Mazda Factory Trailer Hitch question

I'm pretty sure no.

trailer hitch0000-8E-R01 ~ 0000-8E-R06GEN2best installed at the port or by very competent dealer (bumper trim cutout)https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/trailer-hitch.123870269/post-6671725

checking the part number.. i saw no mention of a hitch receiver.

So lucky you you can pick one of your choice!

https://smile. amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-21536-Towing-Starter/dp/B0016C3STQ/
https://smile. amazon.com/CURT-45056-Loaded-Ball-Mount/dp/B001EOYK98/
https://smile. amazon.com/HiTow-Receiver-Adapter-Trailer-Extender/dp/B073TDQ7BC/
https://smile. amazon.com/Toptow-64181-Trailer-Receiver-Triple/dp/B07XFZYBSC/

They also don't come with the cover
Trailer Hitch Receiver Cover0000-8E-Z14

I guess you could source the Australian one
Australian towing hitch bar KFACTBGEN2https://www.mazda.com.au/accessory-pack/KFACTB

That comes with everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the MAZDA factory trailer hitch come with the receiver?
What do you define as the receiver?

The Mazda trailer hitch has the receiver tube integrated into the assembly, if that is what you are asking. It does not have the ball mount, hitch pin, safety chains, brake light harness. Note the part number for the 2017+ trailer hitch is 0000-8E-R06A.
You can also see the Parts of trailer hitch which is a great primer.

Upvote 0
@Chas that Parts of trailer hitch is a quality link. It shows the official name of each part, and eludes to the colingual usage of the names of the parts.

on the plus side this conversation has identified the Mazda OEM part number for the ball mount
Trailer Hitch, Ball Mount0000-8E-R08

which I am guessing does NOT include the ball, 2" or otherwise.

Upvote 0
@Chas that Parts of trailer hitch is a quality link. It shows the official name of each part, and eludes to the colingual usage of the names of the parts.

on the plus side this conversation has identified the Mazda OEM part number for the ball mount
Trailer Hitch, Ball Mount0000-8E-R08

which I am guessing does NOT include the ball, 2" or otherwise.
I would agree the ball mount is not included in the price of the receiver, but the OP should speak to a couple of dealers because it is so freaking hard to get to an online parts catalog. I am spoiled by the multitude of Honda/Acura on line parts catalogs...

And of course, neither is the wiring harness.

It is just me, but I would consider a non-OEM Class 3, 2-inch trailer receiver, rather than the OEM 1.25 inch receiver. For me, not that I tow, but when we did a lot of bike riding, the 2 inch bike carrier tube seemed to be standard. It was really sort of hard to get a 1.25 inch bike carrier for four bikes, and the accessory converters 1.25 to 2 inch can be loose fitting, putting a lot more play into the assembly, as well as moving the whole carrier further away from the car center of gravity.

Upvote 0
It makes sense to me that the ball mount wouldn't be included. They are application-specific. You may need a different amount of rise, among other things, depending on what you use the hitch for.

Upvote 0
I just installed the OEM hitch and wiring harness on my CX-5. I can definitely confirm that there is no receiver. FWIW, I really prefer the look of the OEM hitch to the aftermarket hitches which hang down below the bumper cover, but Chas makes good points about the 1.25" receiver limiting some choices.

Upvote 0
It is unfortunate the aftermarket hitches reduce ground clearance a little. A lot of SUVs have an accommodation in the plastic bumper cover for a hitch. Did you have to cut the bumper?

Upvote 0
You will have to cut the bumper to install the OEM bumper. I used a jig saw with a scroll blade designed for cutting laminate. I imagine that any fine toothed scroll blade would work though. Cutting a bumper is nerve-racking. Last time I tried, I found it difficult to un-cut something. It came out fine though. The parts come with a template. You barely notice it's cut from a standing position. I took a picture from down low to show the cut better. One thing I'm curious about is the '16 template was a smaller cutout than '17 and up. I assume for chain clearance and wires, but the smaller hole would've looked better, I think.

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 256
  • hitch2.jpg
    hitch2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0
It looks like the scroll saw works great. Smaller might even look better but you are probably right about the chains.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Adding to this chain. I have a 2021 cx9 with the Mazda factory hitch - I need a 3-4 hanging bike rack but almost all the instructions say the hole from the face of the plate needs to be minimum 1.5 inches centered. See photo . The Mazda hole is 1.125-1.25 - see photo. Does this really matter? Does anyone have a bike rack brand that works already? Any replies would be greatly appreciate!

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5070.jpeg
    IMG_5070.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
The hitch is the receiver. It receives an accessory. The hole in the bumper for the OEM hitch would forever bother me. I think they sell covers to hide the hole.

Upvote 0
You will have to cut the bumper to install the OEM bumper. I used a jig saw with a scroll blade designed for cutting laminate. I imagine that any fine toothed scroll blade would work though. Cutting a bumper is nerve-racking. Last time I tried, I found it difficult to un-cut something. It came out fine though. The parts come with a template. You barely notice it's cut from a standing position. I took a picture from down low to show the cut better. One thing I'm curious about is the '16 template was a smaller cutout than '17 and up. I assume for chain clearance and wires, but the smaller hole would've looked better, I think.
@Hipoe Hey there, great job with the Jig Saw with fine tooth scroll blade but did you just leave it as is or did you use like a weather stripping to cover the cut?

Also do you mind showing me the correct scroll blade? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I tried to get a 2 inch hitch installed by the dealer but they said that they only install the OEM 1.25 inch ($900)! I am going to haul 2 70lb. ebikes and the hitch rack is a 2” and specifically says to not not use a 2” adapter. So went with an aftermarket 2” hitch. Under the bumper which reduces the ground clearance a little but I don’t do much off road driving so not worried about the small reduction in clearance. Plus I didn’t want my rear bumper cover cut. Works great and was $450 cheaper than the dealer.

Upvote 0
$900 for a hitch is almost unbelievable. I think U-Haul has them for less than two hundred. Did the $900 include the wiring or anything else?

Upvote 0
I installed a Curt 2" myself, (I promise, it's not hard at all), and it was all of $130! Add $30 for the wiring harness that's plug and play into your brake lights, and we are still far, far under $200.

Oh, and no cutting of the bumper cover, either.

Yes you lose a little ground clearance, but that's easy to remedy, you simply get a 2" drop receiver, and flip it over, making it a 2" raised receiver. Back in business.

Upvote 0
I installed a Curt 2" myself, (I promise, it's not hard at all), and it was all of $130! Add $30 for the wiring harness that's plug and play into your brake lights, and we are still far, far under $200.

Oh, and no cutting of the bumper cover, either.

Yes you lose a little ground clearance, but that's easy to remedy, you simply get a 2" drop receiver, and flip it over, making it a 2" raised receiver. Back in business.
Wait what did you tried it personally flipping it over?

Upvote 0
The hitch receiver drops down about 2.5 inches below the bumper. That's ground clearance you might want driving up a very steep drive or slope.
Flipping the ball hitch will have an effect on levelling the trailer ( or not) but you still have reduced ground clearance because of the hitch.

I figure if that becomes a problem I could remove the Curt hitch and cut the bumper cover to install a factory OEM hitch.

So far not really a problem, but there are scratch marks on the bottom of the Curt hitch.

Upvote 0
Back