Mazda 3 Resonator and Muffler delete

Mazda__3

:
Mazda 3
Hey guys, christmas is coming around and i've been trying to decide what mods i want to do to my car. I've really wanted to do something to the exhaust for some time now because the 2.3l stock exhaust is too quiet. I've been reading about resonator and muffler deletes, as well as putting in a new tip (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/N1-STYLE-4-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2590d4fc96&vxp=mtr) but i'm not 100% sure the stuff ill need when i take it to the shop. I'd like to get the resonator and muffler deleted at the same time, as well as the tip put on if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

My car is a 2005 Mazda 3 sport 2.3L

Have you listened to startup and drive by with that setup? If not, I suggest that you do before having the work done. Some turbo-charged cars can get away with muffler/resonator deletes, since exhaust sound is already reduced, compared to non-turbo cars. The last time I was at an exhaust shop, some guy had his muffler and resonator deleted and dang, that car was super-loud - enough so that I would bet the owner was going to get stopped by the police. I'm talkin ear-splitting loud at even mid-throttle.

Personally, I like the Magnaflow sound and the local shop carries their mufflers, cats, and cat-back systems. I currently have a giant glass-pack muffler on my MX5. It will be replaced with a Magnaflow muffler. The glass-pack muffler isn't much of a muffler at all. It sound like a 4 cylinder car with no exhaust - very irritating after more then 15 minutes of driving.

stock pipe is 2 1/4" DIA , I found that on walker exhaust's website, from what I have seen on other performance aftermarket MFG it goes to 2 3/8" DIA pipe........ your choice, I would run a MF resonator at the very least. That way it sounds cleaner.

I hope my neighbours aren't reading this thread, but i'm trying to make it loud. I'm honestly not a fan of the aftermarket catback exhausts as well i don't really have the money to spend on one.

Have you heard a mazda 3 without a resonator and muffler? Or one without the other?

I hope my neighbours aren't reading this thread, but i'm trying to make it loud. I'm honestly not a fan of the aftermarket catback exhausts as well i don't really have the money to spend on one.
Hmmm... maybe if you're afraid to admit what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it.
I don't know why your lack of money should be everyone else's problem.

Have you heard a mazda 3 without a resonator and muffler?
No, but I'm pretty sure it sounds like a piece of crap owned by an inconsiderate jerk. But that's just my opinion...

I just thought of a solution: move into a neighborhood entirely filled with jerks riding Harleys with open exhausts... and never drive the car out of the neighborhood. Then no-muffler will sound no worse than the rest of the surrounding noisemakers.

Last edited:
Hmmm... maybe if you're afraid to admit what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it.

No, but I'm pretty sure it sounds like a piece of crap owned by an inconsiderate jerk. But that's just my opinion...

I just thought of a solution: move into a neighborhood entirely filled with jerks riding Harleys with open exhausts... and never drive the car out of the neighborhood. Then no-muffler will sound no worse than the rest of the surrounding noisemakers.
Dang your neighbor must really have upset you.

I once lived in such a neighborhood. In fact, the "Hog Club" was within walking distance of my house. Being a 16 year old kid (who had little to do during Summer months) and someone who hated the ear-splitting sound of the Harleys at full throttle, going up the hill in front of the house, I would occasionally use the riders as target practice with my BB gun. :)

Back