Lug Nuts

I have a 2018 CX-5 with the 19" factory wheels; I recently purchased a set of factory 19" wheels from a 2019 CX-5 to update my vehicle. The seller included a full set of lug nuts with the replacement wheels. The new lug nuts are "acorn" style, while the old ones on the vehicle have a bulge on the bottom. Just wondering if the acorn style ones are typically used on the newer model wheels, or if I should mount the new wheels with the bulge type lug nuts.

The Mazda lug nuts on the vehicles have been the same since early 2006 from all of the Mazda vehicles I've owned.

If you are going from 2018 OEM to 2019 OEM, I'd use the lugs you currently have. Not clear if the 2019 owner changed from stock.

Without pics, not quite sure what the differences are. Mazda's are supposed to use Acorn style lug nuts and I'm referring to the seat of the lug as opposed to the overall shape.

Upvote 0
I have not researched Mazda lug nuts, but from previous work on Acura and Hondas, it seems there are three types of lug nut seats

Acorn/Connical - a 60 degree conical seat
Bulge/Spherical/Ball - a hemishperical seat almost half a sphere
Flat/Flat with washer - a flat seat with a washer

Typically, as I learned, most "tuner" wheels come with the acorn/conical, and typically are sent with new lug nuts. These are typically the 5x114.3 mm bolt circle wheels. On heavier cars, that use the 5x120mm bolt circle, I have typically seen spherical or flat seat lug seats. But I have only seen a small sample of such wheels, including run flats.

Based on the Mazda CX5 Manual, it looks as if Mazda uses the traditional acorn/conical lug seat.

1611008437250.png

My Subaru WRX uses the same acorn/conical seat, which I believe to be the same as the Mazda. Our Mazda is in the body shop right now, so I cannot tell you for sure.
1611008728538.png

For my Subaru WRX winter wheels, Motegi MR118, they use conical lug seats, but the lug nuts that came with the wheels also a need a special thin wall splined socket. All came from Tire Rack

1611009048474.png

I just thought I would post this for those interested in crazy details

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have not researched Mazda lug nuts, but from previous work on Acura and Hondas, it seems there are three types of lug nut seats

Acorn/Connical - a 60 degree conical seat
Bulge/Spherical/Ball - a hemishperical seat almost half a sphere
Flat/Flat with washer - a flat seat with a washer

Typically, as I learned, most "tuner" wheels come with the acorn/conical, and typically are sent with new lug nuts. These are typically the 5x114.3 mm bolt circle wheels. On heavier cars, that use the 5x120mm bolt circle, I have typically seen spherical or flat seat lug seats. But I have only seen a small sample of such wheels, including run flats.

Based on the Mazda CX5 Manual, it looks as if Mazda uses the traditional acorn/conical lug seat.

View attachment 294351

My Subaru WRX uses the same acorn/conical seat, which I believe to be the same as the Mazda. Our Mazda is in the body shop right now, so I cannot tell you for sure.
View attachment 294353

For my Subaru WRX winter wheels, Motegi MR118, they use conical lug seats, but the lug nuts that came with the wheels also a need a special thin wall splined socket. All came from Tire Rack

View attachment 294354
I just thought I would post this for those interested in crazy details
Great info! Yes, our CX-5 uses the traditional acorn / conical lug nuts.

Upvote 0
Old thread revival.

Feeling stupid asking this . . . trying to replace factory lug nuts with a set of black lug nuts, nothing special. While looking for the type I want, noticed almost all the lug nuts are described with, ie; "m12 x 1.5 with 21mm hex and for VOLVO or such Car Maker name ", made me wondering I should only get what was designated for Mazda only.

I thought if I buy "M12 x 1.5 with 21mm Hex with Acorn/Conical seat" will fit my factory wheels, am I missing something? Please feel free to educate me.

Upvote 0
Back