CX-5 Lug Nuts

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I wanted to see if my impact gun would remove the lug nuts on the wheels, sometimes they come very tight from the factory. It came off and I put it back on. I used a shortish 17mm socket. I noticed that the top of the lug nut got pushed in, no longer round. It must be hollow and pretty thin metal. What is with that? I never had a car with fragile lug nuts before. So only use a deep socket to remove your lug nuts.

Got a pic?

I've never heard of this happening before, and an impact gun was used on my CX-9 when I had my winter tires fitted to the OEM wheels.

Maybe bring the dented lug nuts into the dealership to get them replaced?

The lug nuts may have caps. My 2013 Ford Escape's lug nuts were capped and after a couple of years and tire changes (summer to winter tire change over) a couple of the caps came off. I eventually changed them to solid McGard lug nuts.

Wade

Got a pic?

I've never heard of this happening before, and an impact gun was used on my CX-9 when I had my winter tires fitted to the OEM wheels.

Maybe bring the dented lug nuts into the dealership to get them replaced?

Here are pics, normal and squished. I squished two of them (hand). I don't think they would be covered because I actively did it. They work fine and it's not really noticeable. The lug nuts reached the top of the socket I used. Then won't reach the top of a deep socket so they won't get damaged using a deep socket.

Normal.jpg

Squished.jpg

Ive seen that area dented before from dropping them on the concrete. Never that extreme, but not surprising if you were pushing on the impact gun with a shallow socket.

I got a set of lug nut sockets to help prevent marring the lugs or wheels. The inside of the socket that would contact the face of the lug if it wasnt deep enough is plastic.

Last edited:
I*ve seen that area dented before from dropping them on the concrete. Never that extreme, but not surprising if you were pushing on the impact gun with a shallow socket.

I got a set of lug nut sockets to help prevent marring the lugs or wheels. The inside of the socket that would contact the face of the lug if it wasn*t deep enough is plastic.

Apparently they have stainless steel caps. I found this lug nut socket:
https://www.autozone.com/ratchets-s...ive-17-mm-non-marring-lug-nut-socket/453035_0

This works too and shouldn't mess them up. It is what I have but didn't use. I think I will wrap it in black tape and see if it still fits:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...int-Deep-Impact-Socket-H2DDPIMP17MM/205532680

This fits the lugs good and the tape should make it safe. I'm pretty confident in it. My OCD is making me buy two OEM lugs (sad2)

DeepSocket.jpg

Last edited:
Are those the factory lug nuts as they appear to be too short for the studs.

From the above pics, it looks like the bolt was tightened down and the stud pushed through the top of the lug. If the socket was too short, the lug would just not fully tighten.

Normally, Lug nuts should be hand tightened to ~85 - 100 lb/ft .

If an air gun is used to install lugs, they should be used just to spin the lug nut down and final hand tightened using a torque wrench.

Here are pics, normal and squished. I squished two of them (hand). I don't think they would be covered because I actively did it. They work fine and it's not really noticeable. The lug nuts reached the top of the socket I used. Then won't reach the top of a deep socket so they won't get damaged using a deep socket.

Normal.jpg

Squished.jpg

Easy fix. Just squish all of the lugs so that they all look the same. Problem solved.

Don't be afraid to go to the dealer. Just explain what happened, you might be dealing with a compassionate person who decides to give you a couple of replacement lugs at no charge.

Don't be afraid to go to the dealer. Just explain what happened, you might be dealing with a compassionate person who decides to give you a couple of replacement lugs at no charge.

I am too afraid to ask, maybe I will idk. Two lug nuts will be about $15. Had I realized they had caps, which I have never heard of in my life, I would have been more careful.

Are those the factory lug nuts as they appear to be too short for the studs.

From the above pics, it looks like the bolt was tightened down and the stud pushed through the top of the lug. If the socket was too short, the lug would just not fully tighten.

Normally, Lug nuts should be hand tightened to ~85 - 100 lb/ft .

If an air gun is used to install lugs, they should be used just to spin the lug nut down and final hand tightened using a torque wrench.

They are factory and not too short. The top of the lugs reached the bottom of the socket and my pushing the gun against them to loosen them, with the hammering action of the wrench squeezed the tops down. I use the gun to put them on and then torque then to 90lb/ft with a torque wrench. The picture of the deep socket above does no damage because the top of the lugs do not touch anything.

This is why I never use an air gun on lug nuts. I do it all by hand and then do the final tightening with a torque wrench. And i also use a deep, plastic lined socket when I loosen/tighten them.

This is why I like discount tire, they use torque wrench on passenger cars.. when you only need ~90 ft lbs (per factory) why the f would you hit it with an impact gun putting out 200-500 t lbs.. comes in handy when you need to remove your flat wheel/tire on the road somewhere lol

Back