Mark's 2004 MSM Build

So, what do you have into this vehicle total so far? If you don't mind my asking.

not counting the vehicle cost...let's see..not a whole bunch...suspension, wheels and tires included probably 2,500$..all bolt on's (that includes many little bits as well, gauges/pods, lighting, o2 mod,wires...etc

That's it Mark? For some reason I thought it was a little more. You better start moving if you want to catch up to what you had invested in the P5. ;) haha

Ya, maybe a little more but not much, I got many of the parts new/used at highly discounted price too

Went to Miata day at Larz Anderson Sunday, brought home a trophy for best Mazdaspeed Miata!
bdff8020d771ec8c1050c4c678c94211.jpg

Got a close up look at the ND too!

Last edited:
Yes, Robin! Well, what she asked me was " would you sell the current Miata in but an ND?" I said no, but I'd keep his one and buy one, she said "I dont think so!"(lol2)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
got her all cleaned up and packed for LRP weekend, heading out in about 3 hrs, can't wait!
larz%207-15_zpssrzk5t0m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lol at Robin's answer, she sounds just like Tam!

Congrats on your win, another trophy to add to the mantle. :)

Be safe out there!

upgrades on the way...new upper and lower control arms...got a nice discount thru MS motorsports...also a slightly used 5 speed tranny, the 6 speed is gotta go!

Oh ya, ssm, I'm bsp now which isn't real fair I'm really more concerned about the fun factor and learning to drive faster in control

Last edited:
4 autox's the last 2 months and I'm all in!
If I'm going to go any faster I've got to stop hitting the damn rev limiter!

The 5 speed will help, but with turbo power, it might be worth looking into something like a 09-03 6-speed rear end, with the 3.909 gear, instead of the 4.1:1 that's in the MSM.

Playing around with FM's gearing calculator, assuming a 205/50/15 and stock rev limit, 2nd gear tops out in:

NB 6 speed w/ 4.1:1 - 53.1 mph
NB 5 speed w/ 4.1:1 - 63.8 mph (already, a huge, useful bump, and why I'm running the 4.1:1 in my car)
NB 5 speed w/ 3.9:1 - 67.0 mph

Play around with it more if you'd like:
https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/gearing.php

The 5 speed will help, but with turbo power, it might be worth looking into something like a 09-03 6-speed rear end, with the 3.909 gear, instead of the 4.1:1 that's in the MSM.

Playing around with FM's gearing calculator, assuming a 205/50/15 and stock rev limit, 2nd gear tops out in:

NB 6 speed w/ 4.1:1 - 53.1 mph
NB 5 speed w/ 4.1:1 - 63.8 mph (already, a huge, useful bump, and why I'm running the 4.1:1 in my car)
NB 5 speed w/ 3.9:1 - 67.0 mph

Play around with it more if you'd like:
https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/gearing.php
ya, the two options are the 3.63:1 gears or 5 speed, the gears are a lot more expensive and there are few places that will change them out. The 5 speed I can do myself with minor mods and they are essential the same ratios.

Oh yeah, the transmission is definitely the 80% benefit with 20% cost & effort, I'm not trying to steer you away from doing it.

Oh yeah, the transmission is definitely the 80% benefit with 20% cost & effort, I'm not trying to steer you away from doing it.
Ya, I didn't think you were, the bad part is the move ssm, but I can live with that...I really found this year, my car to be much of my limits, although I certainly can improve my driving skills as well. I'm working on little pieces that will add up for me now, launch, my braking, using my left foot...easing off the gas appropriately in my turns etc.

Back