Maybe new owner...have some questions

riff42

:
2016 CX-5 GT. Deep, holy crap that is dark, blue.
Howdy all. Looking into a CX-3 or maybe 5 if for some reason the wife doesn't like it.
First off: How is the ride on the AWD?
Second: headlights. I'm going to opt for the LED....has anyone used this yet? How is it at night? Night vision is a big concern over here in the woodsy mid-east!!!! Stupid deer.
Third: Meh, any other thoughts? I haven't test driven one yet, I will be tomorrow, but want to get some heads up. I've already test drove the Fiat 500x, and...meh...it didn't "feel" solid. I'll be coming off a lease on a '12 Mini Countryman All4, which feels very solid. I don't LIKE the turbo lag, but the engine sounds so nice at times. The Fiat just sounded like a car. HA.

Sounds like you still have some test driving to do...

I would drive both the cx-5 and cx-3 to get a feel for both. However I think the cx-3 will feel lighter and snappier than the Countryman, as it is 270 pounds lighter at 2952lb for the AWD GT.

The cx-5 will feel a little higher, larger, and slower, the GT AWD model is 370lbs heavier than your outgoing Mini. The Mini Countryman S ALL4 3220lb vs cx5 AWD GT 3590lb.

Your insurance, maintenance, and fuel costs should all go down with either Mazda.

Have not driven the AWD - don't need it in the wilds of DFW except maybe once a year. The LED headlights are very bright and I love the color temperatuere. That and the fact that the fog lights and LED trim lights all match. The headlights are also "adaptive" in that they swivel in the direction you are turning, which would help out in woodsy sections, I would imagine. The car is light but does feel very solid and thought the engine is not as powerful, there certainly is no turbo lag!

I own a CX-3 GT AWD. I traded in a CX-5 GT AWD so I have some background with both vehicles. Now my CX-5 was a 2013, so I know it has been upgraded a little since then, with a bigger engine, slightly nicer interior and some tech goodies. I tested both engines on the CX-5 before deciding I really didn't need the bigger one. The ride with AWD is great. It is just a fun vehicle to zoom down twisty roads. It's definitely more fun to drive and more solid feeling than the CX-5. The lights are very bright. When the hi-beams are on, you light up the neighbourhood. Even the low-beams do a great job of lighting the road ahead of you and around the corner when turning. I definitely don't regret trading in the CX-5.

I own a CX-3 GT AWD. I traded in a CX-5 GT AWD so I have some background with both vehicles. Now my CX-5 was a 2013, so I know it has been upgraded a little since then, with a bigger engine, slightly nicer interior and some tech goodies. I tested both engines on the CX-5 before deciding I really didn't need the bigger one. The ride with AWD is great. It is just a fun vehicle to zoom down twisty roads. It's definitely more fun to drive and more solid feeling than the CX-5. The lights are very bright. When the hi-beams are on, you light up the neighbourhood. Even the low-beams do a great job of lighting the road ahead of you and around the corner when turning. I definitely don't regret trading in the CX-5.

Great feedback experience. I am curious, since you have now had the same 2.0L motor, in the same driving scenario, for cx3, and cx5, how has your MPG changed?

I know that there is 9 horsepower less in the cx3 2.0L vs the cx5 2.0L. This is due to the packaging constraints for the skyactiv exhaust manifold in the cx3 chassis.

Better gas mileage. I'm averaging about 32-33mpg. Worst I've seen over a tank was 29, and that was with bombing around town for pretty much the entire tank and accelerating pretty aggressively. It just seems effortless to get good mileage. I noticed when my wife drove the CX-5, she would tend to get about 3-5mpg lower than I did. Now it's a wash.

Back