Mazda Dealer Service

Drove in this morning to get my oil change at the dealer. They do a “walk around video” of the car. Kinda cool. Then send you a video of the results. Hoping I don’t mess this up trying to transfer it over:

“Hi RICHARD, this is Jeremy at Nelson Mazda Norman. Please watch the video of YOUR vehicle at this website https://tvidnow.com/p9nBvCH. Reply to this number by text to tell me how you liked it. Reply STOP to opt out.”

Drove in this morning to get my oil change at the dealer. They do a “walk around video” of the car. Kinda cool. Then send you a video of the results. Hoping I don’t mess this up trying to transfer it over:

“Hi RICHARD, this is Jeremy at Nelson Mazda Norman. Please watch the video of YOUR vehicle at this website https://tvidnow.com/p9nBvCH. Reply to this number by text to tell me how you liked it. Reply STOP to opt out.”

Vid and link worked great for me. I wish my dealer did this. This is way more important to me than a nice coffee machine and free pastries in the Lounge area. With Mazda moving upmarket, encouraging quality dealer service like that shown in the video should be one of their main priorities.

He was thorough, descriptive, and justified his recommendations by showing you a comparison (WRT to the fluids). Ideally brake fluid would be tested for moisture, and that should be the determining cause for service, not the way it looks. Generally brake fluid has a slight yellow/gold tint to it, even when brand new. Transmission fluid is at your discretion. You aren't expected to change or even inspect the fluid over the course of the powertrain warranty, but many do recommend it.

Vid and link worked great for me. I wish my dealer did this. This is way more important to me than a nice coffee machine and free pastries in the Lounge area. With Mazda moving upmarket, encouraging quality dealer service like that shown in the video should be one of their main priorities.

He was thorough, descriptive, and justified his recommendations by showing you a comparison (WRT to the fluids). Ideally brake fluid would be tested for moisture, and that should be the determining cause for service, not the way it looks. Generally brake fluid has a slight yellow/gold tint to it, even when brand new. Transmission fluid is at your discretion. You aren't expected to change or even inspect the fluid over the course of the powertrain warranty, but many do recommend it.
I will admit, they did have a great coffee machine with all the options. Sadly, no pastries. Not this trip, but have had snacks on previous visits. Then again, the dealership is going thru an entire makeover.

About the only thing that was not upgraded were the walls and ceilings. But a fresh coat of paint sure did wonders. Floors done in gray marble. The entire service department floor was finished off with epoxy. It looked like you could perform surgery in any of those bays.

The service techs wear starched white shirts with black trousers. At 8:45am, there wasn’t any grease of oil on those shirts. Maybe by noon? LOL

On a scale of 1:10? I would give them a “hard” 9.5!

I’m on the fence about the brake fluid & trans fluid. However, blowing out the carbon on the intake valves? I have a friend (2018 Mazda3), that serviced his own. His friend held the RPM’s higher to keep the engine from stalling while he sprayed the fluid inside the intake hose. He told me that it was unreal how much black soot blew out the back, initially, then went away on repeated sprays. So, I dunno. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m on the fence about the brake fluid & trans fluid. However, blowing out the carbon on the intake valves? I have a friend (2018 Mazda3), that serviced his own. His friend held the RPM’s higher to keep the engine from stalling while he sprayed the fluid inside the intake hose. He told me that it was unreal how much black soot blew out the back, initially, then went away on repeated sprays. So, I dunno. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the "fuel system cleaning". It likely won't be worth their asking cost as you can do it yourself. If you prefer not to though, it just depends on how much you're willing to spend to have the procedure done. I'd probably just have your friend walk you through it and get him some beer and pizza as thanks, lol. I personally think a throttle body/intake valve chemical cleaning is good practice, and plan to do my first one around the same time I do the spark plugs (when I hit 75k kms - currently nearing 52k kms).

Thanks. I agree. Besides, what’s more fun than the feeling of accomplishment when you successfully beat the Dealership at their own game?

This Spring, as the weather warms up, I plan on taking my caliper slides out for a good cleaning and lubricating. It will also let me inspect the pads and rotors for any abnormal wear/appearance.

Wow wow. Dealer service is very impressive and your Red Mazda6 looks very cool.

To OP,
You should ask them next time how they perform the "fuel system service" per se.
Don't assume they spray Seaform into the intake, which you can DIY easily.

As for trans fluid and brake fluid at 30k, your call.
I did them for my cars, but it is not really a must.

Great dealer, BTW.

I just came back from a $69.99 oil change (synthetic) and tire rotation.
Good deal in SF Bay Area. Usually $99.99.
As usual, they told me the filters are dirty... my reply has always been, "Thanks. I will do them myself." The guy sounds disappointed. Oh, well.

sm1ke, not really sure where are you located but if you are in GTA, go to Achilles Mazda. IMO probably the best Mazda dealer in GTA and the service guys are really great. They are doing the same service with the camera, they will send you a link to your phone with a video and an inspection of your car, from tires to cooling levels, pads, tire rods, underneath the car.

Back