ND MX-5 Mark’s 2016 ND Build

So no warning signs at all re: the trans? I have heard of the issue but don't know too much about it.

I’m at 24k miles, no mechanical issues at all, transmission is working well, although most that have popped were not experiencing an issues beforehand.

So no warning signs at all re: the trans? I have heard of the issue but don't know too much about it.
Great to know your Miata has been trouble-free so far but wondering the same thing, that's a bit unnerving!

It’s hard to determine why and when and to whom. Most of the transmissions that have blown up were Clubs, modified to some extent, and autox or tracked. I. Say most because some have reported never autox or tracked and were unmodified. Most just got bang with no notice, no funny nosie, no hard shifting....just boom! Mileage has not mattered, some were 20k one I know of was 64k miles. I’m concerned that some of the issues were related to the driver and they’re “style” of driving/shifting. I’m at 25k now who knows...😬..let’s face it, they shaved a whole lot of weight from the car, some of it came out of the tranny as well! 😉

It’s hard to determine why and when and to whom. Most of the transmissions that have blown up were Clubs, modified to some extent, and autox or tracked. I. Say most because some have reported never autox or tracked and were unmodified. Most just got bang with no notice, no funny nosie, no hard shifting....just boom! Mileage has not mattered, some were 20k one I know of was 64k miles. I’m concerned that some of the issues were related to the driver and they’re “style” of driving/shifting. I’m at 25k now who knows...😬..let’s face it, they shaved a whole lot of weight from the car, some of it came out of the tranny as well! 😉
Interesting...Do you know if this affects all ND years so far or have they made changes to the transmission?

It has effected 16-18, in 19 they went to a dual mass flywheel and rev #5 of the tranny, I’ve not heard of any 19‘s or 20’s detonating.
savagegeese has an interview with Dave Coleman Miata Designer and he explains how they didn’t break any during the testing of the ND. As soon as they got on the track as cup cars, many explosions.
I think because mazda made this tranny in house they may have missed an essential design or manufacturing piece and the revisions have not solved it up and until 19/20.

Attachments

• A7EECBAA-717D-4F46-B472-FC4F7DB0D97C.jpeg
    A7EECBAA-717D-4F46-B472-FC4F7DB0D97C.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 339
It has effected 16-18, in 19 they went to a dual mass flywheel and rev #5 of the tranny, I’ve not heard of any 19‘s or 20’s detonating.
savagegeese has an interview with Dave Coleman Miata Designer and he explains how they didn’t break any during the testing of the ND. As soon as they got on the track as cup cars, many explosions.
I think because mazda made this tranny in house they may have missed an essential design or manufacturing piece and the revisions have not solved it up and until 19/20.
Fascinating and good to know...Do you know if the auto transmissions have suffered a similar fate? Granted I'm not sure how many people track Miatas with auto transmissions.

Fascinating and good to know...Do you know if the auto transmissions have suffered a similar fate? Granted I'm not sure how many people track Miatas with auto transmissions.
Not an issue for the automatic. The auto did have a recall for a sudden down shift, but the was an easy reprogram of the ecm.

finished detailing the engine bay. honestly it wasn't that bad...even after driving it for 5 months were it normally would be stored, driving in NC and FL did it no harm. looks like I drove for a while with a small nail in my drivers front Direzza. very slow leak but I cant patch it, its to close to the edge of the tire wall.

Attachments

• IMG_7223.JPG
    IMG_7223.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 353
Thanks for the quick explanation of the trans issues. A little unnerving if you are an owner, just waiting to see if it goes or not.

Engine bay looks great...as always. :p Sorry to hear you can't fix the tire. Sticking with the Direzza's or going another route?

not sure....i like them, but the road noise of directional tires as they wear is almost unbearable on the highway...but they sure are sticky

Long awaited update, haha.....bought a one new direzza, stuck it on the back for autox only....can’t drive these as reg daily tires....just to noisy.
Added a few stiffing components, new chromoly front strut bar, and a K bar that goes right under the tranny area....4 point mid brace next.
Installed a fire extinguisher mount, passenger side floor board. Some shows require them now, and not a bad item to have on board.
Added some bling, red painted cover over the coils and Mazda door strike covers.
I need some new summer street tires, any recommendations? I hear the Firestone fire hawks Indy 500’s are pretty good?

Attachments

• D581C747-6A7A-4BAD-957A-3F0CB7998DFE.jpeg
    D581C747-6A7A-4BAD-957A-3F0CB7998DFE.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 317
  • 69283D9F-3BC2-44E9-A1D6-B1063F47CA0E.jpeg
    69283D9F-3BC2-44E9-A1D6-B1063F47CA0E.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 384B83F4-C4EA-4105-9E16-6038D44B2779.jpeg
    384B83F4-C4EA-4105-9E16-6038D44B2779.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 50E90C04-E97B-4CCE-A219-F3379C370CE0.jpeg
    50E90C04-E97B-4CCE-A219-F3379C370CE0.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 0078B32E-D75E-4CC7-AD24-3024E383F416.jpeg
    0078B32E-D75E-4CC7-AD24-3024E383F416.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 306
I had the OG Conti DWS on the P5 and liked them but they did have a softer sidewall. Haven't had a set of Cont's since so don't know if that has changed with the future gens or maybe the ECS as it's a summer tire?

Just got an email from Discount Tire Direct that they are doing a flash sale tomorrow and Wednesday (they have been doing one every month for the last few months). Anyway the ECS are in the $100 off column.

just changed the oil, greased the sways, rotated the tires and packing the car cover for the annual trip to NC/FL. flying back sunday....heading back down in the cx5 Jan 1.
ya, forgot....just added the FOBO tire monitoring system...so far works great.

Attachments

• IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 3.48.35 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 3.48.35 PM.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Hmmmm, I have never heard of that system before. Could they at least make the sensors/caps a little sleeker? In the pics, they look huge and like they would be out of place on the valve stems.

It’s the battery size that does it....I don’t mind the size to much. Because the OEM system is so fraught with error, I couldn’t stand the false idiot light and beep going off...in the middle of I78 near Easton PA, and elsewhere! 😉

Attachments

• DF3AC662-E6BB-4DB0-8808-B1797660641E.jpeg
    DF3AC662-E6BB-4DB0-8808-B1797660641E.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 305
I Just ignore the light and check them manually. Make sure you take them off at the track.

I jealous of your trip south. Just put chains on the tractor.

I Just ignore the light and check them manually. Make sure you take them off at the track.

I jealous of your trip south. Just put chains on the tractor.
Good point! If only you kept going south a few more years......we could have hooked up in FL!

It’s the battery size that does it....I don’t mind the size to much. Because the OEM system is so fraught with error, I couldn’t stand the false idiot light and beep going off...in the middle of I78 near Easton PA, and elsewhere! 😉

At least you know of a place to stop for some air, food and lodging (if needed). :)

Speaking of, I need to get a new air compressor. My pancake was lost in the flood. Opened the garage door and it was floating, thankfully it didn't hit the Jeep.

Back