following three options.​

Mazda Lifestyle

OPTION 1: ENJOY A NEW REMOTE-ENGINE
START SYSTEM WITH A FOB TRANSMITTER
We'll remove MMS and install a new remote engine start system
activated with a key fob transmitter.​
OPTION 2: ENHANCE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH
APPLE CARPLAY™ or ANDROID AUTO™
We’ll upgrade your vehicle to support Apple CarPlay™or Android Auto™.1​
Note: Not available on all vehicles.​
OPTION 3: GET A HEAD START TOWARDS YOUR
NEXT JOURNEY IN A NEW MAZDA
Enjoy a $1000 voucher towards the purchase or lease
of a new Mazda vehicle.2​
Voucher code: KHDHH4QFHW​
Although your MMS will be discontinued by September 30, 2021, we are giving you until June 30, 2022, to select one of the options above.3

To take advantage of any of the above 3 options or to discuss further, click below to contact your local dealer​
OEM remote start and MMS are crappy at best. Forget about Mazda remote start with an extra key fob, but go get an aftermarket remote start system which has been mentioned including iDatalink HC2352AC and many others. They enable the factory key fob to start the car by pressing the lock button 3 times. They won't shut off the engine when you open a door. The module also has secure takeover, so if you have the key fob with you when you press on the brake it doesn't shut off the car. Those systems are compatible with both gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5's.

2020 CX-5 Aftermarket Remote Start Honking Horn

2020 aftermarket remote start

2017 CX-5 Auto start

Out of 3 options, I’d get free Apple Carplay™ or Android Auto™ installed. I‘d definitely skip Mazda’s Remote Engine Start which requires a second large fob WITH A TELESCOPIC ANTENNA! If you really want remote start, find an aftermarket remote start which utilizes original key fob and it doesn’t shut the engine off when you open the driver door.

About to Get CX-5 GT AWD, Looking for advice

Thanks So Much Ray, I knew I could count on You !!! I don't think I want a second FOB

Sure hate to throw away the MMS but have to say I've probably only used it 20-30 times in the 5yrs
I've owned the CX5 It was nice to have to lock the doors and start a couple of times.

Take Care, Be Safe,
CK

The 2021 I just bought has remote start with the MyMazda app. Seems to work well enough, but I'm disappointed now - saw on that MMS video that it lets you turn on the defrost remotely. Bummed that MyMazda doesn't let you do that.

Mark

That's ridiculous that they didn't plan for this but I do kind of like the response.
I assume option 1 and 2 are at no cost.
And an automatic $1,000 off the top of a new car?

Back