Mark's 2004 MSM Build

bazooka joe

No words
Contributor
:
92 & 16 Meyatas
so as most of you know i picked up 2004 velocity redMSM with 27k miles last week, car is awesome fun!! i plan on having this car a long while and will only be driving it from april to nov. i still have the boosted 2002 p5 as my "winta beata".
i've started to hunt around for some of the mods that i'd either like to do or should be done. i'm not interested in swapping out the turbo at this juncture. i think with a nice CAI, exhaust (not loud but less restrictive), upgrades to the piping i'd be happy right now.
BEGI has this as a reccomended starting point, thoughts? i've not heard great things about Xede...do you know why? reecommendations on exhausts? thanks, and let the build begin!(breakn)
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=pageHeading>Recommened Upgrades</TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=category_desc align=left colSpan=2>
Listed below is the recommended upgrades from BEGi. Our premise is to make the most power at the lowest possible boost level.

1. Turbo system. While this is not every one's first choice, it is ours. Mazda put an excellent suspension on the MSM and the wimpiest turbo known to man. So if you want to maximize the potential, replace the turbo system. If that is not your preference, please refer to the rest of the list.
2. Throttle Inlet Tube. This piece must be the first item to go. It is rubber and expands to three times it's size under boost. It is very prone to cracking at the seems and falling off. If not replaced it could potentially leave you stranded on the side of the road.
3. Boost Gauge. You need to know what boost level you are running. A boost gauge is also a good indicator to see if the engine has been damaged. You should never run a boosted car without a boost gauge.
4. Bypass Valve. Upgrading to the Forge Bypass valve will help the boost stay at 8 psi instead of peaking and dropping off.
5. Cool Air Intake System. Unlike other systems, the BEGI Cool Air Intake sources fresh air for more power. Cooler air will always make more power. The BEGI Cool Air Intake does not need a manual boost controller to make more power.
6. Downpipe. Part of the path to more power includes less restrictions in the exhaust path. The Downpipe is larger than stock and also includes a metallic core catalytic converter. The metallic core cat will make 5-10 whp more than any "Hi Flow" cat. We offer both stock replacement downpipes and separated gases downpipes. The fully separated gases downpipe can cause boost creep.
7. Exhaust System. Also helps to eliminate restrictions in the exhaust path.
All of these upgrade will net a little less than 200 whp at stock boost levels. Beyond that, we strongly recommend that you add an Xede Engine Management System and larger injectors.
8. Xede EMS. The Xede will control fuel, timing, boost levels, and open loop/closed loop functions. The Xede will take you to the limits of the 440 cc injectors and stock engine internals. The Xede can pass OBD II inspection. It also has functions to allow you to switch maps 'on the fly' and control a water injection system. The Xede EMS system includes the larger injectors, PNP ECU Harness, Boost Restrictor Pill, and software.
9. Wideband O2 Gauge. You will need to add a wideband O2 gauge if you have upgraded the engine management system. This will allow you to do most of the tuning yourself and still provide the peace of mind that the car has plenty of fuel.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
my first mod tomorrow - removing the WOLO "Bad Boy" horn from my p5 and installing it on the msm
badboy%20419%20logo.jpg

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

in doing some research, it looks like both FM and BEGI have a plethora of products to support more power for the msm, but both have fit and finish issues...i went through all that with MAM...i was hoping with the miata supplier support that wasn't going to be an issue. i'm not going thru what i went thru with MAM, and i'm sure some of the issues are minor, just need to keep research before i spend the $$ this time!

so, i picked up some HID's 6000k, bought a helmet sunday from a fellow nepocer, and just ordered my new cat back from Ken @ PG...free shipping!
(2thumbs)
56461.jpg

Helmet? Sounds like some autox is in your near future. And nice exhaust. Do you plan on doing any appearance mods as well?

yup, going to hit the cones this spring! prob nothing on apperance right now...i'm think all motor currently...like to get the hp up to around 200 without a new turbo and ems...actually don't want to touch the engine at all! so intake, exhaust and a fmic...this winta!

Mahk, you're supposed to go AROUND the cones, not HIT them :p

haha...can't help but think with my "aggressive" driving style i may hit one or two!(drive2)

yup, going to hit the cones this spring! prob nothing on apperance right now...i'm think all motor currently...like to get the hp up to around 200 without a new turbo and ems...actually don't want to touch the engine at all! so intake, exhaust and a fmic...this winta!

Sweet!! congrats on the msm btw, i love the pearl paint. Subbing to see how the car does with boltons.

another goodie on the way!(flash)

Attachments

• injen intake.jpg
    injen intake.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,800
pics coming.....so lawrence, you running the power plus as well? how do you like it?

Subbing for more MSM goodness

So is Phen living vicariously through you since his came already done? lol

Back