Lowering my CX-5

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Just bought my Cx-5 touring! Absolutely love it! I would like to eventually lower the car. I have 17 inch rims and personally think the appearance would look much better by lowering the car 1-2 inches.

If I lower the car by only 1 inch, will it negatively affect the car in any way? Would love to hear from someone who has done this!!

Also, from other forum posts, I think this would cost about $250 to do...does that sound right?

If "from other forum posts" you know how much the springs cost, I assume you have been reading threads from others here who have lowered their CX-5s and what the outcome, both positive and negative, has been. What else specifically are you looking for?

I never found any threads of someone who only lowered 1 inch. I am wondering what the total price would be for taking this to a shop vs doing it myself.

Last edited:
I never found any threads of someone who only lowered 1 inch. I am wondering what the total price would be for taking this to a shop vs doing it myself.

The shop who did my lowering springs charged about $275. A different shop quoted $800. The shop I went to also did the alignment included in that $275.

There are one or two people on the forum who have lowered 1" using Eibach springs imported from the UK (Eibach USA does not stock springs for the CX-5). They run around $350 with shipping across the pond. More commonly used (including myself) are H&R springs which drop the car 1.25" in the front and 1.75" in the rear (which levels the car) and are widely available for under $250 including shipping. Corksport offers springs that drop the car over 3". I don't believe they've been terribly successful with this product as the negative camber generated (especially in the rear) is more severe than the other springs mentioned. Expect some inner tire wear from any of these choices as camber is not adjustable (without aftermarket suspension parts-which are just now becoming available) and a somewhat stiffer ride. As for installation cost, it's going to vary from region to region and shop to shop. It's really not that difficult a DIY project.

Honesy in over 75000 mi on h&rs in two cx5s, i did not have anytire wear issues related to not being able to adjust rear camber. Im sure with a 1" drop it would be even less of an issue. I think h&r are a good ride height for anyone. They are tuv approved as well i.e they dont inhibit the cars utility. For example it still is higher than a stock mazda 6.

Back