Low oil level light on?

Hello,

I just changed my oil, 4.5 quarts of oil, but the low oil level light is on? I have no leak. The light only goes on when I drive more than 5 miles. Any ideas?

Attachments

• F1054059-7E88-4D44-B0C5-ADE02D9993AF.png
    F1054059-7E88-4D44-B0C5-ADE02D9993AF.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 172
What is the oil level on the dipstick? What year is your Mazda6? Does it have the 2.5 turbo engine?

I don't know what MY your Mazda6 is, but that light, according to the 2020 Mazda6 Owner's Manual, is a low oil level warning light, indicating that the oil level is at or below the MIN mark on the dipstick.

Fill the oil until it is anywhere between the center of the two holes and the top hole (refer to the picture below).

IMG_20200331_185517.jpg

As @Silly Wabbit said, add more oil and check the dipstick until the oil level is where it needs to be. It's not enough to simply add 4.5 quarts and call it good, the amount is an approximation (as explained in the manual) and doesn't account for drain time, oil dilution or oil consumption.

If your oil level is good according to the dipstick, and you're still seeing that warning light, the dealer may need to take a look.

Upvote 0
Yes. Looks good, light still on. I added 4.5 qts during the oil change. Is this normal for the light to still be going on?
I hope you found the answer to this. If not, here is what I found. I had the same thing happen in my last oil Change in our 2020 2.5 CX5-G. I changed the oil, the filter, and added back 4.5 quarts of 5W-30 oil. The dipstick was very strange in that one side would remain dry while the other side appeared to be over full...I checked it a couple of dozen times in disbelief, but it persisted. Finally after a lot of frustration, I just went ahead and added the final half quart from the 5 quart jug of Mobil 1, and the oil was exactly midway between the high and low holes on both sides of the dipstick. So, apparently my CX5-G takes 5 quarts of oil, not the 4.8 per the manual and website. The hardest part is that last .5 quart completely changed whether the dipstick read completely strange to exactly between the high and low holes. Very strange.
It is almost like Mazda put the Turbo oil pan (5.1 quarts) onto the non-turbo (4.8 quarts) engine.

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, a half quart extra will not harm anything. I typically put in 5 quarts if the manual calls for 4.75 quarts with oil filter.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I just changed my oil, 4.5 quarts of oil, but the low oil level light is on? I have no leak. The light only goes on when I drive more than 5 miles. Any ideas?
Did my second oil change on my CX-5 30,000 miles on it this is since I bought it used with 24,000 miles the last oil change was never cleared on the computer nor did I do it on this second one after I change the oil that's when the light came on I believe this is done on purpose because if you're not changing your oil they want to scare you into bringing it in so now I had shut it off on the computer if you look online you can I will keep you posted if it comes back on

Upvote 0
Back